FA Eterna VS Hippo VB
Apr 9, 2010 at 2:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

shadow84

100+ Head-Fier
As per title, which is a better choice? currently listening to Kpop and Jpop in mostly FLAC format. Like bass, but would not want it to overpower the treble and clarity.

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #4 of 24
I asked a person who owns Eterna and IE8 great a difference between them, so he replied that there is a difference, but it is not very big. IE8 more detailed and they have a little more soundstage. But these differences are noticeable only at home - on the street is the difference almost disappears, probably because of more poor sound insulation in IE8.
I can only say that Eterna sounds better than the Klipsch S4, which in turn sound better than ordinary Monster Turbine ..

Apr 9, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #6 of 24
I can't compare the two but I have the VB's and they are really great on bass without overpowering or bleeding into the treble and mid range. For their price they are a great deal.

But as the other person said they need ALOT of burn in before they sound their best.

Apr 10, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #7 of 24
Agreed, if you're looking at a FA IEM the Silver Bullet or SBA-01 would fit the bill better. The SBA-01 isn't the strongest in the highs stock but with a bit of EQ they come alive and offer good clarity with warmth that is in general an upgrade over the Eterna.
It's a more controlled sound signature being an armature IEM, compared to the Eterna.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 24
Eterna with stock tips is more mid-bassy, and the VB is pure sub-bass. With good tips the Eterna is mostly sub-bass, so I don't know how they compare then. They're probably not a whole bunch different. If you don't want sibilance or the lengthy burn-in process, the Eterna might have an advantage. The main advantage of the Eterna is its similarity to the IE8 at a fraction of the cost and its extremely fun sound signature. If you're looking for balance and crystal clear highs, the Eterna is not for you, if that gives you any idea.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #11 of 24
What are you coming from? ie. are you coming from something better that might make you miss something in your other IEMs/earbuds, or are you just starting out, moving up in price? That is what determines if you'll be happy with the highs of the Eterna and other similar IEMs. I know you said you're concerned about the bass, but it's important to make sure you won't be unhappy with the rest of the spectrum.
The Eterna blends the spectrum very well (as in they compliment each other well, not bleeding in), and IMO does well in the mids on guitars etc. I can't comment on pop, but IMO it does well with pretty much anything that isn't extremely fast and would benefit from an IEM lighter on bass.

Apr 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #12 of 24
im actually just looking for an IEM that has a good bass without it affecting the vocals and all, like muffling it. I read through the forums and sum up to the Hippo VB and Eterna. But i dunnoe which is a better choice, so hoping to view people's comments about that 2 IEMs. My budget is below S$100 if possible, and thus, these 2 IEMs came at the top of my list.

Apr 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 24
The only thing i like my hippo vb is the sub-bass that I cant find it with my atrio. Soundstage, clarity, details, music separation of hippo vb can never compareable with IE8. They are just mediocre. But for the price, hippo vb is a very good deal.

Apr 10, 2010 at 4:10 AM Post #15 of 24
Good tips take out all of the mid-bass hump of the Eterna.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back