any race is better than nascar

nascar-cat22.jpg

VROOM VROOM!!!!
biggrin.gif

that's all i see.

Mar 21, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #47 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MotoGP is far more interesting than F1 and NAPCAR! I bet those car drivers must be bored out of their minds driving in ovals! How would you like to drive back and forth to the supermarket a hundred times?

Motorcycles are much more fun! It requires more skill and you make one mistake and you're out of the race. You even get to see people flying out of their motorcycles at almost 200MPH! Look at Rossi who without much F1 experience is already quite competitive against long-time F1 drivers, while when Schumacher tried riding he was is over 26 seconds slower than Rossi's laptime! People say that racing requires a lot of skill but while this is true, motorcycles take it to a whole new level of skill.

Do you think the fact that Rossi has been riding bikes for an entire lifetime made a difference in that comparison?

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #48 of 58
Probably gonna fall on deaf ears, but a while back, i tried out Nascar Racing 2003 on the PC with a logitech MOMO wheel. Driving on Daytona at 190 mph consistently while being inches from the nearest car and knowing that the slightest mistake will cause the Big One was probably one of the most intense gaming sessions in my life

Ever since that, I've had a new found respect for Nascar

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #49 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the fact that Rossi has been riding bikes for an entire lifetime made a difference in that comparison?

Yes, but bike riding skill carries over to driving cars, but not vice versa. After only driving F1 cars for a couple months, Rossi was only 1.5 seconds behind the record for that track, and beat out a lot of famous experienced F1 drivers. In rally racing he beat Colin McRae as well. So you can see that riding motorcycles require more skill and automatically makes you a better driver.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but bike riding skill carries over to driving cars, but not vice versa. After only driving F1 cars for a couple months, Rossi was only 1.5 seconds behind the record for that track, and beat out a lot of famous experienced F1 drivers. In rally racing he beat Colin McRae as well. So you can see that riding motorcycles require more skill and automatically makes you a better driver.

I agree about it carrying over, that is the thing about bikes, it is a completely different learning curve.

Anyway, Moto GP is awesome, but I would love to see Rossi in F1. He is an incredible talent, I think he would do very well. Plus, I think he's proven all he needs to prove on two wheels.

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

I agree about it carrying over, that is the thing about bikes, it is a completely different learning curve.

Anyway, Moto GP is awesome, but I would love to see Rossi in F1. He is an incredible talent, I think he would do very well. Plus, I think he's proven all he needs to prove on two wheels.

...but F1 is so boring...
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #52 of 58
Quote:

I don't want to see him in F1 only b/c I want him to stay in Moto GP. Especially after last year, he's gonna think he has to re-earn his name.

I think he should win more championships with Yamaha and then swich to Suzuki or Kawasaki projects to give them a chance!

Mar 21, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #54 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sheesh, so many great memories...thanks for bringing them up!

I'm so jealous. You got some pictures to share?

Do you drive or spectate now?
Vintage cars at Pacific Raceways?
Autocross at Bremerton?

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #55 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Walie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably gonna fall on deaf ears, but a while back, i tried out Nascar Racing 2003 on the PC with a logitech MOMO wheel. Driving on Daytona at 190 mph consistently while being inches from the nearest car and knowing that the slightest mistake will cause the Big One was probably one of the most intense gaming sessions in my life

Doesn't that apply to all other forms of motorsports? Thats like drag racers saying you can win or lose on how fast and accurately you shift gears.

Now factor in 5G braking, 4.5G corners, tire wear, downforce 2.5 times that of the car's weight, pit strategy, overtaking maneuvers, semi automatic transmission at 19,000RPM, team sponsorship, $1 billion F1 industry, biggest motorsport fan base in the world, races in 20 individual countries, atleast 10 years of race experience before the youngest of drivers enter F1, the prestige of racing the highest level of motorsports... and the fear that each driver is only one mistake or mechanical failure away from death. (very unlikely though) Only then you are merely glimpsing the world of Formula 1.

Just spend some time besides merely spectating F1. As I said before motorsports is never spectator friendly. If Formula 1 is speed skating, Formula D is figure skating. Perhaps Formula D is more spectator friendly, but you're not looking at the fastest men on the track.

Mar 21, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Yeah, a company that is one of dad's suppliers used to sponsor a Busche car. As a result, since dad was friends with these guys, he got to hang out with a few Buche/Winston drivers, and the way they explained it, one in particular, gave us a new respect for it. It only looks like a bunch of left turns, but there's a bit more strategy to getting one of these cars to go 500 miles, and there's far far far far far more teamwork between driver and crew than say, F1 from what I've heard

But yeah, nascar is currently riddled with problems. If TPTB would just let them go racing and get on with it, it'd be what it should be. Quit catering to the rednecks.

Mar 21, 2007 at 4:22 AM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

I've had the same experience with racing sims like live for speed, they've given me an appreciation of how fast Formula 1 car's are. They are simply amazing and my ultimate dream come true would be to take one out for a trackday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back