F1 Racing = Boring?
Mar 20, 2007 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

The Pieman

500+ Head-Fier
Does anybody else find F1 racing boring? I live in Melbourne and can in fact hear the engines during the race from home. I have actually been to the race twice and found that standing or sitting behind a safety fence watching cars go past that quickly you only actually see them for what seems like a nano second is very tedious. Alot of the time I don't think any spectator has a clue who is winning.

The other reason that I am over it is the money grubbing circus and the so-called glamour that surronds the circus.

I will give Melbourne one thing, at least its a street circuit which is more interesting to watch on TV.

Anybody else share these thoughts opinions?

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #3 of 58
Ed, I have watched the Indy 500 a couple of times on TV and it is right up there in the boredom stakes, espcially with some of the inane commentary that comes with it!

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ed, I have watched the Indy 500 a couple of times on TV and it is right up there in the boredom stakes, espcially with some of the inane commentary that comes with it!

Actually, I enjoy IndyCar (where cars can turn in both directions) far more than NASCAR, which is what I was making fun of.

World Rally is more interesting to me because of it's insanity. Particulary the killer Group B in the 80's.

-Ed

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #6 of 58
I enjoy all kinds of motorsport, Moto Gp [+ support classes] being my favorite.
But for live viewing if you want to see the whole race close up it has to be drag racing , a truly visceral experience
icon10.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 58
I like all of the auto racing mentioned above, but my most favorite is dirt track racing, outlaw sprint cars, yep - round and round.

Just like those ear thingies, they are boring, I mean you just stuff those buds in your ear, and they are boring, right?

Only to the uninterested!!

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anybody else find F1 racing boring? I live in Melbourne and can in fact hear the engines during the race from home. I have actually been to the race twice and found that standing or sitting behind a safety fence watching cars go past that quickly you only actually see them for what seems like a nano second is very tedious. Alot of the time I don't think any spectator has a clue who is winning.

The other reason that I am over it is the money grubbing circus and the so-called glamour that surronds the circus.

I will give Melbourne one thing, at least its a street circuit which is more interesting to watch on TV.

Anybody else share these thoughts opinions?

WOW, I envy you. The Australian GP at Phillip Island is in your very neighborhood! Take in a MotoGP race, and you may never care about automobiles again. Agree on the F1 races, but I would say that F1 is many degrees more interesting than than NASCAR. Flame away.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #12 of 58
You definitely see more of the race by watching it on TV, but that's no substitute for watching live. Perhaps it's just not your thing, but I've followed F1 since the early 80's and love the sport. I also love watching Moto GP. There is some huge talent in Moto GP and the races are exciting with lots of passing and brave moves. For sure many find F1 racing, and probably most forms of racing to be boring. My wife was one of them until we went to the USGP at Indy three years ago. She loved the sounds, the speed and the international flavor of the event. She admits it was boring until she understood it; how strategy plays into each race and just how much goes into building each car. We go every year now and just soak it all up. We paint national flags of our favorite team or driver on our faces, wear team shirts and talk to people who come from all over the world to watch the event. We sat near a group who all came up from Brazil last year (a lot of brazilian fans come to see the US race) and met a guy from England who was traveling around the world to every race. The sound of the cars close up, especially from above in the big Indy grandstand, is amazing, and my wife especially loves all the loud crackling and popping of the engines as they downshift. The braking of these cars must be seen to be believed; it's simply mind blowing just how late they brake into corners from 200+ MPH. Throughout the weekend we stay at a nice B&B about an hour from the track and just relax and make a nice vacation of it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I enjoy IndyCar (where cars can turn in both directions) far more than NASCAR, which is what I was making fun of.

World Rally is more interesting to me because of it's insanity. Particulary the killer Group B in the 80's.

-Ed

Haha, I took the 'turn in both directions' to mean that the drivers could drive clockwise or counterclockwise round the track, and I was like 'huh' for a moment, before I realised that in an oval you only steer in one direction
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 12:58 PM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW, I envy you. The Australian GP at Phillip Island is in your very neighborhood! Take in a MotoGP race, and you may never care about automobiles again. Agree on the F1 races, but I would say that F1 is many degrees more interesting than than NASCAR. Flame away.

NASCAR to me is just like basketball; just watch the last two minutes and the highlights on the news and you've seen all there is to see.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 58
My wife is a big NASCAR fan and our normal Sunday starts right after F1 when she finds the NASCAR pre-race shows and sets them for "record". Then she finds the race and records THAT. What ends up happening is she has as little as six hours of stuff recorded and often times as much as eight to twelve hours of total raceday coverage! Or More! It's insane!!

Then, after about two to three hours hours AFTER it starts she will start watching.

ZAP past the opening commercials, Zap past the stuff she doesn't care about, ZAP into the race, ZAP past more commercials and more commercials and more commercials, and into the boredom of watching rush hour on Atlanta freeways, ZAP through lots of that stuff until something interesting happens like someones fragile transmission breaks cuz they tried to put the car in reverse or second gear or something. ZAP past more commercials because they yellow flagged the race AGAIN cuz of debris on the track or some other made-up reason for yet another opportunity to show us the same commercials once again for the fiftysixth time! The commercials are cool though; you get to see more of the drivers in the ads than on the track!

But the cars are really cool! One size fits all with the only way to tell them apart is the headlight decals!! Good ol carbureted pushrod engines that just this month came out of the 70s by finally using no-lead fuel in their 13 or 14 gallon fuel cells! All the better to keep from putting too many miles on their plastic coated slippery-slidie tires!! And the only "good-ol-boy" American car with the greatest amount of US made components is the Toyota!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back