F1 Racing = Boring?
Mar 20, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizelbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would imagine that being at a race in person would be pretty boring. Lots of waiting with only a few, short moments of 'excitement'. I do find it fun to watch on TV, however. NASCAR on the other hand is the most boring thing ever. I tried my best to watch it one day on TV and I just couldn't tolerate it. I made it 20 minutes then had to quit.

I'm the same way with Nascar, I guess I just don't get it.

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #32 of 58
Yeah, I find f1 and nascar pretty boring also. I like watching street racing (car/bike/goat), off-road/dirt seems pretty good too. (haven't seen enough of the latter to form a real impression)

Mar 20, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #34 of 58
I've been to all the Long Beach Formula 1 races. I liked to go fri/sat and
wander around and watch from several places. Race day (sunday) is
so crowded you're stuck in your seat with just a glimpse of the cars.
Stay home sunday and watch it on tv.

I still follow F1 but MotoGP is the best show on wheels.

rossi1637.jpg

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been to all the Long Beach Formula 1 races. I liked to go fri/sat and
wander around and watch from several places. Race day (sunday) is
so crowded you're stuck in your seat with just a glimpse of the cars.
Stay home sunday and watch it on tv.

I still follow F1 but MotoGP is the best show on wheels.

rossi1637.jpg

I love Moto GP as well, and last year was incredible. An american world champion was great to see, but I still love Vale.

I heard that there will be a GP in Indy in 2008 . . . I'll be there for sure
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you could come to the USA and watch cars go in a big oval over and over again.

-Ed

"Roundy Round" racing in the Redneck venacular.

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #39 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1GTR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love watching F1. The speed and technology does it for me.

NASCAR I will never understand. How can one get excited about 4 left turns?

Incredibly, some are only three!
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #40 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm an F1 fan, casual NASCAR fan (I can appreciate it, but it's better with beer, BBQ and friends to pass the time between interesting events) and CHAMP car fan...

WRC is incredible, but SPEED doesn't cover it anymore, so I have no outlet to watch.

What I'm REALLY interested in, however, is the American LeMans series (and I'm surprised it hasn't come up yet). Blistering speeds, mixed classes on the same track at the same time (traffic! YES!), marathon races, prototypes, real-world cars... it's a fantastic mix of strategy, endurance, top speeds and hot cars, all in the spirit of the 24h of LeMans.

I look forward to the ALMS' continuing expansion.

[EDIT] Heheh. Good timing Iron Dreamer. I envy your proximity to Laguna Seca!

I love ALMS also. And if the Sebring 12 was any indication, this season is going to be awesome. That GT2 finish was incredible.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #41 of 58
Been at F-1 races since before Juan Manuel Fangio retired...I remember when Women were banned from the Pits!

RODE in a brand new Mini (when they were British, and New) with Stirling Moss, at speed, on a race track...it was the Introduction of the Mini to the U.S. market, in Maryland, at the Marlboro Raceway, in the early 60's.
Ate Lunch with Innes Ireland, Colin Chapman, Masten Gregory, and Tex Hopkins at that race track. Back in those days, you could lean on the fence just beside the track...

My parents have a picture of me a foot away from F-1 cars, (Front engine, drum brakes!!) at speed.

Remember Mario Andretti's Rookie year in F-1...

Have been at fairground dirt race tracks in Pennsylvania, where Mario and AJ were racing/banging on each other while intro'ed by the announcer as "Joe Hotshoe" and "Fast Eddie" (their team sponsors didn't like them racing in the lower classes before a "big" race, but they just liked racing).

I was at Indy the year that Eddie Sachs and Macdonald burned to death after wrecking - it was all the way on the other side of the track from me.

I Love nearly all forms of racing, and appreciate the skills on display, in whichever form they are demonstrated. Each Formula has its charms.

Just a quick point about Circle Track Racing - you can see much more of the driver's skill at a track where most all of it is visible from your seat. Unless you have seen something like Jim Hurtibise taking different lines through the same corner to pass top name racers, lap after lap, you simply don't have a real appreciation of driving at all. (Jim Hurtibise drove with a leather flap with a hole in it attached to his forearm, over a pin on his steering wheel, because his right hand was previously burned off in a wreck) He drove old machinery as a privateer, against new, factory and big sponsor teams, and did pretty good, when his tired iron held up.

I remember Bandinis, Scarabs, Ole Yeller, Grendel, The Monster From Foggy Bottom, Zora Arkus Duntov, driving the first Sting Ray, BRMs,

Sheesh, so many great memories...thanks for bringing them up!

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 58
I hardly watch F1 racing on TV, as for NASCAR I can watch it for an hour or so then it would start to get a little old and time for me to channel surf. As for drag racing whether it's NHRA, IHRA, AHRA, IHBA Drag Boat Racing, or NMCA Fastest Street Car Shootout I can watch all of those events for hours. The only thing better than watching it on TV is to be at track side to hear and feel the noise. Even better if you have the opportunity to be racing in any of the events sponsored by the above mentioned organizations.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #44 of 58
I agree that MotoGP is the best racing!

I still like F1 though they are obviously struggling with the rules. Some of the newer tracks produced some good passing last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the IRL guys do on the road circuits this year--last year wasn't so bad. The ovals are kinda boring.

NASCAR has become too much of a spec series. It is the opposite of F1 in that regard; in the interest of "competition" they've rubbed out all the real differences in the cars.

Mar 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #45 of 58
MotoGP is far more interesting than F1 and NAPCAR! I bet those car drivers must be bored out of their minds driving in ovals! How would you like to drive back and forth to the supermarket a hundred times?

Motorcycles are much more fun! It requires more skill and you make one mistake and you're out of the race. You even get to see people flying out of their motorcycles at almost 200MPH! Look at Rossi who without much F1 experience is already quite competitive against long-time F1 drivers, while when Schumacher tried riding he was is over 26 seconds slower than Rossi's laptime! People say that racing requires a lot of skill but while this is true, motorcycles take it to a whole new level of skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back