F1-FI
Nov 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bfreedma

The Hornet!
Creating a thread for discussion of current and historical Formula 1 for those interested in the racing and technology.

For anyone interested in the rather insanely dangerous history, two outstanding documentaries about the 60s and early 70s

https://www.amazon.com/1-Michael-Fa...UTF8&qid=1541195734&sr=1-8&keywords=formula+1

and “Grand Prix - The Killer Years”

Safety has dramatically improved, but unfortunately, on track action has gone downhill due to aerodynamics and the resultant dirty air behind the cars preventing close racing. I’d like to see F1 significantly reduce aero wash by further downsizing front and rear wings and the rear diffuser while increasing mechanical grip by allowing larger tires with a compound that provides additional adhesion across the contact patch. If a few more pit stops are required due to tire wear, all the better.

Interested in ideas others have on how to improve the on track action. For me, Qually is almost more interesting than the race.

What tracks would you like to see come back or be added on the calendar? For me its Zandvoort and Laguna Seca.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 5
Agreed on less aero and maybe allow refueling. I’d like to see Watkins Glen come back, since I’ve driven that track many times, it’s a great track, and not too far from me.

Nov 7, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #3 of 5
I don’t think we’ll see refueling again after all of the fires. If they do, I think they would have to institute minimum pit stop times to reduce the risk. Would be a great addition to strategy options if they brought it back though.

Completely agree on Watkins Glen, but with the current space available, I’m not sure they could get it up to current safety specs. Otherwise, it would be at the top of my list. Maybe they could buy the land east and south of the current track and add run off zones?

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 5
I don’t think we’ll see refueling again after all of the fires. If they do, I think they would have to institute minimum pit stop times to reduce the risk. Would be a great addition to strategy options if they brought it back though.

Completely agree on Watkins Glen, but with the current space available, I’m not sure they could get it up to current safety specs. Otherwise, it would be at the top of my list. Maybe they could buy the land east and south of the current track and add run off zones?

I think Watkins Glen is safer than Monte Carlo and Baku, so maybe not an issue there, but I recall hearing that NASCAR owns Watkins Glen, so they may not be keen on doing F1 races there. How do you know so much about F1 and Watkins Glen? I wouldn't know anything about this stuff if I didn't drive on tracks myself.

BTW, I just ran across this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/formula-1-fi-read-the-first-post.648825/

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 5
I think Watkins Glen is safer than Monte Carlo and Baku, so maybe not an issue there, but I recall hearing that NASCAR owns Watkins Glen, so they may not be keen on doing F1 races there. How do you know so much about F1 and Watkins Glen? I wouldn't know anything about this stuff if I didn't drive on tracks myself.

BTW, I just ran across this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/formula-1-fi-read-the-first-post.648825/

Good find on the existing thread. I should have done a search before starting this one. Will start posting there instead.

Agree that Monaco and Baku are safety issues. Monaco is what it is and pretty much gets a pass on everything due to history. Otherwise, it has no real business hosting an F1 race (race weekends are great, though expensive!). Lacking all forms of modern safety and virtually no passing opportunities other than perhaps at the chicane after the tunnel “straight”. They’ve been pretty fortunate that there haven’t been major injuries given the lack of run off. The Perez crash in 2011 comes to mind - that could have been a LOT worse if he had caught the TekPro barriers at almost any other angle.

Baku? No idea other than to suggest looking at Bernie’s bank account. The turn 8-10 complex is unconscionable and it feels like only a matter of time before someone loses it between 8-9 and the field piles up.

I’ve been fortunate to compete at the Glen, though it’s been a long time. Something about getting insurance at a reasonable cost after getting married put the brakes on my racing. Still do some karting and track days, and might look to get back into sports car racing in the next few years if I can figure out how to put a team together that works mostly for food and drinks. I’d like to think I’m a competent or better driver, but I am certainly not a mechanic.

As to F1 in general, I’m just a dedicated fan who enjoys watching documentaries and old race videos. I have been lucky, having worked with someone with a very serious F1 connection, so that’s gotten me access to events, pits, and drivers at the races I make it to. Many seem to enjoy discussing old tracks instead of the normal conversations about F1 politics and team issues, so have been able to get some pretty good conversations going with those who’ve been there and done that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back