F* the iPhone
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #61 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone cleverly assembles a few electronic components and as a result naysayers proclaim heresy. How an electronic device can inspire such hatred and animosity is beyond me. Last time I checked, the iPhone wasn't responsible for world poverty, famine, and/or death, so why use the word "hate"? Does its mere existence personally/directly impede your way of life? .......mmmm, No!

Whether the haters admit it or not, Apple's presence in the cell phone market has promoted innovation and helps moves the industry forward. That is a fact. Therefore, if Blackberry, for example, develops a better phone to compete with Apple then all end-users benefit; not just the apple enthusiast. Consider yourself fortunate and be thankful.

As far as hardware/software preferences; the so-called shortcomings mentioned will most likely be addressed with future updates or next generations. It doesn't make sense to chastise a company for improving upon their designs, nor is it logical to assume that they had the ability to incorporate present technology in past designs.

Original iPhone purchasers would have loved to see all the 3Gs functionality in the first model, but things like battery technology at the time, contract disputes with carriers, etc. might have previously stopped these newfangled additions cold in its tracks.

Furthermore, most of us don't live in a totalitarian dictatorship that requires we buy the latest iPhone on the market. We are all free to purchase or not purchase the device in question, so complaining about being sucked into vicious cycles is just ridiculous.

You could have not said it better.
Hater boys, like I have said before, keep coming up with inflammatory comments. They are worse than fan boys.
And yes, everybody is welcome to a rebuttal since we all are entitled to our own opinions.
I just don't understand the deep emotional tone of anti-iphone or anti-X company comments.
Don't buy what you don't like.

Aug 12, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

I think Apple would do much better if they just put the thought in in the first place. Releasing a device in the beginning of the year and going "OH WAIT! We forgot this!" one or two more times in the same year is just getting ridiculous. Devices are spendy, and are a bit of a commitment, you might say, and if I had bought the original iPhone, right now, I'd be extremely pissed to see the new one, because clearly, it's just what the first iPhone should have been, not any kind of second generation.

They do put the thought in in the first place. The thought is that the diehard Apple fanboys will buy every incarnation that Apple releases, and people who bought the first version will feel left out and will want to upgrade.

And there apparently have been some issues with the Iphone, especially with the 3G signal, which Apple denies of course. Anyone here having problems?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...?tag=cnetfd.mt

Edit: More info on the 3G issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10...l?tag=nefd.top

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #63 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some just want to the last bling bling!
I think the iPhone looks quite nice, but am shocked by the monthly price from the network operator. 12 months agreement at $100-200 a month, with highly limited bandwidth usage. No thanks!

Netcom taking advantage over kids, seen it before? Neeh.

Aug 12, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #64 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is not my opinion. it is a fact. It has changed the landscape and force other companies to make better phones. Yes Nokia had a good phone but not even close as popular or easy to use as the iPhone. There are currently no other phone web browsers that can compete with it.

The only fact is that you are not getting my point. You say apple=better i say better=opinion. you say better=fact, which basically makes you a fanboy, so all you comments are worthless.

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #66 of 77
would like to point out that just because manufacturers put something like touch screens on devices doesn't mean they are better, it means they think that is what the gullible public want.

are you naive in general or just about about obvious things like this?

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #67 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would like to point out that just because manufacturers put something like touch screens on devices doesn't mean they are better, it means they think that is what the gullible public want.

are you naive in general or just about about obvious things like this?

The fine point some people, including myself, tried to make was that they didn't only put a touchscreen on a phone, they also have built the phone around that touchscreen, taking advantage of it being there.

Coincidentally, my opinion on this is not that of the gullible public. Among other things, I design and partially implement user interfaces. I can tell a good framework for human-device interaction when I see one, and iPhone is an example of this. I'm not nuts about Apple (I don't own any of their products and don't plan to, except for the iPhone).

I could go on in detail about why iPhone is a better device compared to the competition, but quite frankly, I think I'd be wasting my time. On these forums everything is just a matter of opinion.

Aug 13, 2008 at 9:43 AM Post #68 of 77
apple doing something is one thing, but to think that other companies are going to be adding a touchscreen also because they have missed this brilliant idea is ridiculous, IMO they will do it because alot of people will think that a device missing it will be inferior.

this happens all the time, one company does something and other follow suit for no other reason that because without it the public won't buy it.

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #69 of 77
What about that betamax huh??
Its brilliant and i don't see VHS coming anywhere close to edging it out the market!!
Such a superior product and I LOVE the remote on the wire which, although it forced me to move my couch 4 yards closer to my 20 inch CRT television(Yeah baby I got the big screen), controls every aspect of my new machine!!
Pity i have to get up and change the cassettes tho!!
Talking of cassettes have any of you tried the audio cassettes yet?
These will WAY beat the ass off of vinyl!!
Believe me this tech is here to stay!!
Who need innovation when we have the best there will ever be right here and now?

Aug 13, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by audionewbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
apple doing something is one thing, but to think that other companies are going to be adding a touchscreen also because they have missed this brilliant idea is ridiculous, IMO they will do it because alot of people will think that a device missing it will be inferior.

this happens all the time, one company does something and other follow suit for no other reason that because without it the public won't buy it.

....and this is Apple's fault or wrongdoing because..(your premise goes here).....? Are you insinuating that Apple deserves a brow-beating for influential implementation? Should we damn Al Gore for inventing the internet or the world that mimicked his concepts? I'm partly being facetious here, but you should get my drift.

As someone said, "Imitation is often the sincerest form of flattery". This is "generally" understood to mean that the imitated are doing something right. "Right" meaning; input = desired output; especially when it comes to business models and designs.

Furthermore, the iPhone was released roughly only a year ago. Have you conveniently forgotten the plethora of touch-screen phones, PDAs, and computers that existed before the iPhone's conception? Touch screens have been in full effect for quite some time now.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #71 of 77
haptic feedback aside though i find the iphone to be a very useable touchscreen!
Also have the sonyericsson w960 and even with haptic it is nowhere near as user friendly or as fluid as the iphone!
I can bang out an email or a sms as quick using the touchscreen keypad as i can using either the hand writing recognition software or the keyboard on the w960!
Maybe not a perfect comparison but this is one of the phones out there directly competing with the iphone!
As for the N95 which was mentioned a few posts back has anyone used this as a media device a well as a phone??
Is this possible without carrying around a bag full of spare batteries?
And i had one of those too (is sitting in a drawer gathering dust) and found it to be completely unliveable!!

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....and this is Apple's fault or wrongdoing because..(your premise goes here).....? Are you insinuating that Apple deserves a brow-beating for influential implementation? Should we damn Al Gore for inventing the internet or the world that mimicked his concepts? I'm partly being facetious here, but you should get my drift.

As someone said, "Imitation is often the sincerest form of flattery". This is "generally" understood to mean that the imitated are doing something right. "Right" meaning; input = desired output; especially when it comes to business models and designs.

Furthermore, the iPhone was released roughly only a year ago. Have you conveniently forgotten the plethora of touch-screen phones, PDAs, and computers that existed before the iPhone's conception? Touch screens have been in full effect for quite some time now.

to a degree your right, i am going over the top but the guy who i responded to was completely wrong when he said that apple has forced others to make [better products. like i say, many will do it for market share, not technological advancement.

unfortunately, people such as the guy i responded to are gullible and will believe everything a company markets.

my opinion only of course but better than going by what companies tell me.

Aug 13, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #73 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatethatgiraffe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the N95 which was mentioned a few posts back has anyone used this as a media device a well as a phone??
Is this possible without carrying around a bag full of spare batteries?
And i had one of those too (is sitting in a drawer gathering dust) and found it to be completely unliveable!!

Do you have to bash other phones now? :/

Yes, I have one. The NAM unit. It lasts about twice as long as my brother's iPhone 3G, both on 3G networks and with similar call usage. We spend our multimedia budgeting of each individual unit in similar ways. While he's watching movies, I'm playing GBA games. The battery of the N95-3 lasts perfectly well and is very robust, and I have been very pleased with the battery life of all kinds of Nokia units I have used to this date. I have never had the phone fail me power-wise when I needed it (unlike my previous Motorola phones, which were a battery disaster).

I honestly don't care what kind of drawbacks you can find for my N95 or any other phone on the market because I enjoy the product I'm using, and I'm hoping you enjoy your iPhone as well and spend more time using it (start writing your head-fi posts with it
tongue.gif
) than defending it..

Aug 13, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #74 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Netcom taking advantage over kids, seen it before? Neeh.

Sadly, yes!
angry_face.gif

I would like to buy an iPhone, but not as long as I have to bind up for 12 months with Netcom. Especially not at these rates...

Aug 14, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly, yes!
angry_face.gif

I would like to buy an iPhone, but not as long as I have to bind up for 12 months with Netcom. Especially not at these rates...

Twelve months isn't anything compared to the ten-year contracts mandated by AT&T here in the states! Well, that's how Baron Munchausen would describe our contracts.

On the other hand, its not like there isn't a clause in the contracts. If you wish to cancel, pony-up $175 and they'll happily show you the door. If they're subsidizing roughly that amount to Apple, then this is arguable a fair deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back