Extremely n00bish question about the Raptor/sources
Jun 11, 2005 at 8:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Covenant

Headphoneus Supremus
Forgive the total ignorance of this query, but... where does the Raptor actually connect to the source? Say for example, on a Meridian, would one hook the Raptor up to the unbalanced analogue output, the S/PDIF, the coax, the Toslink? I'm new to dedicated sources, and have no real idea what connector does what, so a crash-course in sources may be in need, lol.

Also, does the Raptor come with said connection cable between amp and source, or is a 3rd-party cable required? And if so what sort?

Thanks all.

Jun 11, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #2 of 9
C'mon people, this aint a difficult one to answer
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 9
u need interconnects, thats all. digital connection is between the source and dac. you connect the digital out of your soundcrd to the dac via toslink or coaxial. for dac to amp, or dvd player to amp, interconnects are all thats needed.

Jun 11, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphie
u need interconnects, thats all. digital connection is between the source and dac. you connect the digital out of your soundcrd to the dac via toslink or coaxial. for dac to amp, or dvd player to amp, interconnects are all thats needed.

What sort of interconnects? RCA-type?
confused.gif

And why would you hook a Meridian up to a soundcard, or an external DAC, as i understood the Meridian had one already?
confused.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
What sort of interconnects? RCA-type?
confused.gif

Yes.

Quote:

And why would you hook a Meridian up to a soundcard, or an external DAC, as i understood the Meridian had one already?
confused.gif

Since (most) soundcards usually have cheap DACs built in, any external DAC -- connected either via optical (Toslink) or coaxial (S/PDIF) cable -- will improve sound quality. And if you have an external DAC that's better than the integrated one in a CD player, you can use the latter as mere transport with the external DAC connected as described above. An amp is always connected to the DAC's/CDP's analog line out (RCA type -- if not [alternatively] equipped with balanced [XLR] outputs).

peacesign.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
Yes.

Since (most) soundcards usually have cheap DACs built in, any external DAC -- connected either via optical (Toslink) or coaxial (S/PDIF) cable -- will improve sound quality. And if you have an external DAC that's better than the integrated one in a CD player, you can use the latter as mere transport with the external DAC connected as described above. An amp is always connected to the DAC's/CDP's analog line out (RCA type -- if not [alternatively] equipped with balanced [XLR] outputs).

peacesign.gif

Thanks for those clarifications JaZZ, helps me visualise just exactly how this thing's going to be rigged up
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #7 of 9
If you have a Meridian CD player, you do not need an external DAC as the Meridian is more than capable to do the job very well. You do not connect the Meridian to a sound card, this is an insult in my book, as no sound card has a DAC that can match or even get close to that of the Meridian. Just take the analog line out "left & right" of the Meridian and connect it to any amp's inputs "RCA".
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Jun 11, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
If you have a Meridian CD player, you do not need an external DAC as the Meridian is more than capable to do the job very well. You do not connect the Meridian to a sound card, this is an insult in my book, as no sound card has a DAC that can match or even get close to that of the Meridian. Just take the analog line out "left & right" of the Meridian and connect it to any amp's inputs "RCA".
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

w00t, Ray himself posting in my thread. I now feel special
biggrin.gif

Incidentally Ray, if you hadn't made the connection yet, i'm that guy from jasonswire@hotmail.com that keeps annoying you with compulsive amp correspondence
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 9
Did I say he should hook his meridian to a dac? or to a soundcard? He asked me what kind of connection if required between a source and an amp, i told him the two alternatives as mentionned here for soundcard+DAC:

you connect the digital out of your soundcrd to the dac via toslink or coaxial. for dac to amp

and here for cd/dvd player to amp:

or dvd player to amp, interconnects are all thats needed.

Connecting a meridian cdp to an external DAC is pointless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back