Extremely disappointed with Shure SE210
May 16, 2009 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Vinny77

100+ Head-Fier
So as a replacement for my Shure E2c's I got the SE210's for a decent price. I have been reading and asking around on these forums and everybody seemed to tell me the SE210's were a great upgrade to the e2c's. While comparing the two I find the SE210's to be inferior when compared to the e2c's. The voices are very clear but the music is incredibly muffled, muddy and bland. I usually just use a iPod nano to test, though I used an iPod 5.5G via line out with a iBasso D2 Boa listening to flac files. I especially used flan vinyls such as Tool.

I am doing a 48 hr burn in right now and will report back, but after the 15 hr burn in, I am quite disappointed. The e2c's are judt a overall better sounding headphone with clearer highs and lows as well as more bass.

I then compared both to the SE530 and they both sound like garbage in comparison, though I cant afford those.

May 16, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So as a replacement for my Shure E2c's I got the SE210's for a decent price. I have been reading and asking around on these forums and everybody seemed to tell me the SE210's were a great upgrade to the e2c's. While comparing the two I find the SE210's to be inferior when compared to the e2c's. The voices are very clear but the music is incredibly muffled, muddy and bland. I usually just use a iPod nano to test, though I used an iPod 5.5G via line out with a iBasso D2 Boa listening to flac files. I especially used flan vinyls such as Tool.

I am doing a 48 hr burn in right now and will report back, but after the 15 hr burn in, I am quite disappointed. The e2c's are judt a overall better sounding headphone with clearer highs and lows as well as more bass.

I then compared both to the SE530 and they both sound like garbage in comparison, though I cant afford those.

I had the E2c and replaced them in SE series in the other direction from you: I got the SE110. Of course, I had the exact same experience you had -- they sounded terrible. I think for me it might have been the new olive foamies. I went and bought a pair of SCL3, stuck the universal yellow foamies on them, and have been a happy man ever since.

May 16, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 21
Try IE7.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try IE7.
smily_headphones1.gif

Simple, I like it. Agreed
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 21
I also find the actual hardware to be quite cheap. The cables on the SE210's are so thing they swirl up quite easily. The E2c's are think and rugged. While I liked the e2c's, they still didnt sound that great so I want better. Just the se210 aren't better.

May 16, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinny77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find the actual hardware to be quite cheap. The cables on the SE210's are so thing they swirl up quite easily. The E2c's are think and rugged. While I liked the e2c's, they still didnt sound that great so I want better. Just the se210 aren't better.

The only worthy Shure's are the 310's and up.

May 16, 2009 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 21
If you don't like the SE210's or E2C's I doubt you'd like the E4C's. At your current price point, I'm not sure there is much you would like though. Maybe Sennheiser CX95's. Monster Turbines if you can go up to $105ish. There isn't a whole lot of good stuff at the top end of your price point.

May 17, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
play with the different tips, see if that makes things better.

I agree. As I posted, try the universal yellow foamies from Shure. Before you spring for the E4c, look at the SCL3 (E3c) for $70 shipped from Guitar Center if you get them in white.

May 17, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #14 of 21
Am not sure what the price of a Denon C700/751 will be in your area but I got them for cheaper than the SE210 and even preferred them over the SE530 ( but that's just me though).

I haven't heard the IE7 but most here think its a significant upgrade to the denon's. Wouldn't hurt to look in to them.

I also share your sentiments that : The voices are very clear but the music is incredibly muffled, muddy and bland. especially with rock.

May 17, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #15 of 21
E4c is your answer- just look at Jude's review of them and realise that you can get them at 30% their price few years back. I myslef moved from e2c to e4c several years ago, its a lovely phone!..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back