Extremely bizarre problem with my earphones ONLY when connected to a computer
Oct 24, 2011 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Quado91

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,,

I have a problem with my headphones that I hope you can help me with.

Problem description:
When I connect my new headphone to any device such as mobile - iPad - iPhone etc it works just fine. The thing is when I connect it to my desktop or my roommates laptop it produces this sound that's like "bzzzz" its not too loud though, but very noticeable. Especially when there is no music or sound of some kind playing. Now, the bizarre thing. When I touch a conducting material for example the metal part behind my computer, the noise goes away :D

Notes: Maaaaybe, just maybe, the problem happens when the headphone is connected to a device that is connected directly to the electricity plug(E.g PC) not like a moblie or iPad etc.

---
Another problem that might be connected.
Realtek HD driver shows that my left ear is my right and vise versa, this is how I think it says so. In speakers configurations, I press test while it shows me speakers. When the programs shows that the right speakers are running my left speakers work and same with the other.

General Notes:
1-My headphones has batteries and also need to be connected to the device.
2-I do not have a separated sound card, so my headphones are connected to my motherboard.
3-My motherboard is Asus Xtreme Design Motherboard P5P43TD

that's about it. I really hope you can help me with this problem, thanks for taking the time to read my problem ^^

I have posted this same thread in another forum
here is the link if you are interested
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f25/extremely-bizarre-problem-with-my-earphones-only-when-connected-to-a-computer-608138.html

Edit:
I wanna add a few things, I just tried my headphones on my roommates laptop without connecting it to the electricity plug, it was running on battery only. and there was no weird sound coming out of my headphones. When I reconnected the laptop to the electricity plug the buzzing sound came back.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #4 of 9
Its an Earthing problem,
Your Mains and Thus ur computer, Sir, are not earthed properly.
To see if what i am saying is correct, put the headphones into ur room mates laptop when its not charging, i.e when it is running on batteries.
If it doesnt produce the same buzzing sound, now that it is plugged into the Room mate's laptop running on battery, i am very sure ur mains/computer are not earthed properly.
Regards

Edit: Since i now read the edit u did to ur original post, it is evident that it is an electrical problem with the wiring in ur room. call an electrician.might even damage ur computer if it goes on for long.

Oct 24, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
It might be worth mentioning what the headphones are.

Beats by Dr.Dre studio

Quote:
I my guess it is going to be that the laptop has crappy headphone outs, most laptops do, even if you go pass the $1000 mark.

But its not only a problem with the laptop, my desktop has the same problem

Quote:
Its an Earthing problem,
Your Mains and Thus ur computer, Sir, are not earthed properly.
To see if what i am saying is correct, put the headphones into ur room mates laptop when its not charging, i.e when it is running on batteries.
If it doesnt produce the same buzzing sound, now that it is plugged into the Room mate's laptop running on battery, i am very sure ur mains/computer are not earthed properly.
Regards

Edit: Since i now read the edit u did to ur original post, it is evident that it is an electrical problem with the wiring in ur room. call an electrician.might even damage ur computer if it goes on for long.

Thank you very much sir.
I have already contacted them and hopefully they'll fix the problem.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #6 of 9
In my experience it just happens with onboard audio no matter what. I have a Corsair HX520 (should be very good PSU) and anywhere I've plugged it in the onboard audio makes all kinds of horrible noises. I also have a Audigy 2 ZS which does NOT make any audible noise. The same happened with my old computer that had VIA audio chipset and the same Audigy 2 ZS. I also have two laptops with ALC272X and they only have slight hiss, irrelevant of being plugged in.
I'd say it is just the crap design of the onboard audio, deal with it and don't bother with electricians if this is your only problem...

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Onboard sound is horribly noisy. Even my Auzentech Prelude sound card has a noticeable bit of background noise when not in "bit matched" mode. Once I switch to "bit matched" the noise floor disappears completely (relative term).

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 9
The original poster's problem is obviously a grounding issue in his electrical plugs. 

But from my experience, I've had absolutely no issues with onboard audio, not for four or five years now.  Both my present computers use Realtek HD audio (ALC892), and there are no clicks, hiss or other extraneous sounds coming from the headphone jacks. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
The original poster's problem is obviously a grounding issue in his electrical plugs. 

yes, I believe that my problem is in my electrical plugs, I am currently waiting for it to be fixed.

I do appreciate all your suggestions

But what about the other problem ? the one where the right speaker playing what the left one should play and the left play what the right one should play ? :D

Edit:
Since the main problem is solved now and the other problem seems to be a different one, I'll post the other one in a new thread.
again,, thank you all for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back