Extreme Standard arrived today
Jan 27, 2007 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
Extreme Standard arrived round 3pm today.
Not a very good photo but well, you know.

Buzzing off my 32 ounce 190 Octane daquery, listening to my apogee Mini-Dac/Extreme/Grado325i.

I will have comments and questions tomorow when i am not under the influence.

I don't condone drinking and listening as you may damage your hearing.

I had to come back and say that my listening volume is peaking at 84-86 decibels

ExtremeDaqu.jpg

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 20
Yeah, thought i had a pretty big desk. The Extreme feet are flush with the edge of the desk. Thats how i placed it before i bought the drink.
It's ok.
I might be feeling pretty good right now, but will not harm my $1000.00 investment. :)

I decided to go straight to the mid/mid upper level/Top with most of my purchases.
So not sorry!

Tomorow though, i will have some comments and questions.

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #6 of 20
So far i have listened to some...

Bethovens 5th symph

Led Zep

Pink Floyd

Rush

Eric Clapton

Ok, Don't laugh, some select madonna, chemical romance, flaming lips, acdc, abba, boston 70s stuff.

I love Boston but Boston is way to mid rangey on revealing equipment

I am so much into classic rock, top forty, rock and metal stuff.

Most of it sounds awesome.

That is with quarter size mod comfies. Bowles are too hot and require some eq. with the mod comfies no eq straight from source which is cd and flac.

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 20
What cans are you using? There's nothing in your profile. I'm listening with my Extreme and K340s to Cannonball Adderely as I type. I had a serious wow-spasm earlier today with Darth Beyers, certain tubes, and Zeppelin's How the West Was Won.

No matter.....enjoy...both drinking and listening.

EDIT: I just caught the end of your last post..I'm guessing Grados?

Jan 27, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by calcajun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, when I said most of it sounds awesome, I was not faulting the amp. The fault lies in some of the recordings.

The amp is awesome.

By now, the muscles in your face need a break. Go for a walk. Just walk away......
biggrin.gif

Better quality headphone equipment (for my short time), dissects the music. You notice the engineering, noise floor, impact, soundstage..... the details. I don't have to concentrate on the sound to hear the details and it draws my attention to the music. It's hard to concentrate on a book.

In general, I feel, thats the difference between speaker vs headphone listening. Speakers allow for shared attention. Background music to accessorize the mood (unless on a mission to jam). Headphones focus your attention to one sense. I shed a tear listening to CSNY (four way street), having the feeling of setting front row. Sounds of the soundstage was surreal to my youth. Closing my eyes and remembering a bygone time. If my music does this for me, this is satisfaction. (((or I need meds
confused.gif
)))

Your DAC is on my radar. Sweet. They are making a USB connection next month. I don't think Ken has an audio grade USB IC yet so I'd be safe.

Congrats and happy listening. SP
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 20
The turnaround time for me compared to others was quite quick.
I think due to the fact that i ordered mine so late, and only standard. I called and put my order in for a standard extreme just two or three days before the headfi special ended. When i asked what the estimated ship date would be i was told he would like to get it out by Jan 20th. After reading others comments on wait times, i did not expect that to happen. It actually didn't. It shipped 2 days later than i was told.
So my experience was a good one as it was only a matter of weeks from order to delivery.

I ordered it jan 6th or 7th and it was on my door step the 25th.

Lucky me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back