Extreme Noise Cancleing Earphones
Apr 6, 2008 at 6:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Munky

New Head-Fier
Ok, so here is the deal I recently got grado sr80's, which lead me to buy a new sound card, and start construction of a headphone amp... I hate you guys

So i got a new job doing landscaping, a large part of that is cutting lawns, weedwackers and pruning. I need some headphones that will block all that out so i don't go deaf, and can still listen to music at the same time. I have a rather limited budget. Im not really willing to spend alot on a fine detailed can, because i know that i will still hear the drone of the motors anyways. This will be unamped from an ipod.

I listen to mostly rock-acoustic stuff. maybe 150 MAX, prefurably 100 and under.

IEM's are also fine, as long as they are very plug like.

Apr 6, 2008 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 10
i use the sennheiser hd280 when mowing my lawn, works great and they can be found for under $100

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 10
Whats the report on the MDR-V7509, as much as i dislike sony, i may be willing to make an exception on my boycott.

If possible i want something that brings something that the sr80 doesn't to the table (aside from being closed) so a tighter sound stage would be nice.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Munky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some headphones that will block all that out so i don't go deaf, and can still listen to music at the same time.

I don't think you can safely do this. Even the best music playing headphones around are not going to attenuate the noise sufficiently so that you can listen to music in safety. Even purpose designed safety muffs are still going to let through about 70 - 75 dB of power tool noise at some frequencies, even though they will work much better at other frequencies. And music headphones will let through more than that. You would have to turn the music itself up pretty loudly to still hear it clearly above all that. And doing that for a living would consitute over exposure to noise.

I think you should just wear the highest quality industial ear muffs and listen to music during breaks and when you get home.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #7 of 10
rock acoustic for $100-150?

seems to be a good candidate for the Atrio m5
and it will block a lot of noise when using the doubleflange tips

Apr 6, 2008 at 8:26 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ADD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think you can safely do this. Even the best music playing headphones around are not going to attenuate the noise sufficiently so that you can listen to music in safety. Even purpose designed safety muffs are still going to let through about 70 - 75 dB of power tool noise at some frequencies, even though they will work much better at other frequencies. And music headphones will let through more than that. You would have to turn the music itself up pretty loudly to still hear it clearly above all that. And doing that for a living would consitute over exposure to noise.

I think you should just wear the highest quality industial ear muffs and listen to music during breaks and when you get home.

Thank you for your concern, but i dont think they put out more than 90db to begin with. although even if they do, would you see any reason not to use earmuffs and then pk1's under them?

we only have earplugs right now which i feel are adequate for ear protection, but its likely that the boss would get better earmuffs if i asked. he is also musically inclined.

Apr 6, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 10
I recommend the Shure line of IEM's whatever fits your budget. I recommend Shure, not because of the SQ, but because of the superior cable management. Use the triple flange. If the insert fits your ear properly, you can almost completely drown out the sounds of the mower. This means you can have the volume on your DAP set as low as you want, and you'll still here every whisper.

Apr 6, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 10
How about using iem's under propper industrial ear muffs ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back