Extreme Grado modification (get rid of inner grill!). Various tweaks. Lots of pics.
Feb 16, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #47 of 57
from the aforementioned HeadWize article:

Removing the Transducers (SR-60)

Method 1 (Skippy): There are little bumps on the back of the earcup that serve as clips to hold the transducer in place. Sand the bumps down just enough to take out the driver, so that they can go back into position with a bit of force. If the bumps are sanded down too much, the driver will not stay in place when reinstalled. Beagle wrote that he glued them in place. When I installed the submini jack for the replaceable cable (see below), the jack pressed against the back of driver and holds it in place.

Note: the voice coil wires are fragile. Be careful when removing the transducer to avoid breaking a signal connection.

Method 2 (Beagle): Using a medium size screwdriver, going in from the back of the driver, insert the screwdriver along the edge between the driver and the plastic housing. Turn the screwdriver with a slow wiggling motion, gently attempting to "pry" the housing away from the driver. Do this every 1/4 inch or so. You should hear a cracking sound as the glue (probably superglue) lets go.

You may get the driver itself loose or the driver with the perforated cap still attached. If the cap is still attached, the driver should come out through the front of the plastic enclosure. If you have pried just the driver loose, you will either have to remove the plastic bumps on the enclosure and bring it though the back or try prying the driver cap from the enclosure. Use your judgment.

I tried Beagles method when I was modding my 225s, and did hear little cracking noises, but didn't have the nerve to carry it through.

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #48 of 57
I just _had_ to do it today
biggrin.gif

I opened them and removed the transducer (which was _really_ a pain in the ***). The problem is, the grille is also glued... and it wont go off. I tried heating it and even inserting a screwdriver to bring it apart, but it won't. But I think that if it would go off, the transducers wouldn't stay in place anymore.

So the only possibility is to cut a hole as the OP did, which would be still easier with the transducers removed
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #49 of 57
I tried the screwdriver method. Haven't tried sanding, though.
Probably the construction changed since those instructions were written. Most likely the drivers are glued in much better now.

Feb 16, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #50 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the screwdriver method. Haven't tried sanding, though.
Probably the construction changed since those instructions were written. Most likely the drivers are glued in much better now.

The screwdriver method works (just did it before) and yes, the driver is glued in there and makes the whole process PITA. Even if you try sanding these bumps you'll need a screwdriver. Therefore it's not really possible to avoid deforming the outer plastic ring of the transducer. This isn't a real problem though.

Hmm... I don't know if I really want to do this to my GS-1000 though
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #52 of 57
Great, completely new look! but 325 cup cost??

Mar 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #54 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they cost
smily_headphones1.gif
But the problem is not cost, but difficulties in finding them. But, there're some good head-fiers around...

It may be one of a kind! very nice!
happy_face1.gif

Mar 20, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #56 of 57
Wow look at that driver... looks a lot like the DH-32 that derekbmn referenced.
dh-32_pix.jpg

Nice work on the mod btw. Thinking of doing a similar procedure to my own cans.

Apr 5, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #57 of 57
I obviously didn't see this thread when it came out, great piece of tinkering, QQQ, and I'm sure it sounds great.

2 thoughts:

I'd try the inner coating of the distancer with felt instead of foam. NoXter and my tests showed that foam has no sonic prosperties at all, so coating it with foam is propably close to no coating at all.

The mentioned removal of the systems before getting rid of the mesh is a good idea. There was also luck involved that you didn't destroy anything with your "hardcore" method IMO. I once had to get one of my MS1 systems out of its enclosure (grattle issue), and I did use the screwdriver method, that worked quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back