Extreme Grado modification (get rid of inner grill!). Various tweaks. Lots of pics.
Feb 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

QQQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I wasn't a big fan of Grado protective grill since i first saw a pair of Grado phones. Firstly, it's the main source of discomfort since it presses hard adainst the ear when wearing grados. Secondly, after i solved the comfort problem with pair of diy liberators(thus taking the grill away from resting on the ear), i didn't like that grill as the objest which sits between the driver and my ear, affecting the sound. So, after i luckily aquired a pair of beat-up SR 225's i decided to get rid of that grill. This is very tricky procedure, with lots of risk of ruining the cans! I used a soldering iron with thinnest possible tip to cut away the grill, working around the diameter. Again, it's very dangerous - insert a hot soldering iron a bit too far and it will melt the driver=dead cans.
Anyway, without grills it looks like it:
2rc9apc.jpg

After that i glued-on my diy liberators and damped the inner side of the tube with foam:
mrbcjd.jpg

263h2ev.jpg

Next i put a piece of nylon(read: pantyhose) on the top to protect from dust:
2iw9dnk.jpg

With installed pads it looks like it:
2qs0weg.jpg

Not only there's no more obstacles on the way of the sound, it's much more comfy now with nothing pressing against the ear making these cans most comfy ones i've ever tried after the k601.

The sonic results are really pleasing-much more open, clear, distortion free and "full" sound with headstage way better than stock.

Of course, any headphone maker understand that those protective grills spoil the sound, but they cannot go without it since it protecting the drivers. On the other hand, when cans are used in safe conditions, with some modding you can really go beyond stock sound-wise!

More than that, i created my own genuine leather\suede headband: inner side which is in contact with head are made from lambskin, outer part are finished with suede:
xdw5tl.jpg

5wz488.jpg

Lastly, a great head-fier vvanrij sold me a pair of goldy SR 325i cups which i used here. One slight tweak-i don't like how bare wire goes into Grado cups, so i added some stress reliefers:
34ook7q.jpg

231ir6.jpg

Lastly, for those who interested: there're formally no sonic difference between plastic cups and metall, but, due to considerably more weigth of the metall cups it positively influences the SQ on higher volumes, not allowing the cans to vibrate on bass notes, thus, improving the sound in some way.

Finished view:
245yl3n.jpg

Just wanted to share.

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #2 of 57
Holy moley. Those are true franken-Grados! Let's see- 225 driver and driver holder. Grille cut out. Liberator installed. 325i goldie cups installed. Custom cable strain relief.

Nice job!

Feb 15, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 57
Hehe... I was thinking about removing this grille some days ago after doing it to my K240 Sextetts
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice to see that it's working. May give it a try some day.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, a great head-fier vvanrij sold me a pair of goldy SR 325i cups which i used here.

O you are far to kind
biggrin.gif
, I see you enjoy them
ksc75smile.gif
Great looking mod you have there, they sure look comfy indeed.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 57
Cutting out a piece of plastic using a soldering iron is like hammering a nail into a wall with a spanner. Go and buy a Dremil.

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 57
That's true of course, but i kinda hesistate to get a special tools for one-time job... Plus i thought i have less chance of damaging the diaphagm with slowly going around with tip...

Feb 15, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 57
Dremils are wonderful, you think its a one time job, but once you've got one of the little buggers, you'll find you use it for a pleathora of things and after that, you'll wonder how you did without it. You'll also save yourself ruining any more soldering iron tips.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #14 of 57
considering doing this with my SR60s when I eventually move up to 225s or RS-1s. Great mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back