External hard drive array is a hundred times slower now?
Sep 23, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 36
It's possible you lost drive and just don't know since it provides you no information. It should not result in a speed decrease noticeable a USB 2.0 connection though.Are any of the lights on the front of the unit red?

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #17 of 36
  It's possible you lost drive and just don't know since it provides you no information. It should not result in a speed decrease noticeable a USB 2.0 connection though.Are any of the lights on the front of the unit red?

If I lost a drive, I would not be able to access any data; I would have to replace it first. The lights are fine.

Sep 27, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #23 of 36
Sorry, I can't think of anything else that we could actually check right now. Based on the provided information the issue must either be the HDD's or the Buffalo unit itself. All I can suggest at this point is:

- Find someone local who can help in checking the HDDs
- Get help from the manufacturer
- Transfer your data to something else

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #24 of 36
I'm unsure about your post. What is Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop? Is it a third party music player like Foobar? I use my Dell laptop for many tasks, but it's main task is a music storage device. I run 80% AIFF and the rest on ALAC. Still have about 800GB empty for holding music. So could you be more specific about Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop?

Sep 27, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #25 of 36
  I'm unsure about your post. What is Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop? Is it a third party music player like Foobar? I use my Dell laptop for many tasks, but it's main task is a music storage device. I run 80% AIFF and the rest on ALAC. Still have about 800GB empty for holding music. So could you be more specific about Signalyst HQPlayer Desktop?

That was something I sent you in a PM that has nothing to do with this thread. It's a music player, yes.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #26 of 36
  Is the problem with indexing of tracks - can you recreate the index?
If your 12 TB array is made up of several smaller drives (eg 6 drives of 2TB each), could you copy one drive to a new drive, and see if the problem disappears. If the problem remains, just repeat for each of the remaining drives, until you find the root cause.

It takes a long time just to access folders/files and transfer them to other computers. I don't know anything about the indexing.

There are four drives. Copy one drive to another? I don't even have the free space for that, and even if I did, it would take forever. Plus I cannot access the individual drives. It treats them all as one drive.

I'll need more detailed info to be able to do anything, but thanks for the help anyway.

There are a number of possible causes for the slow-down, but one that immediately springs to mind is it a mirrored or a striped RAID? Possibly one of the drives may have failed.

See the info in the rest of this thread. I don't think any of the drives failed.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #28 of 36
Ah the joy of external RAID in a box...:ph34r:

Be forewarned: I am not trying to insult you or your choices. I do, however, hate these kinds of devices and I'm not going to make any apologies for them - they're generally overpriced cheap junk, and often fail more consistently than whatever they're advertised as being a good back-up device for.

So, it sounds like the "thing" here is not doing so well. Opening it needs to be the next step - you can evaluate the drive's health with them removed. Most likely the little controller board in this thing (which is very probably made from the absolute cheapest possible components, usually installed in the cheapest possible way, with no consideration given to cooling or longevity, it just has to make it out of the factory) has seen better days, and that's why you're having problems (I honestly can't tell you how many of these things I've junked over the years for this exact reason - they are *not* reliable devices and they do not stand up well to running 24x7). But wait it gets better! The drives are in RAID, but this may have been (as in: very probably was) accomplished in some proprietary way (as in you can't get that controller elsewhere and the data is basically chained to it), so recovering data stored in there may range between impossible and total pain in the neck (and yes, I hate these devices as a general rule, for this specific reason - they take in a ton of data and then leave you completely hosed when they fail, and often the manufacturers are all too happy to offer you some hilariously expensive "recovery service" that usually gets you a new piece of working hardware and that's about it; you could add the whole "lets throw multiple terabytes over USB" as a close second).

My advice at this point would be to open'er up and see what you can see. Sniff around for obvious signs of burn-off. Clean out any hairballs, dust colonies, etc as you find them. See if it runs better with its chassis open (no you won't let out the magic smoke, but some of these Buffalo enclosures are put together in such a cheap manner that the primary enclosure cabinet also encloses the PSU, so don't go sticking your fingers where they don't belong). If the drives have been over-temp'd and/or the controller board has been cooked a bit, it isn't actually that uncommon to experience what you're describing. Yes it will take ages to get the data off of there, but that's honestly "step 2" - get the data onto something safe and secure and then you can toy around with more intensive testing on the drives themselves (so that you aren't risking your data). The reason I say open it up and clean/try to get it better cooled is that it may help the file transfer situation.

So where are you putting the data? Well, an actual server is always a good choice. But we live in the era of disposable mobile devices and everyone wants their cute little USB gadgets. So the easy second answer is to grab a big'ol single-disk external solution, sure it isn't going to be a bastion of reliability or data security, but there's also no proprietary tomfoolery behind it, and the data is much more recoverable and transportable. Modern drives exist that can easily hold all of this data on a single disk - you're talking about 3/4ths of 8TB if I'm not mistaken, but even at a full 8TB you can do that to a single drive without fuss.

And as far as testing the drives? You'll need an external enclosure if you don't have a desktop with the correct ports. You'll also need to know who made them. And then use the appropriate diagnostic tools from that manufacturer (be lazy, use Ultimate Boot CD, but you still need to know which tool you're booting into). It may be that the drives themselves can be salvaged, and with luck its just the chassis that's toast, but the drives may also be a lost cause. Just preparing you for the worst case scenario (and again this is why I'd get the data onto something else for its own safety (and on that note: RAID is NEVER a substitute for a proper backup regime - multiple copies make for a happy life)).

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 36
Ah the joy of external RAID in a box...
ph34r.gif

Be forewarned: I am not trying to insult you or your choices. I do, however, hate these kinds of devices and I'm not going to make any apologies for them - they're generally overpriced cheap junk, and often fail more consistently than whatever they're advertised as being a good back-up device for.

So, it sounds like the "thing" here is not doing so well. Opening it needs to be the next step - you can evaluate the drive's health with them removed. Most likely the little controller board in this thing (which is very probably made from the absolute cheapest possible components, usually installed in the cheapest possible way, with no consideration given to cooling or longevity, it just has to make it out of the factory) has seen better days, and that's why you're having problems (I honestly can't tell you how many of these things I've junked over the years for this exact reason - they are *not* reliable devices and they do not stand up well to running 24x7). But wait it gets better! The drives are in RAID, but this may have been (as in: very probably was) accomplished in some proprietary way (as in you can't get that controller elsewhere and the data is basically chained to it), so recovering data stored in there may range between impossible and total pain in the neck (and yes, I hate these devices as a general rule, for this specific reason - they take in a ton of data and then leave you completely hosed when they fail, and often the manufacturers are all too happy to offer you some hilariously expensive "recovery service" that usually gets you a new piece of working hardware and that's about it; you could add the whole "lets throw multiple terabytes over USB" as a close second).

My advice at this point would be to open'er up and see what you can see. Sniff around for obvious signs of burn-off. Clean out any hairballs, dust colonies, etc as you find them. See if it runs better with its chassis open (no you won't let out the magic smoke, but some of these Buffalo enclosures are put together in such a cheap manner that the primary enclosure cabinet also encloses the PSU, so don't go sticking your fingers where they don't belong). If the drives have been over-temp'd and/or the controller board has been cooked a bit, it isn't actually that uncommon to experience what you're describing. Yes it will take ages to get the data off of there, but that's honestly "step 2" - get the data onto something safe and secure and then you can toy around with more intensive testing on the drives themselves (so that you aren't risking your data). The reason I say open it up and clean/try to get it better cooled is that it may help the file transfer situation.

So where are you putting the data? Well, an actual server is always a good choice. But we live in the era of disposable mobile devices and everyone wants their cute little USB gadgets. So the easy second answer is to grab a big'ol single-disk external solution, sure it isn't going to be a bastion of reliability or data security, but there's also no proprietary tomfoolery behind it, and the data is much more recoverable and transportable. Modern drives exist that can easily hold all of this data on a single disk - you're talking about 3/4ths of 8TB if I'm not mistaken, but even at a full 8TB you can do that to a single drive without fuss.

And as far as testing the drives? You'll need an external enclosure if you don't have a desktop with the correct ports. You'll also need to know who made them. And then use the appropriate diagnostic tools from that manufacturer (be lazy, use Ultimate Boot CD, but you still need to know which tool you're booting into). It may be that the drives themselves can be salvaged, and with luck its just the chassis that's toast, but the drives may also be a lost cause. Just preparing you for the worst case scenario (and again this is why I'd get the data onto something else for its own safety (and on that note: RAID is NEVER a substitute for a proper backup regime - multiple copies make for a happy life)).

Thanks very much for all that info.

I'm lazy and not very technical at all, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Although I'm paranoid since I spent so much on it and it holds my private data, I kind of just want to hire someone to take care of all this for me...

As it is now, it would probably take months on end to back up all that data, and that's if it doesn't die on me first.

It especially sucks because it was marketed as being designed for 24/7/365 operation.

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #30 of 36
Thanks very much for all that info.

I'm lazy and not very technical at all, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Although I'm paranoid since I spent so much on it and it holds my private data, I kind of just want to hire someone to take care of all this for me...

It's really not that hard. You'll need a screwdriver, a bit of patience (most of this will be sitting on your hands watching it do things), and a bit of cash. :xf_eek:

Sending it out is...potentially not so great an idea. Apart from how much "data recovery" usually costs, there's all sorts of sketchy-ness that can go on if you've got personal info on there (I don't want to, or need to, know what's on there, but hypothetically if we're talking about things like bank statements or other financial records, I wouldn't send it out, and if you're going to dispose of those drives I'd do it only after completely annihilating them (yes I mean like putting a few rounds through them or playing sledgehammer croquet with them)).

As it is now, it would probably take months on end to back up all that data, and that's if it doesn't die on me first.

And this is basically why I'm saying get the data somewhere safe - much worse if it eats it, and since its "not working right" that possibility needs to at least be considered as being on the table.

It especially sucks because it was marketed as being designed for 24/7/365 operation.

See above. I honestly don't know why these kinds of devices perpetuate...:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back