External DAC with Rega Planet?
Jul 10, 2008 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ascherjim

100+ Head-Fier
As the Rega Planet CD player has a built-in DAC, does it make any sense to instead feed a digital signal from it to an external DAC? I suppose what I'm really asking is how good is the unit's internal DAC? And if bypassing it is recommended, why bother with paying the extra cost of buying a CD player so equipped rather than just a basic CD transport?

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #2 of 11
The planet is a very good cd player. I wouldnt bother using it with an external dac unless you are looking to spend some serious cash. The player by itself is a remarkable product.
It does work well as a transport too though. A friend of mine uses it to feed his dCS Elgar dac.
Thats how far HE went to get significantly better sound.

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Champ04 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The planet is a very good cd player. I wouldnt bother using it with an external dac unless you are looking to spend some serious cash. The player by itself is a remarkable product.
It does work well as a transport too though. A friend of mine uses it to feed his dCS Elgar dac.
Thats how far HE went to get significantly better sound.

Champ04: Thanks for the information. Just what I was hoping to receive. It's a big help. Regards, Jim

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ascherjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As the Rega Planet CD player has a built-in DAC, does it make any sense to instead feed a digital signal from it to an external DAC? I suppose what I'm really asking is how good is the unit's internal DAC? And if bypassing it is recommended, why bother with paying the extra cost of buying a CD player so equipped rather than just a basic CD transport?

The Digital to Analogue Converter is just one audio processing step upon which far too much responsibility is placed by people not familiar with the design process of a CDP or DAC.
What you should be asking is how good is the reproduction from the CD player at the RCA analog output? And would using an external DAC offer you a sound signature that is more pleasing than the one the Rega exhibits? Unless you try a number of DACs on your Rega and in your system, the answer is impossible to know. Even using the same DAC with different amps or speakers can produce different sound signatures.

Jul 11, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #5 of 11
You should try running the Planet on its own to see how you like it. I love mine - it has a natural ease to it. The SA8001 is awfully good, but the Planet has an organic sound found in very few players. Coupled with some nice tubes it has a touch of analog magic. It's a keeper.

I did try running the Planet to a PreSonus Central Station while I had it. That changed the character of the sound. It was still good and I liked the upsampling, but the Planet's charms were gone.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 11
Guys: Thanks to you all for your very useful comments. I have in fact not yet purchased a Rega Planet, and am presently contemplating the purchase of a used one. Different models are being offered, from the initial one of the late 1990's to the 2000 model. Obviously, the earlier model is cheaper. Have you any experience or recommendations that might aid me in my choice, i.e., would the initial model provide me essentially as good sound reproduction from its internal DAC, or essentially an equally viable reproduction using it as only a transport with my existing Headroom Mini DAC? I apologize for seemingly going around in circles here, but any further comments you have will hopefully assist me in making my final decision.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #7 of 11
Personally speaking, I would never buy a CDP 2nd hand. Some laser pickups are no longer available, and the life time of them is not an exact science yet.
If you put your hearts and mind on getting a Rega, then save up and get a brand spanking new one with full guarantee. I would offer the same advise for headphones. Anything else I am prepared to take a chance on 2nd hand.

Jul 11, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #8 of 11
FWIW, if I'm going to spend a significant amount of cash on a CDP, it better have a good internal DAC.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally speaking, I would never buy a CDP 2nd hand. Some laser pickups are no longer available, and the life time of them is not an exact science yet.

Actually, this is a good point. The Rega Planet transport mechanism is no longer available. And while I have never seen one go bad there is always a first.
The Rega Apollo, by comparison, is significantly better than the Planet was. And its transport/laser is made specifically for Rega thus making it potentially infinitely available.

Not to complicate your decision making here. But my opinion would be that waiting to afford the Apollo would be a good decision.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 11
I've had the Planet 2000 (2 of them) for over 4 years and now have the Apollo. No doubt, the Apollo is far superior. The planet manages to avoid sounding digital by a severe treble-rollof (in my speakerbased system that is) but the price is a very small soundstage and an undetailed, grayish sound. The Apollo OTOH is very musical, spatious and detailed without any tradeoffs other then that it could be bettered for far much money. So clearly my advice is forget the Planet go for the Apollo.

Edit; the remark about the transport no longer available from Champ04 is true too, though Rega might have some in storage for repairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back