External DAC EQ
Aug 18, 2009 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Crazy*Carl

500+ Head-Fier
If I were to use an external DAC, would a volume icon appear at the bottom right of Windows like it does with a normal pci or onboard soundcaard? Also if it does can you adjust the bass and treble here or do you do that with foobar or itunes? I am trying to learn more about DACs so thanks for any answers. Here is a picture of what I currently do and what I am kinda asking:

Aug 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3 of 34
1st, get rid of all of that EQ. Second, isn't the Extigy an external DAC? IF it is, then set it to use ASIO or WASAPI, do a little searching on those subjects.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #5 of 34
Against EQing? It makes the sound so much better imo, it sounds bad without it..... I had no idea most audiophiles are against eqing, all new to me...

Also keep in mind I'm listening mostly to electronic dance music and rock.

Let me do some listening with it flat and I will report back
biggrin.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #7 of 34
The idea of Hi-Fi is to recreate the original performance. In the age of studio recordings this is somewhat irrelevant as there is no single original performance. EQ is used to compensate for an old defective recording, to correct an imperfect playback chain of equipment, or to account for the listener's preferences.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_cool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The idea of Hi-Fi is to recreate the original performance. In the age of studio recordings this is somewhat irrelevant as there is no single original performance. EQ is used to compensate for an old defective recording, to correct an imperfect playback chain of equipment, or to account for the listener's preferences.

Ok, that makes alot more sense now, thanks.

However the bass is just really lacking to me when I do this. I have to turn it up so loud to get the bass where I like. I am sure I have a very unrefined audio taste right now, but I will keep testing things out.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #9 of 34
From a recent review: Bass was big and beautifully defined, midrange was crystal clear, and the treble had plenty of sparkle without a hint of harshness or glare.

cnet

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 34
Update. I have been listening to all the eq flat for the past few days and I just don't like it right now. I am sure this would be different if I had a high quality setup, which I would like to hear sometime. For now I like to hear a good amount of bass and treble for now. Though it seems every year I turn it slightly down.

Sep 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 34
Sorry to bring an old thread to life but I have the same questuion: do external DACs come with software that enables EQing? Right now I have an onboard dac in my PC that has an EQ option and I know most PC audio cards come with a software that enables EQ. I wonder if audio interfaces like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD come with a software that enables EQing?

Sep 15, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 34
Sorry to bring an old thread to life but I have the same questuion: do external DACs come with software that enables EQing? Right now I have an onboard dac in my PC that has an EQ option and I know most PC audio cards come with a software that enables EQ. I wonder if audio interfaces like Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Behringer U-Phoria UMC202HD come with a software that enables EQing?
no those devices will come with software suites for DAW, it's for post processing purpose after you've recorded sounds with those devices. the 2 models you give are ADC(analog to digital for recording), is that what you're really looking for? or just an accident and you're in search only of a DAC(digital to analog, so for playback purpose only)?
those 2 devices do both, but maybe that's not what you were looking for.

anyway external DACs won't come with EQ solutions, soundcards might have those more often. but there are ways, it's computer stuff after all. obviously, having an EQ in your music player seems like a good start, but in case you desire the EQ system wide, on windows you'd use something like Equalizer APO. on Mac I don't know but there probably is something too.

Sep 15, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #13 of 34
no those devices will come with software suites for DAW, it's for post processing purpose after you've recorded sounds with those devices. the 2 models you give are ADC(analog to digital for recording), is that what you're really looking for? or just an accident and you're in search only of a DAC(digital to analog, so for playback purpose only)?
those 2 devices do both, but maybe that's not what you were looking for.

Yes, I am actually looking for a DAC, but I need ballanced outputs. I couldn't find a DAC with that, so I thought about audio interfaces.

anyway external DACs won't come with EQ solutions, soundcards might have those more often. but there are ways, it's computer stuff after all. obviously, having an EQ in your music player seems like a good start, but in case you desire the EQ system wide, on windows you'd use something like Equalizer APO. on Mac I don't know but there probably is something too.

Yeah, I already tried Equalizer APO and it's great. It works on my current onboard DAC, which is a Realtek one and from what You are saying it will work with an external DAC as well?

Sep 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 34
Yes, I am actually looking for a DAC, but I need ballanced outputs. I couldn't find a DAC with that, so I thought about audio interfaces.

Yeah, I already tried Equalizer APO and it's great. It works on my current onboard DAC, which is a Realtek one and from what You are saying it will work with an external DAC as well?
there are always ways as you're doing the EQ inside the computer before sending the signal to the DAC. if having EQ is your only real concern, stop worrying and get the device with the specs and connectivity that work for you.
right now I'm not using equalizer APO, but some virtual cable and a VST host. it's yet another option, so no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back