eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 14, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #2,701 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...right now I am going through a major transition from one important and dependable client to two new ones because the old one is going away. I'm going to have to pay serious attention to this for a while. So I don't know at the moment.

I know how hard business can be right now. Take care of it.
You have helped many of us out with this project, and I for
one have to thank you. Good luck with the new accounts.

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #2,703 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard an eXStata today at the NYC Meet. I was very impressed.

That's cool. I'm curious who's build was it? Hybrid or Solid State?

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2,704 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's cool. I'm curious who's build was it? Hybrid or Solid State?

THINK it's mine - a red board proto hybrid. I'm waiting on Kerry's observation, comparing that with his from-scratch Blue Hawaii build. Maybe JP will weigh in as well... btw, this will all hopefully show in the NY meet impressions thread (I am watching).

Edit: Understood Ari had one as well - Nate???

Keith, is everything sorted on yours? And, NABU for the win.
wink_face.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:34 AM Post #2,705 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink_face.gif

I've go a quad of 6s4a's coming in. I think moving over to the 115vac
lead of the transformer seems to be better. The rails hold steady just under 300vdc.
I still get drift on the outputs and to ground, but I'm hoping
the new tubes help. Either way, it sounds good. I may still change out
the 91 volt zeners for 100volt zeners. There is enough extra to do it now.
Before, the +/- sometimes went down to 313vdc, and the rails dropped
a volt or two. I think it's safe to say there may be a couple of my other
Stax amps for sale soon.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #2,706 of 2,970
Quote:

THINK it's mine - a red board proto hybrid. I'm waiting on Kerry's observation, comparing that with his from-scratch Blue Hawaii build. Maybe JP will weigh in as well... btw, this will all hopefully show in the NY meet impressions thread (I am watching).

Edit: Understood Ari had one as well - Nate???

wink_face.gif

Yeah Al, it was your ExStata at the meet, and she was sounding mighty fine with JP's SR404ltd and Ari's DEQ2496. Really looking forward to getting the few bits I still need for my SS build. Sure was hot though.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:08 AM Post #2,707 of 2,970
Thanks, Colin... you and Nate need to get it in gear... and let me know if I can help with those bits...
wink_face.gif

Going old school tonight with Depeche Mode (pre Violator), The Smiths, Mighty Lemon Drops, Echo & The BunnyMen, Smithereens, and a little Styx. Nothing throws this amp, especially with the better source.

Ok, except the stupid clips on Monster Magnet...
angry_face.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #2,708 of 2,970
Well, thanks to Anthony, I've joined the build team
smily_headphones1.gif
I already have all the components for the amp (SS), but I still have to order the ones for the power source (except transformer) .
Which brigs me one problem: I can not find FQP3P50 . It seems that nobody has it on stock . Can it be replaced with something else ?

After some digging, I found MTP2P50EG - are these ok (75W max, 2A) ?

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2,709 of 2,970
Quote:

Thanks, Colin... you and Nate need to get it in gear... and let me know if I can help with those bits...
wink_face.gif

redface.gif

He's waiting on bits from me... Long running trade for his old RP18s.

They'll be in next week and flipped quickly so he'll be ready to build in a week.

EDIT:He might be waiting on jacks from Marc too, yeah, that's it!

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #2,710 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...right now I am going through a major transition from one important and dependable client to two new ones because the old one is going away. I'm going to have to pay serious attention to this for a while. So I don't know at the moment.

understand........good luck with your work!

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2,711 of 2,970
Hello all. I've read this thread with great interest. I really want one of these amps, but don't have the skills to build it completely myself. I've only done passive circuits like crossovers and filters. It's hard to start with a 600V one!

Anyone here interested in building a hybrid ExStatA? Otherwise, anyone know someone in the New York area who I can lean from? I know it's a long shot, but I thought I'd try.

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #2,712 of 2,970
Finally got around to making a sound recording of the buzz my PSU makes on power up. The file attached is the best I can do with a webcam mike and Head-Fi's file size limit - hope it is acceptable to give an idea of what is going on.

I still can't find anything else wrong, the PSU works as normal when the buzzing stops, and the buzzing doesn't happen when the PSU is warm......

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #2,715 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally got around to making a sound recording of the buzz my PSU makes on power up. The file attached is the best I can do with a webcam mike and Head-Fi's file size limit - hope it is acceptable to give an idea of what is going on.

I still can't find anything else wrong, the PSU works as normal when the buzzing stops, and the buzzing doesn't happen when the PSU is warm......

I couldn't get the MP3 to extract for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back