eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Mar 11, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #2,688 of 2,970
After re-reading the thread, a question about the 269jx.
Do you have three input leads, white, Black(125volt in) and gray(115v in)?
And if so, which one did you use? The specs say it was a production mod,
so not all of them have it. My wall power was close to 125VAC, so
I used the black lead. I tried the gray lead while up on the test loads,
and the t1/t3 voltages jump up to 348 volts. That would require me to
go to all 100 volt zeners? Good idea or bad idea? The other lead gave me
just over 320 volts at t1/t3. Both give me about 299 vdc at the rails.
If I ever go somewhere that the voltage is down to 115vac, The t1/t3
wouldn't have much overhead to feed the rails.
I've been working on the front plate while working out my tube issues.
The front and top look presentable now. I'll never be another "Dr. Wood".
Not even close!

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #2,690 of 2,970
I've gotten a few questions about the volume board that Beefy used in his build. I'm considering making a few more boards, but would like a few beta builders who are comfortable with SMD and willing to actually build the board in a reasonable time frame and offer feedback. I won't be able to build this version any time soon and there are are a few changes this go around that need to be tested. I'd be willing to provide a preprogrammed microcontroller, two PGA chips, and the board itself. If anyone would like to help, please PM me. Thanks!

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #2,691 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten a few questions about the volume board that Beefy used in his build. I'm considering making a few more boards, but would like a few beta builders who are comfortable with SMD and willing to actually build the board in a reasonable time frame and offer feedback. I won't be able to build this version any time soon and there are are a few changes this go around that need to be tested. I'd be willing to provide a preprogrammed microcontroller, two PGA chips, and the board itself. If anyone would like to help, please PM me. Thanks!

I'll send you a PM too, but I'm setting up a reflow oven.
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #2,692 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll send you a PM too, but I'm setting up a reflow oven.
beerchug.gif

unfortunately, this is a two sided board (I find the hot plate technique to work better than a toaster oven).. but it's easy enough to solder. I've extended the pads quite a bit on the SOIC devices which makes it easier. I wouldn't say this is any harder than any of amb's projects, if not easier.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2,693 of 2,970
Quote:

unfortunately, this is a two sided board (I find the hot plate technique to work better than a toaster oven).. but it's easy enough to solder. I've extended the pads quite a bit on the SOIC devices which makes it easier. I wouldn't say this is any harder than any of amb's projects, if not easier.

No worries. The oven I'm using is IR on top and I can use just the top element, so you solder one side, flip it, and surface tension plus lower heat holds the chips on the bottom while the top reflows.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #2,694 of 2,970
Quote:

Can't say much for the documentation though......
wink.gif

But seriously, I had few troubles putting one together, even with a standard 1.6mm Hakko tip and fairly coarse solder. Better tweezers would be the one thing I would invest in before doing another, because the resistors are tiny - but the chips were indeed very easy.

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #2,696 of 2,970
Ok, so I'm new to DIY amp's, but I was wondering if its possible to build an eXStatA without a printed circuit board? They seem to be pretty tough to get a hold of. Can I point to point wire it from the available diagrams? I'll be building another couple of amps first, but I'd like to order the parts all together if possible.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #2,697 of 2,970
It is my opinion that this will be a difficult p2p build because of the care needed to keep high voltages apart while keeping components as close together as possible. But, I know that someday someone will do this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #2,698 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is my opinion that this will be a difficult p2p build because of the care needed to keep high voltages apart while keeping components as close together as possible. But, I know that someday someone will do this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,
Is there any plan to have another run of boards anytime soon?

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #2,699 of 2,970
Well...right now I am going through a major transition from one important and dependable client to two new ones because the old one is going away. I'm going to have to pay serious attention to this for a while. So I don't know at the moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back