eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 30, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #1,831 of 2,970
Larry try to listen to the ESP950 on that eXStatA if you can borrow one.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:12 AM Post #1,832 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So true Larry...I've been calling for the latter for a while now.. should we start a thread then? I have had a couple or so PMs from folk who are willing to be on board. AM sure that would gro wto a sizeable number of folk once we have the thread going.

edit:

Larry try to listen to the ESP950 on that eXStatA if you can borrow one.
wink.gif

That sounds good to me.

Also, I think that Bill recently bought my old APS modded re-cabled ESP-950 from the guy that bought them from Blutarsky (I traded them for a PS Audio DLIII DAC), so I will be able to try them on the eXStatA at some point.

I did also try the SR-Lambda (normal bias) on the eXStatA, and via single ended input they still sounded a little etched with a smiley face curve, but with balanced input they filled out and sounded even better. So, that is a good match too. I need to get new silicone tips for my SR-003 to try them, and I'll also be trying my Jade and my SR-5 Gold Edition (normal bias) with the eXStatA soon.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #1,833 of 2,970
Yup, it's true, after a Hawaiian vacation, they are coming back to Colorado to roost. I wanted something similar to the unavailable and unaffordable (by me) HE-60s sound.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #1,834 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I was so excited I had to call Bill 3 times to tell him how it sounded)

Indeed! And thanks for not letting the entire DIY world know I forgot to bolt down the PS to the standofs, and it came loose and nearly electrocuted you!
redface.gif

Thought you'd like to hear it. Just to tide you over...
icon10.gif

Dec 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #1,835 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I parallel (3) power LEDs per channel? I need (6) for back lighting on my chassis faceplate.

I would suggest connecting the LEDs in series, not in parallel. With the voltage available you can easily drive 100 of them.

Dec 30, 2009 at 3:13 PM Post #1,836 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest connecting the LEDs in series, not in parallel. With the voltage available you can easily drive 100 of them.

Thanks. I should have said series, not parallel, or rather just use (3) per side. That is the most I'll need, it may only be two per side...

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #1,837 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bravo! (I was so excited I had to call Bill 3 times to tell him how it sounded)

Excited enough to post in the impressions thread?
tongue_smile.gif

The enduring problem we (all) have is that electrostats are such a small % of the population, they are obscured by the noise to signal ratio - but getting more attention to a really good design might help getting more signal - then, in turn, getting more actually heard.

This is crucial to getting better signal.

Not sure we can repay our debt to runeight - except enjoying the gift he has given.

Now, where are the other builders, and, impressions? Please, PLEASE put them in the impressions thread.

Dec 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #1,839 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The cost per set will probably be similar to before, about $25. However, I'd still like to limit the buys to one board set per builder. But, we'll see how this rolls out over the next week or so while we wait for the boards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Current status. Need 4 more SS board builders.
smily_headphones1.gif

Count me in for 1 set Alex. I can pay for 2 sets if you need to push the order through, then sell 1 set to a future builder, if it would help. If I should get some more 271's then I could also provide matched quads, or trade for sub-10mA parts like luvdunhill suggested before. People can check with Marc and I'm sure he will fix them up also.

Dec 30, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #1,841 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trade for sub-10mA parts like luvdunhill suggested before. People can check with Marc and I'm sure he will fix them up also.

Team-Extreme-JFET-Matching could consolidate all >10mA Idss parts into a single group that would probably be easiest. Unfortunately, I cannot really volunteer for the task of matching at the moment, but I'm happy to send them on.

Dec 30, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #1,842 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Count me in for 1 set Alex. I can pay for 2 sets if you need to push the order through, then sell 1 set to a future builder, if it would help. If I should get some more 271's then I could also provide matched quads, or trade for sub-10mA parts like luvdunhill suggested before. People can check with Marc and I'm sure he will fix them up also.

OK. On the list.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm expecting boards next week, probably late. When I get them I will ask you all for you shipping addresses. I can get them all out before things get intense.

Dec 31, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #1,843 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Team-Extreme-JFET-Matching could consolidate all >10mA Idss parts into a single group that would probably be easiest. Unfortunately, I cannot really volunteer for the task of matching at the moment, but I'm happy to send them on.

Yea, I didn't mean to volunteer you for the matching job there.
I don't mind doing matching for folks, but I'm actually low on parts at the moment. I just sold my last perfectly matched quad, and don't have anything coming in right now.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #1,844 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue_smile.gif

The enduring problem we (all) have is that electrostats are such a small % of the population, they are obscured by the noise to signal ratio - but getting more attention to a really good design might help getting more signal - then, in turn, getting more actually heard.

Not sure we can repay our debt to runeight - except enjoying the gift he has given.

Now, where are the other builders, and, impressions? Please, PLEASE put them in the impressions thread.

I didn't know about the impressions thread so I posted them here. I'll go there and post it as well.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #1,845 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue_smile.gif

I'm still gathering parts and waiting for my E-P iron for both amps.

I'm being very methodical and particular. I'm putting a lot of effort into the cases for both amps. I'm not going to rush the builds, but they are moving forward. As soon as the amps are done, I'll definitely post up my pics and impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back