eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Oct 5, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #106 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like I said before, it had no problem driving the O2 Mk1 at all. Everything else was also a piece of cake (Jade, HE60, SR-404LE, SR-Lambda Signature, SR-Lambda, SR-Gamma Pro with wood cups/O2 Mk1 pads. It could cleanly drive the O2 loud enough with infected mushroom to vibrate the skin around my ears and tickle my ear drums. It was quite sensitive to the sound of the DAC and transport being used - ruthless in fact.

950's are as easy to drive as a Lambda Sig, and since it can sound good with my HE60 then the ESP-950 would be a no brainer.

Don't forget I'm already first in line.
very_evil_smiley.gif

So, RE: the OII MK1s, you would prefer this to the GES that you have? Understanding that you've only had limited exposure, you feel it is more capable than the GES?

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #107 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, RE: the OII MK1s, you would prefer this to the GES that you have? Understanding that you've only had limited exposure, you feel it is more capable than the GES?

I find it quite satisfying that our little amp is being compared in this manner to an amp that lists at $1450.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #108 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it quite satisfying that our little amp is being compared in this manner to an amp that lists at $1450.

As well you should!

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #109 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget I'm already first in line.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Shoot, Larry, I've been in line for two months.
evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #110 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shoot, Larry, I've been in line for two months.
evil_smiley.gif

Heh..looks like Smeggy beat you both to it..He should be getting his within the next two weeks..or as soon as I can get myself to smelling those solder fumes.
tongue.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:44 PM Post #111 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It does make sense though since if the extata would be sold commercially (in the sense how Woo amps are sold, not DIYFS) then it would be in that price range.

Oct 5, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #112 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does make sense though since if the extata would be sold commercially (in the sense how Woo amps are sold, not DIYFS) then it would be in that price range.

Dunno, there's so much more STUFF in the GES. Having more parts surely must make it sound better?

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #113 of 2,970
They are very different amp designs (AC vs. DC coupled to start off with) but similar complexity. The GES may look more busy because of all the coupling caps but that's not really the case. The GES could certainly be built for 400$ and the same goes for a KGSS, Egmont, Stax SRX etc. It all depends on how frugal the builder is and parts used.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #114 of 2,970
Ahh.

Sure is a lot more bling on the outside, though.

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #115 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let me put it this way, the improved soundstage, separation and power vs the GES is enough to make me want one even if the frequency response wasn't optimal in my rig. However, with the Marantz CD5001 > OPUS DAC > eXStatA I thought it sounded good with all the stats we tried. It sounds more solid state than tubey like my GES, but I still enjoyed it just as much. I liked the WES the most followed by the A-10 for their richer mids, but now it would be a choice between the WES and eXSstata if I was buying my first stat amp and didn't have one for my O2 Mk1. The KGBH SE mids were lacking a bit vs the others. The GES is a bit richer and refined sounding, so the eXSstatA wont be replacing my GES for my Jade, HE60, Smegma Pro, SR-404 LE, SR-Lambda, SR-5 gold edition and SR-003. On the other hand, the WES is good enough to replace my GES, but those cost 2x my maxed GES which has pro/normal bias and loop out.

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #116 of 2,970
Hello everyone.

There seems to be some concern that there won't be a diy offering of this amp.

So, to settle this concern, there will be. In fact, I've already created the web pages on Cavalli Audio website similar to the other designs there. They just haven't been turned on yet.

However, since this is a HV amp I want to have more builds working for more than just a few days before making a release. I learned with the Bijou that HV can be problematic for some first time builders. And we want to be sure there are no problems that occur over time that don't happen in the first few hours.

There is still only one tube version of the amp working (it is working properly), but not enough time with it to make a release to all possible interested builders.

We may want to put a few more amps in the hands of an additional group of people for testing/listening before there is a general diy release. More hands and ears. So, hang in there while the testing period continues.

And look for some reports on the tube version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #117 of 2,970
^^^ thanks for setting the record straight Alex.

And thanks again for your generosity to the DIY community. This amp is going to debunk some myths (and has done so already) and will bring great electrostats sound to more people at a low cost.

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:03 AM Post #118 of 2,970
Hey Alex,
Thanx for the info here! Very nice project you guys have pulled off here. Can't wait for the finished project to be available. Great work and great reviews!

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #119 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone.

There seems to be some concern that there won't be a diy offering of this amp.

So, to settle this concern, there will be. In fact, I've already created the web pages on Cavalli Audio website similar to the other designs there. They just haven't been turned on yet.

However, since this is a HV amp I want to have more builds working for more than just a few days before making a release. I learned with the Bijou that HV can be problematic for some first time builders. And we want to be sure there are no problems that occur over time that don't happen in the first few hours.

There is still only one tube version of the amp working (it is working properly), but not enough time with it to make a release to all possible interested builders.

We may want to put a few more amps in the hands of an additional group of people for testing/listening before there is a general diy release. More hands and ears. So, hang in there while the testing period continues.

And look for some reports on the tube version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Alex, Congrats! This is going to be a game changer, because no longer will the SRM-717 be the cheap option for driving the Stax O2. It will also make a lot of people who are trying to sell their lesser vintage Stax amps unhappy.

I want to upgrade my GES to a WES, but don't think I can afford it - in that case I want to get an eXStata in addition to my GES. I think it will make a nice addition around here to have both. All that remains is to determine whether it's the 6S4 tube version or SS version, and whether power upgrades will be available. I found a really nice guy to build one already.
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 6, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #120 of 2,970
I am dying for this one...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back