eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Sep 30, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 2,970
Details are coming.

One thing I'd like to point out, that $325ish number pabbi1 gave is all-inclusive.

You can stuff both the PS and amp boards with Mouser parts, and that Mouser order is under $200 including the iron.

All you need aside from that is the boards, suitable hookup wire, a socket compatible with your chosen headphones, and a box to stick it in. And a power cord for the filtered IEC inlet.

A determined cheap person could bring it in under $250.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #18 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Details are coming.

One thing I'd like to point out, that $325ish number pabbi1 gave is all-inclusive.

You can stuff both the PS and amp boards with Mouser parts, and that Mouser order is under $200 including the iron.

All you need aside from that is the boards, suitable hookup wire, a socket compatible with your chosen headphones, and a box to stick it in. And a power cord for the filtered IEC inlet.

Agreed,

I would actually say this can be put together for about 225-230. Mine totals to about 275 and that includes the 8$ RCA jacks, 10$ shaft extension kit, 14$ knob ,32$ potentiometer and a surplus case that cost me 7$.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:11 AM Post #19 of 2,970
That is just amazing!

This weekend we'll get to try O2 Mk1, Jade, HE60, SR-404LE, and Smegma Pro with wiatrob's. I'm assuming it's Pro bias, or I'll have to grab my SR-Lambda as well for normal bias.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 2,970
The rigs at RMAF will be fully balanced (one may have a switchable set of SE inputs) - but will use two pots (RK27s) for volume control in keeping with the affordable nature of this amp...

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rigs at RMAF will be fully balanced (one may have a switchable set of SE inputs) - but will use two pots (RK27s) for volume control in keeping with the affordable nature of this amp...

Bill, do you want me to bring two balanced DAC's with me to RMAF? Also, how much more costly is one balanced volume pot vs having the two volume pots?

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #23 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how about an uber frugal CB
tongue.gif
..dB

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bill, do you want me to bring two balanced DAC's with me to RMAF? Also, how much more costly is one balanced volume pot vs having the two volume pots?

four-deck pots are uncommon -- iirc the Alps blue one approaches $50, vs. $13-$17 each for the regular stereo pot.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #26 of 2,970
Quote:

That is just amazing!

This weekend we'll get to try O2 Mk1, Jade, HE60, SR-404LE, and Smegma Pro with wiatrob's. I'm assuming it's Pro bias, or I'll have to grab my SR-Lambda as well for normal bias.

That will be a very nice comparo!
biggrin.gif

Both amps will have Pro and Normal bias jacks simultaneously available and we can tweak the high bias for the phones of your choice - provided they plug into a 'standard' Stax Jack or you have an adapter cable.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #27 of 2,970
Quote:

Thanks for the DAC offer, I'll have my DACMagic, but we can chat offline about it.

AFA balanced pots go - you could always add a nice stepped attenuator and double the parts cost of the amp!
wink.gif

I have a candidate balanced and affordable pot here, I'll be wiring it up and if it works well it might go into one of the amps.

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #30 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That adjustable bias makes me think that those panel led meters will be very handy ..dB

eBayISAPI.dll

You mean something like the attached?
wink.gif
We've (er, I've) investigated, and while it can be done, there are a few caveats (most of these require additional 12V DC power, and the stat bias supply voltage is easily pulled down...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back