eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
May 10, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #2,941 of 2,970

Quote:
One more (solid state) eXStata up and running!  Listening with a pair of Koss ESP950's. Wow! First impression is that this little amp is hitting way above pay grade. Thanks Alex, for a tremendous gift to the community. This is too good not to take commercial, as it puts the high-end electrostatic world withen reach of a much broader group of listeners than ever before.

I also want to thank pabbi1 for stuffing my boards and his contagious enthusiasm for the project. I threw him some junk tube components in exchange, But I certinly got the better end of the deal. My eyes thank you too. Color codes on 1/8w resistors are no fun any more.

Good news Frank. Glad you like it. :) I too thank pabbi1 for all kinds of help.

May 12, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #2,945 of 2,970
Sweet, Nate... too bad you're having to change the input voltage, huh?   :)   Will she make it to CJ?

Anyone else have impressions??

May 12, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #2,946 of 2,970
Sadly she won't make CJ but it'll be because she's halfway around the world.  And it'll be world-voltage capable so Stretch can spread the love wherever he goes.

Quote:
Sweet, Nate... too bad you're having to change the input voltage, huh?   :)   Will she make it to CJ?

May 12, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #2,947 of 2,970

Quote:

Just got it today (finally!)
Drives the Sigma Pro very well if XLR input is used, the usual roll-off problems are there but the muddiness has gone away and the mid-bass hump has been reduced as well. With unbalanced input it seems to struggle a bit but the Sigmas are not easy to drive and balanced seems to work very well.

May 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #2,948 of 2,970

Quote:

Got about six hours on my solid state. Pairing it with "new to me" Koss ESP950's. The exSTata drives the 950's with a very dynamic, tight, and articulate presentation that energizes rock music in a way that my SRD-7/Lambda system never did. I've got Van Halen blowing my brains out with power and ease at 40% volume. Reminds me more of the HE-5 orthos than the Stax Lambdas. I haven't played much besides rock music yet. I keep daring this little amp to run out of steam, but it's taking everything I throw at it. As both headphones and amp are new to me, I'm not sure how to parcel out the credit. I do know however, that this is one killer combination. I'm having a blast.

If any more boards are made, I definitely want a pair of the hybrids.

May 13, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #2,950 of 2,970
Can someone confirm this, or not?

1.  There is no one selling an exstata kit

2.  There is no exstata kit

3.  There is no main board for the exstata

4.   There are no plans to do 1 through 4.

What happened?

May 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #2,951 of 2,970
The is not (and never was) a kit nor plans for a kit. Strictly boards and a published BOM.

Edit: Not my place to speak about this design, as it does not belong to me.

May 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2,952 of 2,970
^^^ Nice!!  
beerchug.gif

May 13, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #2,953 of 2,970
I'd love to see a commercial version.  There is a definite need for an amp that doesn't break the bank, and where people aren't forced to buy vintage amps in order to drive the O2 on a tight budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back