eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Jan 12, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #2,027 of 2,970
Kinda what I thought... actually, this is one of the easiest builds to source, even without a pre-populated kit. Matching the FETs is probably the hardest part. As always, the really tough part is the case.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #2,028 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As always, the really tough part is the case.

Yeap. And the more I look at it, the more I realize I am probably going to give the amp a few coats of paint and get a custom front panel from FPE. Never done the latter, how much does something basic run, can someone give me a ballpark idea? I feel like the amp deserves a better home.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #2,029 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by sergery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey TimJo, how are you finding the volume levels with your setup? I am thinking about setting up a vinyl rig and considering various phono stages. I am concerned I will end up with a weak source though. I am not a maths pro, but I calculate u feed the exstata something like 150 mV, which seems low, but I didn't know all of the impedances so this could be way off.

I'm finding the volume level is not a problem. I have yet to get to 12 o'clock on the pot. A bit off topic, but I'm actually finding that you can listen to stats with good response at much lower listening levels as compared to dynamics anyway.

150 mV seems low. If you are running the turntable through a pre-amp, you'll be using the tape out. If you run it directly from the phono stage, then that would be dependent on the model, and the cartridge itself.

My Linn Linto specs for the outputs are:

Impedance: 100 ohms
Gain: 64db @ 1kHz
Max Out: 10.1 v p/p at 1kHz

My cart spec says 0.3mV @ 3.54 cm/s

I guess we need to know the input impedance of the eXStatA to get a ballpark for what kind of voltage my preamp is actually producing (at 1kHz & 3.54 cm/s anyway
wink.gif
).

Main thing is, I wouldn't worry about it. Vinyl on headphones is really amazing.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #2,030 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hopefully those of you who DO have eXStatA builds are enjoying them because we don't know when we'll get back to this.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it would seem from the posts, quite a few folks were encouraged to try stats as a result of this amp's availability.

Well, I can say I am loving mine, and I am certainly in the new stat owners camp. I never considered them before of the cost to get a decent setup, but this changed the equation, and I'm really happy to own one now. As I said in an earlier post, I'm going to be revisiting a lot of records through this setup over the coming months.

It's kinda feeling like it is a reference amp in it's neutrality. But this also makes it a bit unforgiving, even to recording sessions. Well recorded and well mastered albums are better than I've heard them, but on the other hand, poorly recorded or poorly mastered recordings are now much more obvious. Not a bad thing. It just makes you better appreciate the good stuff.

Thanks again Alex for devoting so much time to this, especially when it comes to explaining the design, and the design choices, and the tradeoffs. It is a great education at a very affordable price.
smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...actually, this is one of the easiest builds to source, even without a pre-populated kit. Matching the FETs is probably the hardest part. As always, the really tough part is the case.

Agreed. And as Alex has said, as long as you put the right part in the right place with the right orientation, it's probably going to just work.

My casework has turned into a bigger project as well. This is too good of an amp to not give it a good case, so I'm taking the time for it. But that isn't stopping me from listening. Just don't let kids or pets wander through if your going to attempt this at home.
eek.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #2,031 of 2,970
Quote:

Yeap. And the more I look at it, the more I realize I am probably going to give the amp a few coats of paint and get a custom front panel from FPE. Never done the latter, how much does something basic run, can someone give me a ballpark idea? I feel like the amp deserves a better home.

Rough ballpark, FPE panels are going to run $60 to $80 each + shipping both ways. It could be less if you do things like not having the engraving infilled with color and if you use your own material. If you use FPE's it'll probably run you another $10 on each panel. The amp I'm working on right now will use custom front and back panels which I should be ordering in a week or so now that I finally have the chassis.

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #2,032 of 2,970
Quote:

Just download the design software, make something, and it tells you how much it costs
smily_headphones1.gif

The prices varies wildly depending on options - for example, my Exstata front panel is going to run at ~$100. But I am going with a large 450*90*6mm panel, infilled engravings, countersunk holes, and tapped holes on the back of the panel which are all very expensive to do. But I could do it for only about $60 if I wanted something much more basic.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #2,033 of 2,970
You guys make me feel like such a slacker using wood, so, maybe I can get motivated to do something about that... and no stinking FPE either. Real men gring their own aluminum... even if we can't weld it.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #2,034 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's kinda feeling like it is a reference amp in it's neutrality. But this also makes it a bit unforgiving, even to recording sessions. Well recorded and well mastered albums are better than I've heard them, but on the other hand, poorly recorded or poorly mastered recordings are now much more obvious. Not a bad thing. It just makes you better appreciate the good stuff.

Dude, deja vu for me WRT b22/HF-2s - see OT: Forte comment.
A bit OT, but would not be without a fun/forgiving combo & a reference combo. Perhaps other stats would get you closer to having both in one.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #2,036 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried Cam Expert's new design software?

Front Panel Design and Fabrication Custom Front Panels

For Apple?!? *vomit*
wink.gif

Actually, while we're on the subject...... for anyone who has luvdunhill's Stax jack, you will know that you can either glue the jack barrel into the back piece, or 'sandwich' the jack between a cavity in the front panel and the back piece. I am very tempted to try the latter; I think it will give a better fit and a better look.

But I am unsure of how much of a 'ridge' I will need on the cavity in order to hold the jack in place and have good integrity in the front panel. It looks like the most gap you could get away with around the Stax plug is 1.5mm around the radius and 1.5mm depth. MAYBE 2mm in either dimension if you push it?

I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this......

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #2,037 of 2,970
Quote:

Hey TimJo, how are you finding the volume levels with your setup? I am thinking about setting up a vinyl rig and considering various phono stages. I am concerned I will end up with a weak source though. I am not a maths pro, but I calculate u feed the exstata something like 150 mV, which seems low, but I didn't know all of the impedances so this could be way off.

As a ball park, the phono stage of my Dyna Pas 3 has 40db gain @ 1k Hz. With a 5mV cart that is enough gain to go straight to the eXStatA amp. With a 0.5mV output cart it is not enough. Most phono stages these days seem to have 50+db gain, so unless you go to a lo output MC you are likely okay. If you can decide on the cart then you can figure out how much gain you will need in the phono section.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #2,038 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like the most gap you could get away with around the Stax plug is 1.5mm around the radius and 1.5mm depth. MAYBE 2mm in either dimension if you push it?

I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on this......

Looking at my notes, I was planning 1.5mm radius. I'm not sure why the depth would be limited, so I'll have to think about that. I'll remeasure tonite though.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #2,039 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dude, deja vu for me WRT b22/HF-2s - see OT: Forte comment.
A bit OT, but would not be without a fun/forgiving combo & a reference combo. Perhaps other stats would get you closer to having both in one.

That makes sense you found the same thing with the b22 based on all of the comments i've read about it. One of these days i'll have to get to a meet and have a listen. I'm happy to have both kinds as well, depending on the mood and the record. Tube rolling on the CTH provides plenty of choices which is quite a luxury.

Right now i'm listening to Van Morrison - Moondance. This is the reissue that was remastered/recut by Steve Hoffmann and Kevin Gray. It is a great example of how a good recording can shine on this amp.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,040 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at my notes, I was planning 1.5mm radius. I'm not sure why the depth would be limited, so I'll have to think about that. I'll remeasure tonite though.

I don't have accurate measuring equipment, so I just wasn't sure whether the plug would still clear the ridge. But if the whole Stax plug will fit into the hole if the ridge radius is 1.5mm, then the depth can be whatever I want in order to get a nice looking recess for the jack.

Oh, and I guess I have no idea whether there are third-party jacks that are a different size/shape that might not fit. I'm still very new to this whole Stax game......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back