eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Jan 8, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #1,981 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, certainly TimJo has new phones

Just plugged them in for the first time.
biggrin.gif

Too soon to say much, other than they sound really nice, but very different compared to the CTH and DT 880 combo I've grown to love. I'm beginning to think that my ears may have gotten used to a more colored sound, and now I am hearing a truer representation of what is sitting in the record's groove.

The amp is fantastic sounding (albeit only minutes into burn-in) and there is no shortage of bass extension with the 404LE's, so I am happy.
smile.gif

Thanks Alex for giving us an affordable, high end amp. I doubt I'd be listening to stats right now without your generosity to the head-fiers. Thanks!!!

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #1,982 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by runeight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I still need:

XXII
bidoux
acmemr

bidoux, I know you are working on this.

Hi Alex,

I've sent you a pm regarding this.
icon10.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #1,984 of 2,970
Thinking more about a measurement jig... would a capacitive divider work? Say a 3pF capacitor with a 3000pF capacitor for the bottom of the attenuator. Perhaps add a voltage buffer... Result, dead 'scope? Dead amp? Dead people? Or.... ghetto wide frequency 1000:1 probe?

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #1,985 of 2,970
Its alive! And making sweet, sweet music
biggrin.gif

exstatayeah.jpg

Very early impressions are that it exceeds even the lofty expectations raised by Pabbi, headphoneaddict and others. Certainly superior to my previous t-amp SRD7-SB combo. Dead silent noise floor at normal listening volumes.

Mounting everything in the case will commence this week, as will the FPE order.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #1,987 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

exstatayeah.jpg

Very early impressions are that it exceeds even the lofty expectations raised by Pabbi, headphoneaddict and others. Certainly superior to my previous t-amp SRD7-SB combo. Dead silent noise floor at normal listening volumes.

Mounting everything in the case will commence this week, as will the FPE order.

Nice! What Vol control is that?

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,988 of 2,970
I'll let the person behind the volume control speak up if they so choose.

Suffice to say, it is freaking fantastic. Well, once it is wired up correctly anyway....
redface.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #1,989 of 2,970
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Quote:

...it exceeds even the lofty expectations...

Quote:

Certainly superior...

Quote:

Dead silent noise floor...

I'de say he's got the bug.
evil_smiley.gif

Very nice, as usual, Beefy.

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #1,990 of 2,970
Quote:

I'll let the person behind the volume control speak up if they so choose.

Suffice to say, it is freaking fantastic. Well, once it is wired up correctly anyway....
redface.gif

Documentation has never been my strong suit
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't I hi-jacked this thread enough? I guess this is one of those things boiling in kitchen so to speak. Looks like magic, but it's functionally a balanced 192-step attenuator (down to -95.5dB) in the mode that Beefy has configured it in.

I'm not sure what Beefy spent on it, but I know he has the current record for cheapest build (not including power supply and random 0805 resistors that might have went flying in the process).

Jan 10, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #1,991 of 2,970
I'll hijack it then
wink.gif

Its a balanced PGA2320 volume control, with rotary encoder. Usable rotation is much better than a pot, without having to turn way too many times to get volume. Encoder has a push switch shaft for mute.

Cost outlay was very low - well under $50. But the PGA chips were obtained at a significant discount.

Jan 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #1,994 of 2,970
It's that pesky mod that hangs around here that I worry about
tongue.gif

In this case, the devil is in the software, but the rest is fair game.

The datasheet is here:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pga2320.pdf

and the microcontroller I'm using:

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/p...ts/doc8006.pdf

My layout is here:

yaz88oy

ycsgt3d

Pretty straightforward and I tried to follow all the layout guidelines from the datasheet and what not. Trying to find time to work on developing the "companion" board in the next few weeks.

Here is what it looks like in it's intended deployment:

y9kwr67

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #1,995 of 2,970
way too tangential, shouldn't be allowed I tell you.

Marc, have you got a thread dedicated to this? I would like to read more about it. Looks fantastic. Great work too Beefy , looking very neat ..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back