eXStata DIY Electrostatic Amp for Intermediate DIYers
Dec 24, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #1,786 of 2,970
I should get my case today, then I'll have everything I need for my amp except the LDR's for the lightspeed style attenuator I'm going to build for it (I'm just going rca inputs). I do have a stepper I can use in the meantime.

Biggest problem I have is no headphone cable, lol.

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #1,787 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In a stroke of luck, my custom SumR transformer arrived today - I walked into my building just as the postwoman was walking out. It is sitting on a CD for size reference. A touch scuffed on the encapsulation, but who the hell cares?
wink.gif

I now have absolutely everything I need to have my amp fully built and cased, except for Stax Jacks (in the mail) and FPE panels (99% designed, pending jacks), so assuming no failures or part oversights, its going to be a productive holiday season!
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice - what was the final cost?

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #1,788 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice - what was the final cost?

Canadian $67 for the transformer, an additional $13 for shipping within Canada, tax, PayPal...... CA$87.36 at my door.

The proof will be in the pudding when I wire it up to a PSU - should be before the New Year.

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #1,789 of 2,970
Quote:

In a stroke of luck, my custom SumR transformer arrived today - I walked into my building just as the postwoman was walking out. It is sitting on a CD for size reference. A touch scuffed on the encapsulation, but who the hell cares?
wink.gif

I now have absolutely everything I need to have my amp fully built and cased, except for Stax Jacks (in the mail) and FPE panels (99% designed, pending jacks), so assuming no failures or part oversights, its going to be a productive holiday season!
smily_headphones1.gif

How are you mounting the STAX jack?

Dec 24, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #1,790 of 2,970
My Stax jacks are coming from luvdunhill. I will screw them in from the back of the front panel with blind threaded holes.

It adds approx $15 to the FPE work compared to just screw holes through from the front, but I think it will be worth it.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #1,793 of 2,970
Quote:

Of the 25 I bought from Mouser, 16 were Idss <10mA....... not great.

you kididng? that's great
smily_headphones1.gif
You're just not building the right amp. Sorry for not checking up, looks like digger945 took care of you though
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 25, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #1,794 of 2,970
Yep, Idss were all quite low. And digger945 definitely saved my bacon for making a really good JFET quad.

What is strange though is that all of his recorded Idss were all exactly 15% higher than what I measured. Someone's multimeter is off......
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #1,795 of 2,970
Here's what might be Sherwood's eXStata Beta (yah, it's just my proto case with the new PS and Hybrid board in it - I put it together so a 'certain individual' can have a listen).

Looking into getting a custom finish treatment on the front. Damn inconvenient these holidays.

Listening to it now. Sounds fantastic. Needs a window so you can see the toobs. OH, there's CCS heatsinks in front of them. Nevermind!

Dec 28, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #1,799 of 2,970
Quote:

Originally Posted by wiatrob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's what might be Sherwood's eXStata Beta (yah, it's just my proto case with the new PS and Hybrid board in it - I put it together so a 'certain individual' can have a listen).

wink_face.gif
L3000.gif
beerchug.gif

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #1,800 of 2,970
tested the first of the power supply boards.

Came up right away.
T1 and T3 measuring about 340V wrt G.
Bias voltages are dialed in, 291V zener string. Using a 269JX for the transformer. Have a 369JX as well for the other power supply board and amp.

Will now bring up the second board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back