eXStatA Build Thread II
Aug 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM Post #166 of 588
Aye Larry.

Wish I could post pics of the amp here as this is one sweet looking amp if I may say so and am rather jealous of you now lol.

I wrote off the exstata after listening to the proto version with the ESP950 and O2.. but once i heard the final version it became clear to me what a big step up the addition of the output CCS made to the amp.

For now am loving the SR-003 with this amp, damn impressive for the baby stax.  
wish the colorado meet was after the portland meet so the guys in PDX could listen to it. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #168 of 588
Larry's

Right now grooving to the Liquid Fire and the Liquid Gold here at 32 Ohm Audio. Ken's taken both his LCD-2s and Immitbiker has Kevin's LCD-2..so bummed, have to settle for some T1 something headphones
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #169 of 588

Quote:
I also have two SS boards sets, matched quads of the J271s, and PS iron kits still available.  Posting here, then they'll posted in the FS forum next week. 

Both sets of SS boards and iron are sold. 

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #170 of 588
Got the 6-pin sockets from allied electronics today. All I gotta say is wow, what crappy construction.

Anyways, for the bias wiring, what would be an appropriate AWG? One bias wire carries ~580V and the other ~230V, but neither have current load on them, is this correct? Does this mean that we don't have to care too much about the gauge of the wire except for its voltage rating?

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #171 of 588
Quote:
Got the 6-pin sockets from allied electronics today. All I gotta say is wow, what crappy construction.

Anyways, for the bias wiring, what would be an appropriate AWG? One bias wire carries ~580V and the other ~230V, but neither have current load on them, is this correct? Does this mean that we don't have to care too much about the gauge of the wire except for its voltage rating?

That's my understanding. I used 22 ga rated for 600 volts, but you could probably use 24 ga as well.

Aug 10, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #174 of 588
I usually use Mil 16878/5 in 22awg, but 600v rated is fine. I just use what I happen to have.

So, one build is finished out of 50 board sets? 

Aug 10, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #175 of 588
Another one is on the way. Got my mouser package today.

Everything else should slowly arrive within the next 3 weeks or so... I'm going through the package right now to see if I missed anything. Unfortunately, the C6 I got was too wide. I didn't like the plastic xlr inputs I bought either. So another mouser run for me.

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #177 of 588
Here are a couple of photos of my solid state eXStatA that Sachu cased up for me.  I should have it here in a couple of days.  It has a digital attenuator and teflon stax jacks from luvdunhill, and FPE 6mm front panel to allow mounting the jacks from behind.  Alex sold his spare stuffed SS boards to Blutarsky who passed them on to me, and Alex gave permission to use his logo in this DIY amplifier.

Aug 11, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #180 of 588
Well... I've been looking for replacements for C6. I could not find a suitable 100nF 1000v film cap with 22.5mm lead spacing at mouser, and the one in stock at digikey is slightly too wide. Newark is out of stock for the cap value, and farnell lists them as expecting shipment but does not list the date. The only place that has possible replacement right now is an ebay seller in Hong kong (http://cgi.ebay.com/WIMA-MKP10-Polyproplyene-Capactor-0-1uF-1000V-
" class="bbcode_smiley" height="" src="smileys/
" title="
" width="" />-PCS-/320573786201),which is probably going to take forever to arrive. What are my options here? Anyone have a spare cap lying around?

Worst comes to worst I can always wire the one I've got (which is too long) off board I guess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back