Exspensive dac vs cheap dac?
Mar 15, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #32 of 127
  Can you even measure things like sound separation?

Well, yes.  Channel separation is one of the oldest specs used for audio equipment.  It was really important in turntable cartridges and FM tuners because the signals were so close to each other (in a manner of speaking).  Digitally, this is usually a slam-dunk, but remember - everything has to be analog in order to get to our ear.  So, channel separation is still a very valid spec.

EDIT: I see Stan and I are on the same page with this one, although crosstalk is a tiny bit different.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #34 of 127
  Well I was referring to instrument separation and "space".

Those are usually considered two different things around here.  Instrument separation can indeed be thought of as channel separation (in reverse, crosstalk).  However, "space" is usually discussed as "soundstage."

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 127
  There's also the possibility that perhaps only high level equipment can hear the differences. I notice quite a lot of people say a lot of stuff against "snake oil" subjects when their profile suggests they own low-mid-fi gear that probably wouldn't hear it anyway.

I wouldn't expect an HD650 to hear the difference between a $600 dac and a $2000 dac for example. Especially without a good amp. But a HD800 might.

i have some high end headphones & I still think the differences between dacs are marginal. though I do not own any uber luxury dacs, i have demoed dacs up to the $2k price point. ...and concluded that i don't need to waste the money hahah.

ymmv of course

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #36 of 127
  i have some high end gear & I still think the differences between dacs are marginal. though I do not own any uber luxury dacs, i have demoed dacs up to the $2k price point. ...and concluded that i don't need to waste the money hahah.

ymmv of course

Marginal means there's still a difference!!
wink_face.gif

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #37 of 127
Marginal means there's still a difference!!
wink_face.gif

marginal enough that it can be do to placebo effect :wink:

hard to say either way a lot of times. esp after you do a lot of blind abx comparisons.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #39 of 127
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #40 of 127
I've had DACs in my system ranging from ~$9,000 to $69. Some sounded similar, some didn't. I never felt any of them offered a degree of improvement that matched by analog setup, so I used a decent CDP to play recordings that weren't available on LP. Not that it was used that much. All that changed when I heard, and subsequently bought, an Oppo105. Prior to that, if anyone were to assert a similar notion regarding the 105, I would not have believed them based on prior experience. YMMV

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #41 of 127
Just keep in mind that us "Meat Popsicles" are the weak link both perceptually as well as by suggestion. If anyone believes that they can hear anywhere as good as lab equipment, well I have some choice swampland to sell them. I'd say there are many highwaymen that will be glad to take your money.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #42 of 127
Just keep in mind that us "Meat Popsicles" are the weak link both perceptually as well as by suggestion. If anyone believes that they can hear anywhere as good as lab equipment, well I have some choice swampland to sell them. I'd say there are many highwaymen that will be glad to take your money.

What kind of music does lab equipment prefer? :wink:

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #43 of 127
What kind of music does lab equipment prefer?
wink.gif

Can we hear .01% THD or .01% IMD? Us humans can't even get close to that, Can we hear an FR difference of 0.1 dB, no way. I'll bet that you aren't interested in that "choice swampland" that I mentioned. Then why go for the marketing hype, myths and expectation bias? If you insist upon it, I will not stop you from blowing a few grand on a DAC and another few grand on an amp. I'd put some money into a good set of cans.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #44 of 127

FWIW, I've just started comparing my Meridian/Rega DAC's (by listening/spending sufficient amount of time with both).
I've owned used my Meridian-203 since 1991 with my stereo system, which I've sold and since have been using the Meridian with my main Hp system for about 3-4 years now since getting into HP's. I purchased the Rega DAC about 6 months ago, but tried it for 1 night, then never tried it again until about 2 weeks ago. I can tell you that I can clearly hear the differences between both DAC's. In short...the Meridians mid-range is more forward with less sound-stage and instrument separation and is harder to hear the micro details but I still can hear everything nicely. The Rega on (filter # 1) which is the only filter I've experimented with so far has a less forward mid-range ( a bit recessed) with a bigger sound-stage and wider instrument separation, and is easier to hear the micro details with. Both are very different sounding too  me…for sure! [size=x-small]I am still listening to both DAC's[/size]…[size=x-small](currently the Meridians turn) each one for 1 week at a time with (ALAC Files) through my MBP>DAC>GS-1 listening to the Jazz group "Fourplay" which are recorded extremely well, with both my RS1i/PS1K's and hear the same differences that I described between the DAC's with both HP's. [/size]All I'm saying is that I definitely do hear the differences between the both DAC's…their sound differences are very apparent too me.

Mar 15, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #45 of 127
Good luck guys, I'm done for the night. Spend plenty of money, it's good for the economy. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back