Explaining Closed Threads
Jul 7, 2003 at 4:51 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
So I see you and Magus are against me. Wonder why? Who else here hates me?

Let's make a poll!
rolleyes.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Let's make a poll!
rolleyes.gif

Go ahead.

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:22 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
What's the difference? This thread is ample proof that someone will likely take issue with something somehow no matter what. If you feel that strongly about it, why don't you write up a new policy and send the proposition off to Jude? Maybe he'll agree?

The difference is that the moderators are schooled in decorum. They have been given guidelines by Jude. Just because someone takes offence is not warrant enough to close a thread. The standard is the MAJORITY rule, whether or not the MAJORITY is likely to be offendeed. As the focus of this forum is on headphones, anything outside this realm is open to interpretation. If you have a beef, appeal to Ceasar. Just be ready to accept his death edict.

Jul 7, 2003 at 1:07 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Just because someone takes offence is not warrant enough to close a thread. The standard is the MAJORITY rule, whether or not the MAJORITY is likely to be offendeed.

Um...not necessarily. Just because the majority is not offended by something means nothing. Let's say...for arguments sake, the majority here were white supremacists. So bashing other races was okay because the majority felt it was okay. This of course, would not fly. I agree there is a logical majority rule here...and those with really thin skin will likely be ticked with something at all times, but it is not majority rules...but rather common sense rules

Quote:

As the focus of this forum is on headphones, anything outside this realm is open to interpretation. If you have a beef, appeal to Ceasar. Just be ready to accept his death edict.

This I agree with. There are forums online for just about every subject. This is an audio forum, headphones speficifically. I think it is wonderful to have the Members Lounge and the Take it Outside forums which really do permit a wide variety of topics to be discussed but sometimes...threads need to be closed, things go too far and well...people simply don't think before they post.

Anyway, I hate closing threads, I try hard not to overuse the modding powers but again...sometimes...it just has to be done.

Jul 7, 2003 at 1:58 PM Post #21 of 25
I've only ever closed one thread and only after issueing a warning that it would be closed if it veered in the direction I thought it would and did.I don't see these forums as a place for people to spew garbage or brag about crimes they have commited.Other than that I tend to edit threads rather than close them.Most of the time my edits and closures are pretty much self-explanatory.

Jul 7, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #22 of 25
IU closed two threads total

one was by mutual agreement and the other was nothing more than an all out flame war that had no merit

and yes i posted why it was closed

some that I maybe would have closed i instead issued a warning or sent a PM to tone down

but the threads that were closed causing the present ruckus were only closed after one of the moderators who will remain nameless received many PMs complaining about some of the posts in the two threads.

even when most think it is OK to say or do a thing we must always try to be mindful f the feeelings of others that may not see things the same way

if 99% of headfiers were white does that mean black jokes are OK ?

if we are mostly heterosexuals does that mean gay bashing would be allowed ?

how about sexist postings or handicapped jokes ?

while these are extreme examples you can see how things can stray and there will always be those trying at every turn to push the very edges of the rules if not outright shatter threm

all in all it is my belief that the moderation here is very light handed and and a lot is let go that is in blatant violation of the rules and if it is harmless or no one complains it will die off on its own

but again-the crowd here is diverse in sexual orientation,gender,age,country of origin and religious beliefs or lack of

we must try to accomodate everyone

even me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
all in all it is my belief that the moderation here is very light handed and and a lot is let go that is in blatant violation of the rules and if it is harmless or no one complains it will die off on its own

I must agree with this. You moderators here are much easier on the threads than those in other forums I visit.

Quote:

but again-the crowd here is diverse in sexual orientation,gender,age,country of origin and religious beliefs or lack of

These are the attributes that make this forum great.
I live in a small town and have very little experience with such a diverse crowd. I like it here because I get to meet all these people who are so different than those where I live. Even if it is only through their words typed anonymously.

Back to the topic at hand.
Sometimes it is obvious why a thread is closed and sometimes not. Like you said, we all think differently and not every thing is obvious to everybody. It would be nice if the moderator closing the thread would make a note as to why.

Jul 8, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #24 of 25
I'm pretty indifferent on the subject. If there is an explanation I'd probably read it. If not, no lost sleep over it. If it was a thread I started I'd imagine a moderator would pm me.

cool.gif

Jul 8, 2003 at 6:25 AM Post #25 of 25
I look at it this way...

I'm essentually a guest in someone's house. We all have the same interest in headphones & music. This house belongs to someone. If we behave or offend I figure you should be prepared to face the consequences. You're lucky if they do explain why... but it's their house, their rules. I don't ever expect an explanation. If you get one then great. If not I can't cry about it 'cause it's not my house!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back