Explaining Closed Threads
Jul 6, 2003 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
I think it would be extremely helpful if, before moderators closed threads, they posted a final message explaining why they did so. Just a sentence or two would be enough. It shouldn't matter how inane the thread is -- it's a matter of courtesy. Any chance this could be made standard?

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 25
Closed threads...

There isn't too many of them, and normally they only end up closed after being a breach of the TOS (terms of service), generally offensive... or else after other members have actively complained (hit the 'report this post to a moderator' button)

Most of the time i'd have thought that things would be self evident... but if that really isn't the case then I for one will go the extra nine yards to make it plain why something has been closed

Thanks

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 25
I've seen many threads where a moderator made the last post and made a brief description of why they closed the thread so some are doing it. It'd probably prevent a thread being made about the closing of another thread.

Jul 6, 2003 at 8:15 PM Post #6 of 25
What is evident to the moderator closing a thread may not be so readily apparent to the people posting. Also there are varying degrees of proficiency with English as we have members from around the world. A sentence or two is not that difficult especially when it is a rare occurrence.

Jul 6, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I think we also have to remember that this is a private forum, and that the owner(jude) has a free hand on what goes and doesn't.

Is a sentence or two that hard when usually a whole thread gets started on it afterward and the mods explain themselves anyway? It's not required of course but it's a courtesy.

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I think we also have to remember that this is a private forum, and that the owner(jude) has a free hand on what goes and doesn't.

This is true and is important to remember. On the other hand, Jude is trying to maintain an active, vibrant community and thus there needs to be some interaction and, informal, collective consensus on policies etc.

In this case though, I think it should be moderators choice... Sometimes it is the best way to stop recriminations and the such from spilling over into the rest of the forums. Besides that, the mods here are the most understanding, moderate, and responsible ones that I have ever seen.

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Is a sentence or two that hard when usually a whole thread gets started on it afterward and the mods explain themselves anyway? It's not required of course but it's a courtesy.

What's the difference? This thread is ample proof that someone will likely take issue with something somehow no matter what. If you feel that strongly about it, why don't you write up a new policy and send the proposition off to Jude? Maybe he'll agree?

I feel that this is the most successful audio sites on the www (and certainly the most cool), and given the amount of traffic, the mods are doing a great job. As a guest here, I need to remind myself about that.

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 25
This thread has been closed due to a spelling error.

biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
This thread has been closed due to a spelling error.

biggrin.gif

*cough*loser!*cough*
-Mag

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
*cough*loser!*cough*
-Mag

What exactly is your beef, man?

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
What exactly is your beef, man?

Mag has no beef, just cows.

Ohh look, I'm as funny as MusicLover is!

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:43 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by Rizumu
Mag has no beef, just cows.

Ohh look, I'm as funny as MusicLover is!

So I see you and Magus are against me. Wonder why? Who else here hates me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back