Explain to me the importance of a quality power cable (if any)
Oct 4, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #271 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
Do you people have lives or do you just argue with mental patients over the internet all day?

kinda..keeps ya mentally fit.
basshead.gif
eggosmile.gif

Oct 4, 2006 at 11:42 PM Post #272 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Patrick, the earth is now known to be not-flat through the excercise of reason, deductive and inductive logic, and scientific examination, the same practices which defy the concept of a power cable to influence the audio signal over any other power cable. Solipsistic skepticism is what you're practicing, and it's an odd combination, but if you have the money and it works for you I will not criticise your decisions directly... The folks who thought the earth was flat had more in common with the edit: more radical, not all subjectivist position in audio than that of objectivists
smily_headphones1.gif

However, as a humanitarian, I feel I have to make a request of you. Please, I beg of you, don't use the same reasoning you're using for audio to try to find out if things under the sink are drinkable! Trust the scientists on this one, no matter how skeptical of their claims of toxicity you may be!

Science doen't know everything. Somethimes scientists are doing things the waythey do cuase they don't know what they are doing...
wink.gif
blink.gif

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #274 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Patrick, the earth is now known to be not-flat through the excercise of reason, deductive and inductive logic, and scientific examination, the same practices which defy the concept of a power cable to influence the audio signal over any other power cable.

How can anyone be sure that the logic is true now if they thought it was true before and it wasn't?
It's like saying that science didn't know everything yesterday but today science knows everything. Don't you think that's a narrow minded way of thought?

Oct 5, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #275 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline
You said yourself that they tweaked speakers who had a flat responce so they sounded a bit more appealing.

Go back and read it again. You misunderstood what I was saying. And while you're at it, see if you can figure out what "flat response" really means. When you've done that, then we can continue.

See ya
Steve

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:19 AM Post #276 of 329
If you guys think that science has everything figured out and everything that doesn't fit fully with mainstream thought is wrong, you're totally wrong. I remind you that science is to explain things that we observe, not the other way around.

How many people do you think are out there doing real research about how expensive cables that some of these companies make affect the sound of expensive audio drivers?

I don't even get what a lot of you are trying to argue. Until you've tried the cables that Patrick has tried with similar equipment, you're in no position to confirm nor deny what he's saying. The only reason most people buy things like headphone amps is because there are enough people saying that they make a difference. There's very few people that have tried very expensive power cords (and there's a good reason for that too), so now it's easy to just blindly say you don't believe it.

I'm not saying I believe it or not either, but you can't strongly deny what he's saying.

Oct 5, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #277 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
How can anyone be sure that the logic is true now if they thought it was true before and it wasn't?
It's like saying that science didn't know everything yesterday but today science knows everything. Don't you think that's a narrow minded way of thought?

Boy, Patrick, that's a really easy position to argue against, and it helps keep crows out of the fields (in other words, huge strawman fallacy).

Science, abstractly, is inherently progressive, but we're not even talking about science with a big S, just the particular science of audio signal transmission over wires (and in this specific case, how the wire used to connect your device to your wall and its trail of lowest bid miles and miles of wire could improve sound quality a few steps removed from that), a field in which there are few if any large, hanging questions.

If power cords can improve the sensitivity and clarity of a signal, then why aren't $2000+ power cords used in delivering current to devices which rely on vastly more precision than audio? Audio relies on frequencies from ~20 to ~20,000 hertz, though some claim that supersonics (frequencies up to around 70-80khz, in usual parlance) can enhance the experience - whichever your view, there are signals which are transmitted with orders of magnitude more sensitivity and run without detectable error from perfectly normal power cables. The unfounded claims of manufacturers and the, uh, "creative" hypotheses of buyers don't answer this, which is strange considering it challenges the legitimacy of those claims and in so doing ought to be easy to answer if the claims are legit.

Edit: I want to clarify that I am not against the possiblity, I am just inherently skeptical of radical claims without a demonstrated basis. If it could be demonstrated objectively, why is it not? That would sell more product than any claims.

Oct 5, 2006 at 4:59 AM Post #278 of 329
Oct 5, 2006 at 10:54 AM Post #280 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Here is my advice... Don't waste time and money on cables. Spend your money on great speakers, a good amp and an average CD player. Take the money you save and buy lots and lots of great music. I'm always happy to provide recommendations to anyone interested in the areas of music I've explored. A lot of serious collectors took the time to share their knowledge with me, and I'm happy to pass the favor along.

QFT. IMO.

Oct 5, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #281 of 329
Quote:

and perhaps of greatest significance, the time it took to switch cords was longer than the generally accepted 5 second length of human auditory memory. This reduced what Manny terms “the differential sharpness of perception” of participants.

That's probably why people hear easier differences in their own home envirement when they are releaxed, sitting in the sweet spot and have more time to evaluate things.

I agree with patrick that better cables portray complex music with way more ease and detail.

Also, they are very positive about the Nordost valhalla.
600smile.gif
(wich doesn't surpise me).
wink.gif
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #283 of 329
In case it isn't clear to anyone yet, religious and political discussion is not allowed anywhere on Head-Fi, not just in the Members' Lounge. This forum is for cables, right? Bringing religion or politics into it just gets people upset and is offensive to some... so let's just try to keep the discussion on topic, okay?

Dec 9, 2006 at 6:34 PM Post #284 of 329
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Formula 1 driver driving 100 mph in city street is safer than old woman driving 20 mph.

I have to quote this one myself.

Jan 27, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #285 of 329
I think for the OP, the best way is still to try for yourself, especially for sensitive topics like this. Equipments at different levels benefits differently from power cables in my experience. People with different hearing/experience/knowledge/opinion argue differently as well. IMHO, it's not nice to either tell others what to do or make strong and definite argument on topics like this. Trying to stop or discouraging someone from trying things is as irresponsible as persuading him/her to do so. I personally don't like people who keep talking about physics here. If someone really care about science you should understand that the most subjective way to share your comment is by sharing your own experience, not your belief. Why so sure about how physics would behave before you understand ALL of them? Basing on the fact that "only knowledge known to you is correct" is not itself a correct way of thinking. In fact this should also be true even if you already know ALL the physics known to human. Before electricity was invented, none of your gears could be explained by physics. 

Just realised the last post was made on 2006........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back