Explain to me the importance of a quality power cable (if any)
Feb 15, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #317 of 329
Hey, I have to copy your previous question for reference here:

Seriously. Let me repeat the question. Do you assert, having not listened, that painting the front of your volume knob brown will have no effect on sound; or do you assert that you believe it is possible that painting your volume knob brown will change the sound?

And my answer, plus a question, in my previous reply: 

I don't assert that painting the front of my volume knob will have no effect on sound. Do you? 

Seriously, do you assert that painting the front of MY volume knob will have no effect on sound coming out of MY speakers? Without even knowing what my amp is made of? 

I didn't avoid your question. It's just you keep changing it to suit your flavour. Why answer it once more? You are gonna change it again after that I guess.  

I have made my point. And you haven't proved them wrong. I absolutely don't see any need to get any further into either debate/philosophy/legal/scientific prospective. Neither do I see any need to get someone to my place to test our hearing. As I said, I was not trying to proof anything. I don't understand why anyone would want to prove a power cable does/doesn't make a difference in a forum. Go carry it out properly and get it published or whatsoever, might proof yourself a lot more efficiently than simply trying to dig mistakes out from a stranger's post, especially a stranger who doesn't understand electrical very well. (I did not say you succeed BTW). You can always choose to buy them or not, why keep convincing others with your own belief? 

to your last post: 
It's very easy to establish if it makes an audible difference: ABX tests do so quite well.
Agreed. So, don't use basic science. 

Quote: "Of course you did: you asserted (though in passive-aggressive language) that one cannot "sure about how physics would behave before you understand ALL of them""
Do you agree with this? or do you assert "one can be sure about how physics would behave before he understand ALL of them"? 

I would rather stop here. Not gonna reply anymore. I am happy with spending my money on power cables. I am suggesting others to have a try before concluding whether they work. 

Feb 15, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #318 of 329
I think if you read carefully enough you will notice piratelord doesn't say half of the things people think he's saying. If I remember correctly, Bertrand Russell said in Impact of Science on Society, that there may come a time where the only scientific progress would be things like product r&d, and that fundamental science would not be allowed to progress. Piratelord seems to me to have the right mindset for research, but the last few pages illustrate how little we care about such things.

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #319 of 329
Quote:
Hey, I have to copy your previous question for reference here:

Seriously. Let me repeat the question. Do you assert, having not listened, that painting the front of your volume knob brown will have no effect on sound; or do you assert that you believe it is possible that painting your volume knob brown will change the sound?

And my answer, plus a question, in my previous reply: 

I don't assert that painting the front of my volume knob will have no effect on sound. Do you? 

So I asked what you *do* believe, and you told me what you *don't* assert? You did not answer the question I asked. You did not answer the clearly intended point either. I thought you did (I thought you said "yes"), but then you told me you didn't, but that you didn't say "no".

I'll change the sentence to remove the offending verb if you prefer... it's surprisingly hard to get you to answer a very simple question.
Piratelord. Is it possible that painting the front of my volume knob will change the sound coming out of my speakers? 

To give you an example of what an answer to this question might look like: I'll go ahead and answer it as though it were asked to me:
"No, it's not possible".

OK. Your turn. Answer the question you've been dodging for pages. Consider "yes" and "no".

Feb 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #320 of 329
Quote:
I think if you read carefully enough you will notice piratelord doesn't say half of the things people think he's saying. If I remember correctly, Bertrand Russell said in Impact of Science on Society, that there may come a time where the only scientific progress would be things like product r&d, and that fundamental science would not be allowed to progress. Piratelord seems to me to have the right mindset for research, but the last few pages illustrate how little we care about such things.

Haloxt: Do you believe that it is possible that painting the front of my volume knob can change the sound coming out of my speakers?

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #322 of 329
Sweet baby jeebus! Will it ever end?
I find that by taping silver crucifixes to my power cords, it wards off bad ju-ju.
And that's a fact jack!
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #323 of 329

Quote:
Under special circumstances. If we painted it red and there was a bull in the room I think something would happen to the sound yes.

yup i think the bull mite also agree red's the color. 

Feb 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #324 of 329
Under special circumstances. If we painted it red and there was a bull in the room I think something would happen to the sound yes.

It is scientifically proven that bull can't see colors... until of-course another study prove the contrary, but yes different color and aesthetic can greatly affect how we perceive the sound like for example glowing tubes.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #325 of 329

It is scientifically proven that bull can't see colors... until of-course another study prove the contrary, but yes different color and aesthetic can greatly affect how we perceive the sound like for example glowing tubes.
yes, but will the sound actually change? If you need the caviat : presume that that the color change is unknown to the listener.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #326 of 329
A test run by Hifi Wigwam where members had 4 power cords at home to test and pass on. It included 2 kettle leads, an audiophile one, a DIY one and a tester CD were sent out to the forum members. The results were inconclusive to say the least, for example;

There were 23 answers :
4 said that the kettle lead was A
6 said that it was B
8 said that it was C
5 said that they didn't know.

Of the participants 8 identified sound differences between the kettle lead and itself.

One run by Hometheatrehifi .com, was an ABX blind test with a generic and Nordost Valhalla power cord which resulted in 73 out of 149 correct identifications so 49% accuracy, the same as chance.

So using your ears alone fails to pick out 'better' power cables.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #327 of 329
Quote:
Quote:

Do you believe that it is possible that painting the front of my volume knob can change the sound coming out of my speakers?

Possible, but extremely unlikely.  Far more likely explanations to a perceived difference in sound is atmospheric differences, mental or physical differences,  placebo, etc.  Unfortunately cable believers do not really see the mountain of established evidence in the scientific community on placebo and psychosomatics.  Of course, there's always that tiny chance that painting the knob or using special cable braiding may affect the sound.  In the absence of evidence for placebo, we might even entertain such theories.  I'm not sure why the cable believers ignore the evidence and only maintain arguments based on scientific mysteries.  Uncle Erik has it right:

Quote:
That's a non sequitur. Because some part of theoretical physics isn't full understood does not mean that some guy cranking out cables in his garage has somehow unraveled the Great Mysteries of the Universe. The more likely supposition is that the guy just made something up without any backing evidence and is hoping to make a profit. If you disagree, please point us to the test results.

Feb 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #328 of 329

Quote:

Possible, but extremely unlikely.  Far more likely explanations to a perceived difference in sound is atmospheric differences, mental or physical differences,  placebo, etc.  Unfortunately cable believers do not really see the mountain of established evidence in the scientific community on placebo and psychosomatics.  Of course, there's always that tiny chance that painting the knob or using special cable braiding may affect the sound.  In the absence of evidence for placebo, we might even entertain such theories.  I'm not sure why the cable believers ignore the evidence and only maintain arguments based on scientific mysteries.  Uncle Erik has it right:

x2. But a recent thread I started on the very subject of ignoring placebo got slaughtered. Anything but deal with the issue.

I think that there is no chance that painting the knob will affect the actual sound. It could however affect the perception of the sound, especially if it accompanied by clever marketing and gets good reviews or positive threads in forums.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #329 of 329
[quote name="JerryLove" yes, but will the sound actually change? If you need the caviat : presume that that the color change is unknown to the listener.[/quote]

Of course not, that why blind-tests are the most important thing when evaluating gear but almost every-time overlooked on purpose by vendors and/or very hard to achieved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back