Explain like I'm 5 please
Apr 22, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #16 of 41
In regards to what sounds like your “audio budget”, you can get a Spadger CD990 and get at least 88% of the sound quality of what you can get from a HD6xx for $56 here:

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Spadger-Certified-Professional-Confortable/dp/B01N085T4L

Combine the CD990 with the Douk Audio DSD DAC/amp for $58, and you have a nice combo that also has a speaker-ready pre-amp.

Plus, you can use the extra ear pads that come with the CD990 and put them on your ATH-M50x, as I have put some angled ones like them on a ATH-M50x before.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #17 of 41
There are various approaches here; for your specific use case, you require a solution that can output through both headphones and desktop speakers (monitors).

Option #1, which is likely the option you're currently utilizing, is to plug the headphones directly into the 3.5mm out on your motherboard or case, and the Yamaha HS8 directly, as well, through 1/4" TRS to 3.5mm adapter. After that, you would need an output application to play the music, such as iTunes, Roon, Tidal app, etc. and you are set. The DAC is performed by the motherboard internal soundcard, the internal amp powers the cans, and the powered monitors receive output from the internal sound card and are self-amplified.

For 99% of people, the above is sufficient and will provide a listening experience that is enjoyable with limited audible differences than other types of set ups.

As you have come into more funds and have the desire to upgrade, you have two other options for your use case; these options are way more fun to put together, even if audible differences are typically quite nuanced.

2) An entirely Integrated solution (all-in-one DAC, preamp, headphone amp and speaker output); as you are familiar with Schiit brand, I would direct you to their Asgard line for 200 bucks. This provides a DAC/headphone amp in one box, as well as pre-out which could feed your Yamaha powered monitors via a RCA to TRS adapter/wire. Very simple, cheap, and can provide you with an audible upgrade.

3) Separate components (this can be completely separate DAC, preamp, head amp, etc. or it can be separated DAC and preamp/head-amp; all depends on how much fun and funds you want to have and have); sticking with Schiit, this would be getting a Modi DAC feeding a Magni head amp/preamp out to power monitors, or you can even break it out further. The source here, ultimately, is still your PC feeding the DAC via an output (USB is my preferred).

I used the cheapest Schiit components above as an example, but this can all tremendously scale. However, basic process is the same.

Hope this helps.

I am revisiting this thread as I have begun collecting components. One question for you. When ordering the Schitt Asgard, there is an option to choose a module ak4490 DAC vs true multibit...there is also an option for voltage 115 vs 230. With regards to the later, I'm in the USA so I assume I'd go with 115. What are these for and realistically what do I need to power my HD 6xx and pair of Yamaha HS8s?

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 41
I am revisiting this thread as I have begun collecting components. One question for you. When ordering the Schitt Asgard, there is an option to choose a module ak4490 DAC vs true multibit...there is also an option for voltage 115 vs 230. With regards to the later, I'm in the USA so I assume I'd go with 115. What are these for and realistically what do I need to power my HD 6xx and pair of Yamaha HS8s?

The Asgard option between AK4490 and Multibit is with respect to the DAC board, so it won't impact driving your HD 6xx or Yamahas; this is just a difference in chip that converts the digital signal to analogue signal. It is debatable whether there is an audible difference between two well-functioning DAC chips, so at this point I would just go with the AK4490. In the future, you can always progress into checking into DAC changes, but for now, no item.

115v if you're in USA/Canada.

Last thing you'll need is an RCA to TRS wire to feed the Yamahas from the Asgard pre-out

May 9, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 41
The Asgard option between AK4490 and Multibit is with respect to the DAC board, so it won't impact driving your HD 6xx or Yamahas; this is just a difference in chip that converts the digital signal to analogue signal. It is debatable whether there is an audible difference between two well-functioning DAC chips, so at this point I would just go with the AK4490. In the future, you can always progress into checking into DAC changes, but for now, no item.

115v if you're in USA/Canada.

Last thing you'll need is an RCA to TRS wire to feed the Yamahas from the Asgard pre-out

Adding the AK4490 increases the price of the asgard from 199 to 299. Leaving it with "no module" keeps it at 199$. Is it worth the extra 100$?

Otherwise yes I have the RCA to TRS adapter, speakers, headphones (HD 6xx). So I'm getting closer!

May 9, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #20 of 41
Adding the AK4490 increases the price of the asgard from 199 to 299. Leaving it with "no module" keeps it at 199$. Is it worth the extra 100$?

Otherwise yes I have the RCA to TRS adapter, speakers, headphones (HD 6xx). So I'm getting closer!

In order to have the true all-in-one integrated solution, you would need to add the DAC card. The DAC capabilities of a AK4490 is technically well-superior over most on-board motherboard DACs, too, so it's a measurable upgrade for sure (audible upgrade is always more debatable on the DAC front). You can go the separates route and save $100 bucks here on Schiit gear, as well; Schiit Modi to Schiit Magni (which is also a headphone amp with RCA pre-out). I favor the Asgard for 300 (w/ the AK4490) over the combo for simplicity and additional output power for the HD 6xx, but the Modi/Magni two-piece combo is worth exploring if you want to stick with $200 budget.

May 10, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #21 of 41

If you want a real buttons to control your computer volume, check out the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic XS:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015JESV4S/ref=psdcmw_13880161_t3_B01DP5JHHI

May 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #22 of 41
Its kind of neat to see that there are other's out there, who are operating wide setups. Most people on Headfi just listen to music off there phones, going through a dac/amp to the headphones. But I, like Tiestofan, like to have a full multi-media experience indoors, especially during these crazy times we live in. These folks on here have given you awesome advice, and I am glad they were able to help you decide on what to get, and how to set it up!

I do everything on my TV, watch TV, movies, game, and computer. So, the way I have my wide setup, is I have the digital optical audio output of my TV, going into a Fiio digital to analog DAC. Then from there the sound outputs to a Realistic 12-band equalizer box. Then it outputs to a 5.1 speaker system, incase I want to use speakers, which I never seem to do once I fell in love with headphones lol. Then through a cable plugged into the speaker system control unit, it outputs to a Fiio A5 AMP, and then my V-Moda Crossfade LP2 headphones are connected to the amp.

So why did I do my setup like that you ask? It was my genius solution, to make every source plugged into the TV, output from a single point, this way I didn't need multiple splitters to degrade the sound. Putting my EQ box inline in the single output source from the TV, allowed me to equalize all audio coming out of the TV, I like to call it a 1-stop shop option. So that way, no matter what source I was listening to, all would be adjusted equally, and I wouldn't need no switch box to switch between them, cause all I got to do is select the source with the TV remote.

Its in no way the fanciest setup that I could do, but most importantly, its a functional one that does what I need it to do. And also, I am using nothing but high quality cables to connect all these components in my setup. I am using thick Monoprice RCA cables, and even Griffin flat AUX cables, and finally, the Ivanky cable for my headphones themselves. I believe someone on here recommended Monoprice cables to you, I can agree they are quality cables and thus are a quality recommendation.

Good luck :)

May 10, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #23 of 41
I have a pair of ath-m50x headphones and no other studio/audio accessories.

I just got promoted and fell into a huge bonus. I want to use it to upgrade my audio setup.

So I want to buy some new headphones (I will research which one later) but I also want to buy ... Whatever it is that makes music better. I keep seeing magni mentioned on this forum and I'm assuming that's a receiver or amp or both. I also want to buy Yamaha hs8 speakers for my computer and I'm assuming you plug those into the magni as well? Honestly not sure.

The purpose of this post is for you to explain what is the purpose of all this equipment and which ones are essential. I see people on this forum with stacks and towers of equipment and I'm kinda curious what all that is. Thanks.

My only suggestion is do not get the HS8. It's too big for near field desktop use unless you got a lot of space. If you want something to sit on your desk right near you, 5" would be your best bet. If you got space in your desktop setup to properly place the HS8 go for it. But it really is too big for desktop use IMO. Bigger speakers are the further distance you should be from them and further apart they should be.

The other for desktop computer use, I suggest front ported monitors. Rear ported are more finicky in terms of placing speakers, distance from wall and being aware of corners. Front ported avoids those issues.

Also for powered monitors like HS8, the XLR input is better, but using say RCA to XLR is not great, so you'll need a balanced pre-amp. Or you can go RCA to 1/4" that would work fine. For powered monitors you either need pre-amp or a DAC with variable output, I suggest DAC with variable output like SMSL-Su8.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #24 of 41
I agree with ssanddigital. When it comes to speaker sizes, they are usually determined by room size and distance from them at your sitting position. Bookshelf speakers are commonly used as computer monitors. Some people cheapout and buy those awful 20-50 dollar computer speakers, don't make that mistake, it don't matter what the manufacture says, 3" speakers can't sound good, no matter what tuning you do to the sound. 5" speaker drivers is just about right at a 2 to 3 foot sitting position from the speakers.

May 10, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #26 of 41
Hi, i am also new to this and would like to learn. Do we really need DAC in addition to amp, can't i just use only amplifier for speakers and/or headphones?

Do we really need a DAC in addition to an amp?

The answer is NO.

Do we want a DAC in addition to an amp?

The answer is YES.

If the source is a computer, phone, tablet, they classically have poor DAC's inside that do not produce quality sound, unless you buy top of the line models that do. This is why audiophiles use DAC's, they plug into the USB port on either the computer, phone, or tablet, and digitally convert the signal to analog through the 3.5mm connection. The AMP 's are used to amplify the signal so that it is loud enough for the headphones/speakers being used, and to prevent distortion at high volume levels.

So, if your budget does not allow the extra purchase of a DAC, you can get away with just an AMP. But if your budget allows for quality sound as well as amplification, get a DAC. Some units sold have a DAC and an AMP built into them, like the Fiio E17 for example.

May 12, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #27 of 41
My only suggestion is do not get the HS8. It's too big for near field desktop use unless you got a lot of space. If you want something to sit on your desk right near you, 5" would be your best bet. If you got space in your desktop setup to properly place the HS8 go for it. But it really is too big for desktop use IMO. Bigger speakers are the further distance you should be from them and further apart they should be.

The other for desktop computer use, I suggest front ported monitors. Rear ported are more finicky in terms of placing speakers, distance from wall and being aware of corners. Front ported avoids those issues.

Also for powered monitors like HS8, the XLR input is better, but using say RCA to XLR is not great, so you'll need a balanced pre-amp. Or you can go RCA to 1/4" that would work fine. For powered monitors you either need pre-amp or a DAC with variable output, I suggest DAC with variable output like SMSL-Su8.

Hmm thats interesting.

My Desk IS wide. Its about 75 inches wide. So, if not the HS8s what are other high quality studio monitors for a computer setup that are "audiophile approved"?

May 13, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 41
Edifier S2000pro Bookshelf Speakers are audiophile quality. They produce all frequency ranges, including low end bass down to 55HZ. They have both XLR and RCA inputs for wired based connections, as well as bluetooth functionality if you want to use them with your phone. They are also self-amplified, which means you don't need to worry about needing speaker amps or receivers to power them, which is a major plus, if using these as computer speakers. They have 5.5" drivers, and will be able to push 120DB easily, they also come with a remote control for ease of convenience. They will cost you roughly 400 dollars on Amazon right now.

May 14, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #29 of 41
Edifier S2000pro Bookshelf Speakers are audiophile quality. They produce all frequency ranges, including low end bass down to 55HZ. They have both XLR and RCA inputs for wired based connections, as well as bluetooth functionality if you want to use them with your phone. They are also self-amplified, which means you don't need to worry about needing speaker amps or receivers to power them, which is a major plus, if using these as computer speakers. They have 5.5" drivers, and will be able to push 120DB easily, they also come with a remote control for ease of convenience. They will cost you roughly 400 dollars on Amazon right now.

Excellent thanks.

May 15, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #30 of 41

Topping DX7 will do balanced output to both Edifier S2000pro and HD6XX:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-Balanced-Headphone-Amplifier-2ES9038Q2M/dp/B07B4VFS21

Users who are viewing this thread

Back