Explain like I'm 5 please
Jul 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #31 of 41
Edifier S2000pro Bookshelf Speakers are audiophile quality. They produce all frequency ranges, including low end bass down to 55HZ. They have both XLR and RCA inputs for wired based connections, as well as bluetooth functionality if you want to use them with your phone. They are also self-amplified, which means you don't need to worry about needing speaker amps or receivers to power them, which is a major plus, if using these as computer speakers. They have 5.5" drivers, and will be able to push 120DB easily, they also come with a remote control for ease of convenience. They will cost you roughly 400 dollars on Amazon right now.

So...revisting the thread again

Got the HD 6xx
Got the Schiit Magni
Got the Schiit Modi

The setup is like a dream come true. The sound quality is amazing. Its been afew weeks now and I pretty much stopped using my old desktop speakers.

I would now like to add the studio monitors but I decided that the quality is really not important to me. I don't care as much about how "audiophile" they are and I care more so about style AND lack of wires. I have a 98 inch desk and I want to place nice, cheap serviceable speakers that are easy to connect without a bajillion wires. Budget is <100$. What can be done? How are the edifier 1280Ts-they seem to fit my needs. If I get these, can I RCA out from my Magni into the speakers and achieve better sound?

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R128...ords=bookshelf+speakers&qid=1594580739&sr=8-5

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #33 of 41
The Edifier 1280T's are not studio monitors, nor are they considered audiophile quality sound. However, having said that, they are good quality speakers, and they do sound good for their small size. They will offer plenty of sound at a desk setup, thats for sure. They have smaller drivers then the studio monitor speakers, so don't expect them to push ear splitting 120 decibels. The sound that the 1280T's produce are more bass pronounced, with reductions in the highs.

They will actually impress you at what they can do at bass levels, but they will probably disappoint you in the highs. Yes they have bass and treble controls on them, but I found that they only made slight differences to the sound, they are digital controls, not analog pots. Even turning up the treble all the way up on the speakers, I found that they did not produce the proper highs that I expect. The 1280T's are pretty much, bass and mid-range speakers.

If you were to up your budget by 50 dollars, you could get the Edifier 1700T's. The reason I mention them, is because they produce a lot higher quality sound for the price, over that of the 1280T's. The 1700T's have a more natural sound in the highs, therefor they are not recessed. Also, the 1700T's produce better mid-range response. And while the low end bass is not as pronounced on the 1700T's, they also have bass and treble controls onboard, which you can adjust the bass higher if you wish. IMHO, you should go with the 1700T's.

Jul 12, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #34 of 41
The Edifier 1280T's are not studio monitors, nor are they considered audiophile quality sound. However, having said that, they are good quality speakers, and they do sound good for their small size. They will offer plenty of sound at a desk setup, thats for sure. They have smaller drivers then the studio monitor speakers, so don't expect them to push ear splitting 120 decibels. The sound that the 1280T's produce are more bass pronounced, with reductions in the highs.

They will actually impress you at what they can do at bass levels, but they will probably disappoint you in the highs. Yes they have bass and treble controls on them, but I found that they only made slight differences to the sound, they are digital controls, not analog pots. Even turning up the treble all the way up on the speakers, I found that they did not produce the proper highs that I expect. The 1280T's are pretty much, bass and mid-range speakers.

If you were to up your budget by 50 dollars, you could get the Edifier 1700T's. The reason I mention them, is because they produce a lot higher quality sound for the price, over that of the 1280T's. The 1700T's have a more natural sound in the highs, therefor they are not recessed. Also, the 1700T's produce better mid-range response. And while the low end bass is not as pronounced on the 1700T's, they also have bass and treble controls onboard, which you can adjust the bass higher if you wish. IMHO, you should go with the 1700T's.

I can't find that model (on Amazon). I did find the edifier 1280db for 130 though. How does that compare?

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 41
I can't find that model (on Amazon). I did find the edifier 1280db for 130 though. How does that compare?

Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers

EDIT: Every Amazon link that I post on here gets redirected, I am pretty sure that Head-Fi is doing it, and I don't understand why, very shady BS going on. Just go to Amazon search box and type in "Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers."

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #36 of 41
Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers

EDIT: Every Amazon link that I post on here gets redirected, I am pretty sure that Head-Fi is doing it, and I don't understand why, very shady BS going on. Just go to Amazon search box and type in "Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers."

Perfect, found and ordered.

So...
Audio out via optical cable form pc to my MODI then rca to MAGNI now I can RCA out from magni into the Edifiers correct?

Does running thr sound from my pc through the schiit stack do anything positive for the edifier 1700BT?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #37 of 41
Perfect, found and ordered.

So...
Audio out via optical cable form pc to my MODI then rca to MAGNI now I can RCA out from magni into the Edifiers correct?

Does running thr sound from my pc through the schiit stack do anything positive for the edifier 1700BT?

You made a great choice with the 1700BT, I think you will love them! :)

In regards to connections. Yes, if you have an optical out port on the back of your computer, you can use that to connect your computer to the DAC. However, if you don't, you can connect your DAC to a USB port on your computer. You might have to change some settings in your computer's audio configuration, to tell your computer to output sound through the digital optical port, or the USB port connection, depending on which you choose.

Then yes, you then connect the output of your DAC, to the input of your amp using RCA. Most DAC's come with a pre-amp built in for volume control. So make sure that your DAC is set to 0-DB flat. This way you let your amp do all the work, that way you prevent distortion.

The Edifier 1700BT is a self amplified speaker system, it shouldn't require anything beyond your typical pre-amp that is in your computer. I would set your computer's volume to 100%, this way you control the volume with the amp, when using your headphones, or the volume on the speaker system, when you use the speakers. I hope I was clear enough so as not to be confusing.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #38 of 41
You made a great choice with the 1700BT, I think you will love them! :)

In regards to connections. Yes, if you have an optical out port on the back of your computer, you can use that to connect your computer to the DAC. However, if you don't, you can connect your DAC to a USB port on your computer. You might have to change some settings in your computer's audio configuration, to tell your computer to output sound through the digital optical port, or the USB port connection, depending on which you choose.

Then yes, you then connect the output of your DAC, to the input of your amp using RCA. Most DAC's come with a pre-amp built in for volume control. So make sure that your DAC is set to 0-DB flat. This way you let your amp do all the work, that way you prevent distortion.

The Edifier 1700BT is a self amplified speaker system, it shouldn't require anything beyond your typical pre-amp that is in your computer. I would set your computer's volume to 100%, this way you control the volume with the amp, when using your headphones, or the volume on the speaker system, when you use the speakers. I hope I was clear enough so as not to be confusing.

Thanks I'm excited! I'm still loving the HD6xx with my Magni/modi it's awesome!

You kinda lost me with the connections. Currently it's like this PC to DAC (modi) via Optical cable. DAC (modi) to amp (Magni) via RCA. Finally amp (Magni) to my ears via the HD 6xx headphones plugged into the Magni.

With these speakers I was thinking to connect amp (Magni) to speakers via RCA. However you are saying the speakers already have an amp built in.....so...what shall I do. My DAC only has one set up RCA outputs (which are currently being used to send signal to the amp).

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #39 of 41
What I meant was, the speakers are self amplified, as they have their own amp built in yes, this is true. I didn't necessarily say you couldn't use your amp with them. Actually, you could use your amp as a signal regulator. You can use the volume on your amp, to regulate voltage going into the speakers, so as to make sure the speakers get enough power to them, but not too much so as to create distortion.

And then you can use the volume knob on the speakers, to set your desired listening level that you feel comfortable with. As the speakers are self amplified, it means you have to plug the power for them into the wall. Then you can just connect those RCA cables to the speakers via the RIGHT side speaker, the one with the controls on it.

You have an interesting setup, I can't wait to see the pictures when its all done and looking good on your desk. :) Also, I'm glad you are excited, your getting me excited as well lol.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #40 of 41
What I meant was, the speakers are self amplified, as they have their own amp built in yes, this is true. I didn't necessarily say you couldn't use your amp with them. Actually, you could use your amp as a signal regulator. You can use the volume on your amp, to regulate voltage going into the speakers, so as to make sure the speakers get enough power to them, but not too much so as to create distortion.

And then you can use the volume knob on the speakers, to set your desired listening level that you feel comfortable with. As the speakers are self amplified, it means you have to plug the power for them into the wall. Then you can just connect those RCA cables to the speakers via the RIGHT side speaker, the one with the controls on it.

You have an interesting setup, I can't wait to see the pictures when its all done and looking good on your desk. :) Also, I'm glad you are excited, your getting me excited as well lol.

Perfect, I understand now. Thank you so much that was extremely helpful.

And yes, everything is coming together quite nicely. As you can see I'm using this thread to draw upon you and others' vast amount of knowledge and experience. The setup is going to look very sleek. It is almost ready. I have just one more trip to ikea to get a few of the little things..fake plants, some lighting stuff, etc. Once its all done I will come back and share detailed photos of the whole setup!. Probably late next week!

Oct 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #41 of 41

Updated with photos and reviews in this thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-new-setup-update-my-final-thoughts-and-reviews.944904/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back