Experiences with big spiders
Mar 29, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #61 of 182
black_widow_004.jpg

SanJacintoAdultBlackWidow.jpg

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #62 of 182
a spider would make an interesting pet. my iguana probably wouldn't have a problem with it. he's pretty mellow.

does anyone know if you can keep cuttlefish as pets?

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #63 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sun spiders, not real spiders but lots of fun and they have the strongest jaws in the insect kingdome. Not poisonous but can hurt like a mother as those jaws are sharp and strong. ..

We had these, aka Wind Scorpions and Camel Spiders, in Mali. Some of them were unbelievably huge (like the size of a large shoe) and some incredibly tiny (but fast!). Terrifying to come across at night but not as bad as the darned scorpions.

--Chris

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #64 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, this one is actually pretty damn cute! I've seen these at pet stores. They sell for around 60-120 bucks in Hong Kong.

But God Almighty do I not want to find out what the one behind the clock looks like... I think I'll check my email notifications and see whether there are any attached pictures before I peer into this thread again
wink.gif

You better be more careful next time you play your violin...I think I see a spider leg sticking out of the f-hole in your violin (in your avatar)>
icon10.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #65 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i feel sorry for all of you arachnophobics; or, as they call them in my house, "little sissy crybabies".
evil_smiley.gif
spiders are nasty and dangerous but SOMEONE'S gotta bust out the ol' dirty sneaker when your wife, daughter or sister is in distress.

I agree completely, which is why I would shout, "Wife, sister, or daughter: Please grab a sneaker and squash the GIGANTIC spider before it devours us all!."

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #66 of 182
Well thank you very much. I'll double check. I'm fairly safe from them while listening to my headphones because they run at 580V. They know better than to mess with my Stax and soon to come Sennheisers.

The Monkey, do you know any girls you can hook me up with who like headphones but doesn't fear spiders?

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:32 AM Post #67 of 182
i'm hoping to get some good widelife and insect shots this season, its hard though they move too much, 10D autofocus leaves something to be desired
ill be sure to post the gross ones for Head-fis enjoyment.
smily_headphones1.gif

187_8727.jpg

Mar 29, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #69 of 182
I live in vancouver canada so there aren't to many large spiders. There was one summer that at the store I work at we had a couple pet spiders for a while. I work at a store that sells corelle (dishes) and we have a lot of open stock, so often bugs and spiders will fall in the bowls and not be able to get out. One time we found a very large spider to us(probably only about 5cm leg span) and decided to keep him. So we found a useless visions bowl and put him in it. We feed him by finding silver fish that had been trapped in bowls. We ended up naming him samuel because he was a bad mother ****er. After a couple weeks we found another spider of the same size, called him jackson, and threw him in. The next morning we had only one spider. Eventually we couldn't find anymore silverfish to feed him so I threw him outside.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #70 of 182
In Australia we have another spider called a whitetail spider. The whitetail can give a very nasty bite with a similar result to what the recluse spider does, i.e. ulcerated wounds, dead, dying flesh etc etc. There has been studies done in Australia as to what causes the ulceration etc. Is it the venom from the spider or some other cause?

The whitetail is not a particularly poisonous spider, but it has been found that when it bites it quite often transfers bacteria from the surface of its fangs into the bite. There is a strong case for the bacteria causing the very ugly injuries, not venom. The spider picks up the bacteria from its natural habitat, the garden or bush or whatever.

This bacterial infection is the general reason, I believe, that doctors will prescribe antibiotics for some types of spider bites. It appears to me that the whitetail and recluse spider have a similar impact. This is just an observation, which maybe be totally wrong, but there are some striking similarities.

Mar 29, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #71 of 182
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a spider would make an interesting pet. my iguana probably wouldn't have a problem with it. he's pretty mellow.

does anyone know if you can keep cuttlefish as pets?

Maybe if you have a big enough tank. I found one under a reef ledge while snorkeling once, seemed pretty chilled out.

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #74 of 182
i'm hella afraid of spiders, but i couldn't stop looking/staring at the pictures.

i'm so glad the biggest (natural) spider i've ever seen was only about 3cm wide

Mar 29, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #75 of 182
The last place I lived at had black widows all over. I used to find them inside, in the closet and corners. The outside was ridiculous, literally close to 20 when I first moved in. Luckly I'd go on 'rampages' at night with a flashlight and a stick. I swear people probably thought I was killing an animal as I yelled killed them. You kind of had to yell as you smashed this fat jet black thing with a big red hour glass. I kicked @$$ one night and killed a good 10 of them before I went in for a beer. I think I kind of got a population control going on, since I never found more than 1 or 2 after that. Bastards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back