Experienced opinions graciously requested
Apr 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EyeDoc

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!  First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to read this post of mine, even if you end up not contributing.
I am having a difficult time picking out my next set of headphones, so I would like your help.  I must have spent upwards of thirty hours reading people’s opinions and reviews on head-fi, but I am still without the right headphones for me.  As a side note, I would really appreciate only those individuals with a good amount of experience with headphones to offer their advice.
So let’s start off with some background.  This is what I currently own and my succinct impression of them:
-Shure SCL4 (3 years): Definitely my most accurate phones but lacking in lows even with tight fit.  Also, highs seem a bit harsh.
-Sennheiser HD555 w/ 595 foam mod (5 years): These sound pretty good to me but aren’t anything special.  Also lacking in lows.
-NuForce NE-6 (2 years): Among the best $40 I ever spent. Great sounding with exceptional bass.  My daily portable earphones… which says a lot since I have the Shures.
Plus, Fiio E5 and soon Fred_Fred’s TI-based amp.
This is what I have previously owned in the past five years:
-Audio Technica ATH-M50: I had these before they became wildly popular. I was not overly impressed as I don’t think they fit my musical tastes perfectly (more on those later).
-Sony MDR-V6: Very fatiguing sound even after burn-in. The highs were out of control.
-Beyerdynamic DJX-1: HORRIBLE build quality. Frame snapped even though I am super careful with all my equipment. Also, right driver buzzed at low frequencies.
-Ultrasone Pro550: I am actually listening to these as I type this, but they are about to be returned. Everything seems okay but soundstage is awkward-sounding to me. Also, they do not “wow” me.
So speaking of that, let me outline what I need help choosing. I was originally set on buying a pair of closed, full-size phones (since I don’t have any) but since I really don’t have any specific need for them, I am looking for any type of headphone (closed or open, circumaural preferred but not necessary) that will make me smile.  Like what I would assume about many of you, good music makes me happy.  So I want a pair of headphones that will “wow” me… that will make me smile with delight. I would like them to cost $175 or less but I am willing to spend up to $250 if those extra $75 will blow me out of the water versus a pair of lesser costing phones.
Almost all my music is VBR, 320kbps, or FLAC and will exclusively be listened to through my old Thinkpad and my 2nd gen iPod Touch.  The musical tastes these headphones must satisfy (in order of importance), along with genre favorites.
            -Electronica: Daft Punk, BT, Deadmau5, various trance DJ’s
            -Classical: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Mozart, Yo-Yo Ma
            -Hip-Hop: Lupe Fiasco
            - Everything else, from most in order of decreasing frequency: Jazz, Pop, Rock
If you need any more info, just let me know.  Again, I honestly appreciate you helping me out. I was about to order the Denon AH-D1100 or older AH-D1001K, but I decided to get some experienced opinions first.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 9
For your music preferences I would definitely suggest trying out the Denons. I love their sound. D7000 will probably be my last closed headphone (outside of portables) that I ever own.

I listen to mainly EDM (been getting back into BT lately), and I'm wow'ed every time I put them on. I haven't personally tried the 1100, but they may be what you're looking for.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for the quick reply Toaster. Wouldn't you think that the step down from your D7000 to a D1100/D1001 would be significant? I honestly don't want to have to return another pair of phones. haha. Also, I read something about the closed denons not being that great for classical music.

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for the quick reply Toaster. Wouldn't you think that the step down from your D7000 to a D1100/D1001 would be significant? I honestly don't want to have to return another pair of phones. haha. Also, I read something about the closed denons not being that great for classical music.

I would imagine it would be a big step down, but the sound signature of Denon is still there. That's mainly what I was wowed by on my D7000 right out of the box. I was underwhelmed by the fact that everything sounded a bit slammed together, but the way the sound was presented was just really fun to listen to. They tightened up and became amazing after burn in, but it's the FUN sound that keeps me coming back.

EDIT: Again, because I don't have direct experience with the 1100, take my statements with a grain of salt. I personally like the Denon sound for Classical, but closed cans will always sound limited compared to an open one.

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:
For your music preferences I would definitely suggest trying out the Denons. I love their sound. D7000 will probably be my last closed headphone (outside of portables) that I ever own.

I listen to mainly EDM (been getting back into BT lately), and I'm wow'ed every time I put them on. I haven't personally tried the 1100, but they may be what you're looking for.

Damn dude.  (This is off-topic)  I very rarely use this emoticon so savor it: 
eek.gif

It must not have been more than 2 weeks ago that I stumbled upon one of your posts and casually noticed that you had about the same post count as me.  And you've gone up by about 500 posts since then!  
eek.gif

So now I meander over to the site stats page and you've got almost a 1,000 posts in the last 30 days.  
eek.gif

You're a specimen for sure.  Internet beast-mode.  =]  

Don't take this the wrong way, I just thought the numbers astonishing enough to deserve their own off-topic post.  

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Damn dude.  (This is off-topic)  I very rarely use this emoticon so savor it: 
eek.gif

It must not have been more than 2 weeks ago that I stumbled upon one of your posts and casually noticed that you had about the same post count as me.  And you've gone up by about 500 posts since then!  
eek.gif

So now I meander over to the site stats page and you've got almost a 1,000 posts in the last 30 days.  
eek.gif

You're a specimen for sure.  Internet beast-mode.  =]  

Don't take this the wrong way, I just thought the numbers astonishing enough to deserve their own off-topic post.  

My hours have been cut at work lately, and I've been playing video games a lot less. Head-Fi is pretty much open all the time. I just go do something, come back, refresh and respond. I've also been testing a slew of new gear, so I have more to chat about. :D

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

The way I see it, you're not going to get what you want with $175 on a closed headphone. If you want something better, then it'll cost you. I also don't see you not returning another pair of headphones. You'll probably just keep coming back like most of us until kingdom come. Cheers

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #8 of 9
If you want some low end while also listening to classical and jazz, while enjoying the Sennheisers you already have, the HD-650 is an easy choice.

No, you won't get the kind of bass volume a Denon will provide. But the HD-650 has much better balance and scales nicely with better amps. It's something you could enjoy through other upgrades, until (possibly) you upgrade to one of the top tier headphones. Actually, amped correctly, the HD-650 should still be in the top tier. It's a great headphone and was regarded as one of the finest until the recent spate of $1,000+ headphones. Pair it with something wonderful like a M^3 and you'll be most of the way towards the very best.

Apr 27, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #9 of 9
How about for <$300 then? I really need to get off this topic as soon as possible and get back to work. haha. How about some Beyer DT 770, 880, 990s? I can get a pair of DT 990 Premium (32ohm) for $250. AKG K271Mkii? Let me reiterate that they do NOT have to be closed.

Edit: Well after doing some more research, I decided to give the Denon DN-HP700 a try. If they sound anything like the D7000s like some say they do, I should be set. Should be here on Friday. Thanks again for your help everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back