Expensive RCA cables? Should they be magnetic?
Mar 17, 2021 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DarkDEV28

New Head-Fier
Heyo, this is first post so I don't know if I am doing this correct.

I recently acquired some Audio Metallurgy Gold Alloy Interconnect RCA cable, which feels premium, but I can't hear a different between my cheap Japanese RCA cable, and super thin aux cable on my JDS Labs Atom Amp. My question is that the Amp and DAC matter to hear the difference between cheap and expensive cables, and should expensive cable have a small magnetic force when near each others?

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 13
Cables don't change the sound unless there is something wrong with them. A well-built cable from reasonable materials is all you need.

Cables are normally made of copper wire with gold-plated connectors. I don't think there is anything magnetic in the materials.

Mar 17, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #4 of 13
Gimmeheadroom, thanks for reassuring me about the expensive cable not changing the sound. Though I was wondering if the magnetism has to do with the cable wiring being all plated in gold?
Gold is not magnetic. Only ferrous metals (those containing iron) are magnetic.

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 13
The AM cables design is slightly "out there" - the alloy conductors are sandwiched between long, flexible, medium-flux magnets - I guess the idea is to use air as an insulator, rather than a conventional insulator. The reason why the cables are magnetic is, therefore, because they are made of magnets! AM's own website has more on this.

As for audible difference - only you can judge! Cables 'should' make some audible difference, but not always, and it's 100% *nothing* to do with how 'high-end' your gear is :D

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #6 of 13
The AM cables design is slightly "out there" - the alloy conductors are sandwiched between long, flexible, medium-flux magnets - I guess the idea is to use air as an insulator, rather than a conventional insulator. The reason why the cables are magnetic is, therefore, because they are made of magnets! AM's own website has more on this.

As for audible difference - only you can judge! Cables 'should' make some audible difference, but not always, and it's 100% *nothing* to do with how 'high-end' your gear is% *nothing* to do with how 'high-end' your gear is
Wait the cable has magnets!?

Mar 18, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 13
Mar 18, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #9 of 13
no high end cables should be magnetic. Because they interfere with the signals integrity
Shhh! Come on! You're ruining it! :D

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #10 of 13
Shhh! Come on! You're ruining it! :D
no high end cables should be magnetic. Because they interfere with the signals integrity
I agree with Whitigir that cable shouldn't any magnetic force, also Gimmeheadroom what do you mean he ruining it?

Also the cables do have a magnetic feel to it, which concerns me, so does anyone know how to demagnetize a cable, or should these cable have a magnetic force?

Mar 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 13
I agree with Whitigir that cable shouldn't any magnetic force, also Gimmeheadroom what do you mean he ruining it?

Also the cables do have a magnetic feel to it, which concerns me, so does anyone know how to demagnetize a cable, or should these cable have a magnetic force?
I meant @Whitigir was busting up their snake oil business. :p

You can't demagnetize cables. Sell them to another snake oil afficionado or just live with it.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #13 of 13
yep - an interconnect that is actually built with magnets - Audio Metallurgy themselves don't seem to be operating any more, but here's a link to a Stereo Times review that explains how they are made - I did check that the publication date wasn't 1 April, although it was published in the April edition, so may still be a windup :D ...... http://stereotimes.com/cable042307.shtml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back