Expensive optical cables worth it?
Apr 9, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #32 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking glass optical cable is the way to go (if you have to use toslink, rather than coax).

Just thinking of a plastic window as opposed to a glass one...kind of makes sense to stick with glass. I'd rather just go coax, but my bluray player and DTV receiver are TOSLINK.

To be honest, Optical, SPDIF, AES/EBU, ADAT, TosLink, it just doesn't matter!

G

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #34 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by spanimal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you have confirmed your beliefs by carrying out extensive listening tests?

It is now my goal to find some way to convince you to leave this place.

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

you have confirmed your beliefs by carrying out extensive listening tests?

I did, and I can confirm that I heard every individual square wave and that my ears are therefore bit perfect. Obviously I couldn't do a listening test with ADAT lightpipe but I stared intently at the end of the cable and I'm certain I detected all the optical zeros and ones, therefore my eyes are bit perfect too. I keep seeing red dots in front of my eyes now, do you think I'm actually learning to visualise digital audio? This would be ideal as I wouldn't need a DAC anymore!

G

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #37 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by gregorio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did, and I can confirm that I heard every individual square wave and that my ears are therefore bit perfect. Obviously I couldn't do a listening test with ADAT lightpipe but I stared intently at the end of the cable and I'm certain I detected all the optical zeros and ones, therefore my eyes are bit perfect too. I keep seeing red dots in front of my eyes now, do you think I'm actually learning to visualise digital audio? This would be ideal as I wouldn't need a DAC anymore!

G

Sounds good enough to me. So long as you made an attempt yourseld to derive a conclusion instead of general consensus. Me I looked at this thread because I am not so sure as I have discovered coax has caused drop outs in my system and optics dont - before I start to compare the difference (time consuming pointless activity) between the two I thought perhaps many people may have already. Unless there is an overwhelming response that there is a difference - I simply will not bother to do this. Laziness on my behalf - yes.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Me I looked at this thread because I am not so sure as I have discovered coax has caused drop outs in my system and optics dont ...

Then there was something wrong with your coax cable and you need to buy one which has a basic good level of construction. Coax is used professionally all the time without problems.

G

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:10 PM Post #41 of 46
Yeah you must be correct - I have been advised that 75 ohm is must - I have been using regular stereo interconnects. Isn't standard composite video cabe 75 ohm - how about component video cable - 75 ohm as well - I wonder if they would do. OR what about the one Fallen Angel suggested.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 46
Quote:

Yeah you must be correct - I have been advised that 75 ohm is must - I have been using regular stereo interconnects. Isn't standard composite video cabe 75 ohm - how about component video cable - 75 ohm as well - I wonder if they would do. OR what about the one Fallen Angel suggested.

As I mentioned previously, providing your cable has a good basic level of construction and is correctly specified for the job (IE. 75ohm impedence for SPDIF), there will be no difference between optical, SPDIF coax or any of the other recognised digital audio standards.

I've never tried component video cable for digital audio, so I have no idea how well it would work. But why bother, get a cable designed for the job, you should be able to get a high quality digital audio cable for $20 (optical or coax).

G

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #44 of 46
It is impossible to build a 75 ohm RCA cable, but you don't really need it anyway. Any decently constructed cable shouldn't give you dropouts over any reasonable length. If you're getting them, you either have an extremely cheap cable, or a problem elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back