Expensive CDP or cheap SACD?
Jan 29, 2004 at 3:53 AM Post #91 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I agree though I think that is still some time off until digital amps can get up to speed of the analogues.

Them's fightin' words, they are!
mad.gif

Look at theaudiohobby's avatar. Thats a digital amp that will make any, I mean any, analogue amp cry uncle. I'm not even talking about its 15K+ big brother 900 pound gorrilla digital amp, just this one!

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #93 of 107
You won't always be poor!
Actually I got that amp at a factory blowout for 200 bucks. The list on that mother is $4499. Xanadu777 actually bought 3 of them at that price, some people picked up like 6. To be fair I did give a heads up of this factory sale on ebay to everyone here!

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #95 of 107
Ask Xanadu777 (Larry)! I know for a fact that he has one amp tht he is actually using as the test-site for the headphile cables and one more that he has kept as a NIB unit. He might be amenable to part with one of them. Alternatively, there is one of these babies on A-gon for $800 obo.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by Zanth
I agree though I think that is still some time off until digital amps can get up to speed of the analogues.

You must be kidding me, Sharp did that a while ago
biggrin.gif
, The only thing analogue amplifiers still have on their side is brute force.
k1000smile.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #97 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by kartik
Ask Xanadu777 (Larry)! I know for a fact that he has one amp tht he is actually using as the test-site for the headphile cables and one more that he has kept as a NIB unit.

Xanadu777 amp is spoken for by me.
tongue.gif
It is no longer on the market. Zanth you will have to look elsewhere.
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #98 of 107
Now, Why do you need TWO of these? I guess I'd like to have two too but unfortunately I have only one worthwhile source (2-CH at that).

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:15 AM Post #99 of 107
Zanth and Kartik,

I auditioned the New Pathos Classic One against two other amplifiers that were 2/3 times it price and the Pathos killed them. And the Sharp kills the Pathos. It matches the Pathos for top end and midrange openess and dumps it into gutter in bass dynamics department. I tested it yesterday or so with Red Rose Music 'Art of Fudge' organ music which has some serious deep bass and this little baby did not miss beat. My speakers the Cyrus Icons are rated at 84db and 18Hz- 22KHz read low sensitivity and wide bandwidth window. Yet this little gem was pumping out undistorted deep bass with such authority.

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #100 of 107
Quote:

Now, Why do you need TWO of these?

The SCD1 loves it. the SCD1 saw the Sharp DX-SX1 and burst into tears and started pleading with me that I should get another Sharp amplifier so that it can continue to give me reference class music.
biggrin.gif
. Seriously though, within 5 minutes of listening to this amplifier I knew that I had to get another one to power the SCD1. It is that good.
biggrin.gif

I have a feeling that after the SCD1 comes back from mods, that this combo will be uber fantastic. I am a happy man.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:49 AM Post #101 of 107
The big downside, though, is that these amps have a proprietary SACD digital input. All the other digital inputs are redbook. So SACD playback needs a good DAC.
Coming back to this thread, how would you rate the SCD-1s redbook (via the sharp amp) with a "conventional" redbook unit.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #102 of 107
Quote:

Coming back to this thread, how would you rate the SCD-1s redbook (via the sharp amp) with a "conventional" redbook unit.

Very good, Some context here is necessary, I auditioned the SCD1 against the MF Nuvista and the Meridian 588. IMHO the SCD1 killed the Nuvista, the Meridian 588 was just as good but it did have a slightly different sound, the SCD1 was a hair better in the resolution and soundstaging department though the 588 was no slouch. With a bit of tweaking of my now old system
wink.gif
, I was also been able to match the playback that I heard through the Consonance 2.2 CDP playing through SF Guarneri I auditioned extensively in Barcelona. Now introducing the Sharp amplifier into the system means that I now have a rig that sounds better than all the rigs previously mentioned.
biggrin.gif
. Of the CDP big boys the main CDPs I have not audition are the Aero Capitale and the Wadia 86X series, however once I get the SCD1 back from mods that will be the next duel.

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #103 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by theaudiohobby
Now introducing the Sharp amplifier into the system means that I now have a rig that sounds better than all the rigs previously mentioned.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for this thread hi-jacking.
Just one question.
Have you tried Bel Canto eVo?

Jan 29, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #104 of 107
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
Sorry for this thread hi-jacking.
Just one question.
Have you tried Bel Canto eVo?

No I do not have a dealer close to me that stocks it, the other digital amplifier that I have access to audition easily is the PS Audio, have you heard the PS Audio?

EDIT: gramatical correction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back