Expected too much from Grado SR60?
Dec 25, 2007 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

goober-george

1000+ Head-Fier
Finally getting the chance to step into the audiophile world I was excited to get my Grado sr60s. I've only had them since last night but I remember everyone saying they are one of the most aggressive, fun sounding cans, and great for rock. I honestly must say though from what I remember it's not that much of a great improvement from a pair of $30 sony noise cancelling headphones. I also prefer the Bose Around Ear headphones although those are $150, I expected the grados to outperform them. I guess I kind of expected my music to magically transform into something Godly. I have to admit a lot of the music I listen to are on independent labels, and almost none of them would ever play on the radio, so maybe I'm not getting the best out of the Grados. But then I did listen to some Pink Floyd, it was a little better. I also have to say that when people said "it makes you feel like your in the front row of a concert" I felt its presentation is no different then any other headphone I simply hear music from the left and right just in better detail. I feel like maybe I have to learn how to appreciate them? My In ear canal earphones seem to have a similar sound signature and the only difference seems to be that the in ear canal headphones are more sibilant and less full boded since they are in ear canals. I have no complaints of comfort though, feels really comfortable to me. I remember a lot of people complaining that Grados can be really shrill but I haven't experienced that yet. Anyways, what do you guys think, do I just need to let the sound grow on me?

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 23
Yes indeed burn it in and the sound will change for the better over time. People usually are surprised to hear them at first, for good or for bad.

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes indeed burn it in and the sound will change for the better over time. People usually are surprised to hear them at first, for good or for bad.

If you mean the technical burn-in.. I’ve heard that Grados don’t burn in that much?

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 23
Well it could be because you have been bitten by Bose signature bite. Its venomous in particular if they are the cans you went onto hear after some crappy ones. Because I was never used to the ones currently I have and the only headphone auditioned was Bose Triports. They sounded awesome. But later on as I have upgraded came to know that you could get quite a few in the same price range. But comfort wise they are unbeatable and Grados aren't that comfortable for extended listening. I am still worried about investing $500 for RS-2s without auditions.

Dec 25, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 23
Seconded on the Bowl recommendation, it raises the driver off the ear a bit more and the center is cut out. You should notice increased highs, and overall improved sound IMHO at least.

As for burn-in
I know it's greatly debated here, but I didn't like my Grado SR80's to much when I first put them on. After they burned for several days they really opened up. So before giving up on them try letting them burn in a bit...

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 23
Grados sound very different from other headphones. They're very forward-sounding. What I recommend is for you to listen to them, but pay attention to what's better about them, and focus on that until you've grown used to them.

Don't give up on Grado so early, or you could miss out on a lot of happiness.

Dec 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by aureus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean the technical burn-in.. I’ve heard that Grados don’t burn in that much?

I found they did improve with burn in... again this topic is completely subjective, but def. do not rule it out. I am a pretty big Grado fan, and I was not blown away by my first Grado (SR60) initially. Give it time...

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 23
I felt the same way when i first listened to my alessandros ms-1's. After some burn in i noticed better sound. What do u connect your headphones to? I noticed that my ms-1's sound unimpressive when i connect them to my archos pmp, but when i connect them through a receiver, they sound much better.

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 23
IMHO bose and grado headphones have a lousy soundstage . If you really want to hear a big jump in sound quality , return your sr60's and get youself some rs 1's. Or from what I read about on alot of posts, try the sr 225's they also have alot of wow facter in them.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 23
Don't give up the SR 60s. I have much more expensive HPs at this point (PL2500, HD650, MS-2, SR225s) and I still reach for the Grado SR60s. They have a sound that cannot be replicated and you don't need a bunch of expensive stuff hanging off them to truly enjoy.

Dec 25, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #15 of 23
I second the thought on Bose. I have a couple of friends who use them on airplanes and if I travel with them and they want me to listen to something, I am always amazed at how bad I think they sound. I feel the same way about the 901s (sorry to mention speakers here.) But this, like so many things, can be awfully subjective, and you might just like a different type of presentation. My thing has always been smoothness and balance, so the HD580 really works for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back