expect ps3 game prices to hit sky high.
Jul 4, 2006 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
http://www.cepro.com/news/editorial/14010.html

Quote:

Caught up in this whole mess of Blu-ray vs. HD DVD is the role of Sony's PlayStation 3 (PS3), set to launch this fall and with a Blu-ray player ... all at the low-low price of either $499 or $599, depending on your love of an HDMI port. With Blu-ray players costing significantly more than HD DVD players, and the PS3 to be more expensive than the Xbox 360, I guess we shouldn't be totally surprised that PS3 games will ... drum-roll please ... be expensive.

"Generally speaking, over the past twelve years or so, there has been a consumer expectation that disc-based games are maybe US $59 on the high end to US $39 on the low end," says Kaz Hirai, Sony Computer Entertainment America president, according to gamesindustry.biz. "If it becomes a bit higher than US $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be US $100."

Jul 4, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #2 of 10
Interestingly, PS2 titles are often around US$66-75 on release here in Australia. But we all know that if you wait a couple of months they drop rapidly in price. Just try and stick to a pattern of being a few months behind the curve when you can, and you can take advantage of better pricing, plus the knowledge that any game that old that is still considered good has lived past the initial hype at release and is truly worth checking out. (Special note to those who bought 'Driver 3' on the PS2)

cheers

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 10
Considering PS2 and Xbox games retail here new for about NZ$110, even if the prices go up somewhat in the US, it'll still be cheaper to import a PS3 game than buy a PS2 game locally.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #4 of 10
How does him saying "If it becomes a bit higher than US $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be US $100." translate to "skyhigh prices"? Higher, yes. Sky high? hardly.

Games will probably be $69 at worst, Sony isn't stupid, they won't sell a ridiculously expensive system with ridiculously expensive games.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Esidarap
How does him saying "If it becomes a bit higher than US $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be US $100." translate to "skyhigh prices"? Higher, yes. Sky high? hardly.

Games will probably be $69 at worst, Sony isn't stupid, they won't sell a ridiculously expensive system with ridiculously expensive games.

at worst $69? that's wishful thinking, analyst is saying $60-$100 dollars because of development costs. If you are paying attention to the video game world by reading IGN, Kotaku, Joystiq, Gamespot, etc, they are all saying that developers are b*tching about development costs. As a result, people are speculating that 3rd party developer are backing up nintendo more this generation because of it's low development cost.

I"m old school, so I really don't care about graphics that much, long as the games are fun.

Jul 5, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
I"m old school, so I really don't care about graphics that much, long as the games are fun.

That may be the way to go. Kriky, they're asking a-lot to own the latest and greatest. To get the 1080p (yes, I know it scales down), one has to have a killer t.v., add the $500 for the 'base' model, and one could own a very nice gaming pc.

Not to mention, I've read that Sony will have a hard time manafacturing decent quantities which might be akin to XBOX360 shortages. I can see this holiday rolling around with either the uber expensive PS3's sitting on shelves because of price, or extreme shortages because of limited stock.

Once again, Sony hubris believes that advanced tech will overome any hurdle they self impose on it.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 10
I think Sony is a little bit pompus lately; especially with the PSP and PS3. They think they can develop great hardware, and people will line up for their systems. However with the DS, nintendo proved that system specs isn't everything, you gotta get those 3rd party developer to create games for your system. So far the PSP has done (actually 1, lumines), and I think the PS3 will suffer the same faith.

P.S.
PSP fanboys don't jump all over me by saying that the PSP have no games, i own both the DS Lite and PSP, and believe me, the DS have more games worth playing.

Jul 5, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #9 of 10
Higher prices won't last if Sony loses any ground to Microsoft. And especially if the Wii has rock bottom prices compared to the two.

Either way, we, as the gamers win. There will be a price war either way. They are all fighting for our money.

-Ed

Jul 5, 2006 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 10
There's a part of me that wants a PS3 just for the sheer gadgetry of it. If it can play PS2 and PS1 games with anti-aliasing, I could be sold on it... if I have that much money lying around at that point and I don't have to wait more than 15 hours in the cold for one.

By and large though, I'm sick of Sony.

But whoa, I just found this:
Sony takes out 80 Billion Yen Loan
They're in real trouble if the PS3 doesn't hit just right. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back