Exclusive Mode
Aug 12, 2022 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cgb3

500+ Head-Fier
As a very recent convert to "exclusive mode", what does one do with music that's problematic?

My practice for many years was to have several software (Peace) EQ profiles, specifically constructed for the headphone I'm listening to.

Exclusive mode does away with (software) EQ, which is fine (and preferable) for 98% of my music, but, there's that select few...

I can't stand sibilance. Several of my favorite female vocalist/albums are unlistenable without EQ. What can I do (other than purchase hardware EQ)?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #2 of 9
Try lining 2 plies of toilet paper inside the ear cups which will act as a comb filter starting at 8.4khz (not a perfect solution since it reflects it back, not absorbs it). That should shave 2-3db down without affecting extension. If it sounds good to you, then pop the pads off and install them under the foam disks. Very cheap fix, but your ears will have to decide. Diyaudioheaven did an article "Taming the treble" which has lots of before and after measurements.

Aug 13, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #4 of 9
I run an add-on called stereotool. I like it allot. Runs on musicbee, mediamonkey, and winamp. I have purchased many of the add ons. I have created multiple profiles in it for each of my headphones. You can create a unique equalizer profile for your needs.

Aug 23, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 9
Definitely one of the reasons why I'm a huge fan of the Chord MOJO 2. The transparent DSP EQ in the unit means I can use Exclusive Mode and still EQ pretty easily on the fly when I need to.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 9
@cgb3,
There are many VAC based systems (usually VST/AU effect hosts in question so you have wide effects base available) but, in the past, I've used Voicemeeter BANANA which has build-in 8 channel parametric EQ (also (as you seem to use EqualizerAPO already) you be able to integrate Voicemeeter with EqualizerAPO as well...).

Aug 24, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 9
As a very recent convert to "exclusive mode", what does one do with music that's problematic?

My practice for many years was to have several software (Peace) EQ profiles, specifically constructed for the headphone I'm listening to.

Exclusive mode does away with (software) EQ, which is fine (and preferable) for 98% of my music, but, there's that select few...

I can't stand sibilance. Several of my favorite female vocalist/albums are unlistenable without EQ. What can I do (other than purchase hardware EQ)?
You just have to get EQ from a player. Peace being equalizer APO, it gets bypassed by asio or wasapi, but if the EQ is within the audio player it will work as what’s treated in exclusive mode is the streaming of the signal from the player to the DAC, so after the EQ was applied.

I keep using foobar2000, but for remotely passable EQ you need to add the vst component thingy and the get an EQ that’s a VST(only 32bit VST as foobar is 32bit).
I know MusicBee also has a VST plugin, and there are probably other solutions for free like maybe just a random player with integrated EQ that can satisfy you(I happen to be a little bit maniac when it comes to EQ).

If you want a system wide EQ like what you had with EQ APO but while using an exclusive mode to bypass windows’ mixer, then you will need a Virtual Audio Cable of sort like suggested by @jiiteepee or if you have a specific EQ in mind, maybe a VST host(inside which you would load a VST EQ, and again, if the VST host is 32bit, you need 32bit VST, or 64 for 64).

It might look overly complicated because I’m being extremely generic to offer you all the most options. The takeaway being that there are solutions to your problem.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 9
You just have to get EQ from a player. Peace being equalizer APO, it gets bypassed by asio or wasapi, but if the EQ is within the audio player it will work as what’s treated in exclusive mode is the streaming of the signal from the player to the DAC, so after the EQ was applied.

I keep using foobar2000, but for remotely passable EQ you need to add the vst component thingy and the get an EQ that’s a VST(only 32bit VST as foobar is 32bit).
I know MusicBee also has a VST plugin, and there are probably other solutions for free like maybe just a random player with integrated EQ that can satisfy you(I happen to be a little bit maniac when it comes to EQ).

If you want a system wide EQ like what you had with EQ APO but while using an exclusive mode to bypass windows’ mixer, then you will need a Virtual Audio Cable of sort like suggested by @jiiteepee or if you have a specific EQ in mind, maybe a VST host(inside which you would load a VST EQ, and again, if the VST host is 32bit, you need 32bit VST, or 64 for 64).

It might look overly complicated because I’m being extremely generic to offer you all the most options. The takeaway being that there are solutions to your problem.
My player is Amazon unlimited (for the most part).

I appreciate your suggestions and comments.

I'm finding that for almost every recording, I'm very happy with the artist/producers mix. There's a few (mostly female, mostly older) recordings, where sibilance is an issue. I seldom listen, or let it be sibilant. I was set on purchasing the Shiit Lokius (2nd hand). I still may, If I happen on a good deal. It's no longer a priority.

This "exclusive mode" has been a revelation to me. I've finally found that the money I've spent has produced the sound I've sought.

Thanks to the HeadFi forums in general, and member Alcophone in particular.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:20 PM Post #9 of 9

Depends. For streaming the only solutions are Audirvana and Roon. Roon even has some built-in crossfeed if you're into that. They both support exclusive mode, meaning they can do bitperfect and they let you add software EQ to the chain. They work with various streaming platforms. The only issue is, you need to pay a monthly sub to use them, so I think it'd make more sense to shell out for a hardware EQ solution.

For playing local files just use foobar in exclusive mode with software EQ (VST plugins).

Or you could also stick to headphones where sibilance isn't as severe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back