Exceptionally slow performance composing PMs
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2016 at 10:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dpastern

100+ Head-Fier
Whenever I try and reply to a PM etc, my system just grinds to a halt.  By that, I mean high CPU usage.  General browsing of the forums and composing thread replies doesn't seem to experience this issue, or at least, to the same degree as with PMs.  

This problem has been present for at least a year.  

I have upgraded OS X on on several occasions, as well as Chrome, and nothing seems to fix it.  My MBP has plenty of RAM, so it's not a memory issue.  I'm running a SSD, so it's not a hard drive issue.  It's not an Internet related issue either (30/1 cable connection).  The system simply goes into high CPU mode ONLY when I'm doing a PM reply.  There is One other site that does something similar (http://diablo.wikia.com/) and I suspect that it's the ads that are causing the issue.  All other websites do not cause this issue.  

Clearing the cache, and rebooting the MBP don't fix the issue.  

I believe it is a site design/flaw causing a run away process to initiate, thus causing high CPU usage.  

I have not tested other browsers (FireFox & Safari) to see if they exhibit the same issue or not.  Edit: I should not have to use another web browser to use this site - if the site is W3C compliant, it should work with Chrome without issue.  Next step will be to employ an ad blocking add-on for Chrome to block this site's ads and to see if that results in a market improvement in performance.  

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Dave

PS I've worked in IT for many years so I'm very savvy when it comes to computers etc.

May 24, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Do you have Flash installed? Most of the problems browsing that I've seen people encounter has been due to that.

May 26, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #3 of 4
  Do you have Flash installed? Most of the problems browsing that I've seen people encounter has been due to that.

Yeah I do.  I've disabled it in Chrome and will test further.  

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

May 26, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #4 of 4
OK - disabled Adobe flash plugin, restarted Chrome, and it seems better.  will monitor.  wasn't expecting too much of an issue with Flash.  that'll teach me to discount it lol.

Thanks again.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back