Excellent DAC for $500 before shipping?
Dec 23, 2009 at 11:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Uri Cohen

Formerly known as HyperDuel
Pretty much what the title saids. I know Audio GD had one at $480 but it is currently out of stock and it pretty much has things that I want from a DAC. I'm hoping that they will make it again in the future so I can buy it.

But at the $500 price point what DACs are excellent?

I need something that can:

* Accept Digital inputs
* Maybe Digital output but that is pretty useless ATM, but a nice feature to have.
* No upsampling if possible
* Maybe accept high-def audio sampling rates like 24/96 but honestly it is not that important.
* Maybe be good for USB but I can just use my old DAC's digital output as a source.

My budget once again is $500 before shipping. I will most likely upgrade my headphones to a RS2i and still be using the Little Dot I+ for my hybird amp.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by CherryBomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DACMagic, V-DAC, used Parasound (optical input for this one)

My reason not getting the DacMagic is that it upsamples everything, which is something that I do not want.

Does the V-DAC runs in AC power?

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 50
V-DAC upsamples as well.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 50
Not alot to choose from with no upsampling. Might check out the Teradak Chameleon when it's released. There's even fewer NOS dac's that will accept 24/96. I've been down the NOS road, and at this point im not sure it's worth the trade off's. NOS dac's typcially don't have very good jitter reduction and require a very high end transport. Moving to a more modern, oversampling design relieves the jitters.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #8 of 50
Dec 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 50
that looks really overpriced when compared to offerings from Teradak/Valab. For what it's worth, the Fathom dac on the pacific valve page is the same as the current Valab. But the Chameleon has not yet been released.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well tell me do any one of you guys think upsampling is good? Honest answer if possible.

IMO, upsampling isn't really "good" or "bad", it's different. I would say it adds a more detailed, contrasting edge to the sound, whereas non-upsampling sounds more natural and analog.

As weird as it may sound, I prefer the first for some things. (techno, electronica, etc.)

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pretty much what the title saids. I know Audio GD had one at $480 but it is currently out of stock and it pretty much has things that I want from a DAC. I'm hoping that they will make it again in the future so I can buy it.

But at the $500 price point what DACs are excellent?

I need something that can:

* Accept Digital inputs
* Maybe Digital output but that is pretty useless ATM, but a nice feature to have.
* No upsampling if possible
* Maybe accept high-def audio sampling rates like 24/96 but honestly it is not that important.
* Maybe be good for USB but I can just use my old DAC's digital output as a source.

My budget once again is $500 before shipping. I will most likely upgrade my headphones to a RS2i and still be using the Little Dot I+ for my hybird amp.

The DAC 19mk3 will be in stock in January, I talked to Kingwa.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DAC 19mk3 will be in stock in January, I talked to Kingwa.

I second the 19 MK III. You can't beat it for the price.

Peete.

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #14 of 50
Anyone have any opinions about this modded 19mk3? It is in stock now.

Pacific Valve & Electric Company Pacific Valve Audio gd DAC 19MK3

From the PV website:

Heard around the water cooler:

There were only a hand full of lucky folks who received the original DAC 19SE. This was truly a
phenomenal DAC. When it was combined with some decent tube equipment, the DAC19SE was
capable of a startling, dynamic presentation. The DAC 19SE was one of the few DACs we heard, to
marry dynamics and resolution, without being harsh, etchy or, for that matter digital.

Disappointed we were when we heard the original DAC19MKIII. Not that it was bad, but it
sounded pretty much like the DAC-200. It was warm in the midrange, laid back and unlike the
DAC 200, it actually sounded a little nasal even after months of break in.

Along came the mod “B”, and although it removed HDCD capability, the magic returned in
droves and is enthusiastically recommended. The resolution and dynamics are even more
pronounced in this mod as you just can’t stop listening to it. Spatial depth and dimensions were
pretty much on par as some of the best DACs. For those of you that are getting your DAC advice
from the main stream pubs, you really need to take a listen to these DACs.

Takes sampling frequencies up to 96K.

Ratings:
Special Features 16/20, Sound Quality 19/20, Build Quality
19/20,Value for the money 20/20, Overall 19/20

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #15 of 50
It's not modified in any way.....Joe is blowing marketing smoke. He prefers the B version which is the DF1704 filter while the A version has the widely loved PMD100 HDCD filter chip. I find it curious that Joe likes the DF1704 while most here prefer the PMD100 chip...go figure. I certainly did not get the impression from post's here WRT the PMD100 module that the unit lacked anything of the kind....oh well....different strokes for different folks.

There is nothing in this model that can't be bought directly from Kingwa.....you simply buy both modules (A &B) at the time of order.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back