Ex-70 complete seal mod
May 22, 2002 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

a1leyez0nm3

1000+ Head-Fier
alright, before I broke my ex-70s, i did a mod to them that completely sealed them, to my enjoyment, I tried to make the mod concealed by taking apart the black and silver part. thats a bad thing to do, its pretty risky. dont pull apart the main body piece of the ex70 unless you are very very very careful! well, anyway, to seal it up, I took a gluegun and glued over the ovular holes along the black part at the base of the black extension and glued the 3 holes on the silver backing. walla, they are sealed. you can actually notice the pressure difference when you put them on. the bass may be a little bit louder, but if you glue the three holes, you should be ok... but then again i only listened to them in this state for about 30 seconds, and if I buy a second replacement pair I am going to try this again. isolation will most likely be gained. I am curious to see how they would sound overall and in isolation if anyone is willing to try this.

ps: make sure that the glue COMPLETELY covers the holes, and that you can feel the pressure in your ears when you put them in.

pss: the pic i included is of mine... apart.. i suggest that you do not take yours apart.

May 22, 2002 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 6
lol....that looks pretty well destroyed to me...
biggrin.gif

you guys have been hyping the value of modded ex70's so much that i ordered a pair....should get them in at the sony store this weekend....

this mod seems a little too destructive to me...so i'll start with the foam mod and tape mod and go from there...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2002 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 6
All I can say is, after my own software mod, I'm pretty jaded to all the hardware mods for the EX70 out there...
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 23, 2002 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by jlo mein
lol....that looks pretty well destroyed to me...
biggrin.gif

this mod seems a little too destructive to me...

that pic was before they were really destroyed... I tried to fix them when I got to that point and failed. The mod I described above isnt that risky. I am going to get a replacement pair tomorrow and try it again... without taking them apart... LOL, gluegun, sorry, I should have been more specific...
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

you should realy try the hardware mods for the ex70,, they are worth it every bit, I think. Just ask the gluegun siting on that shelf over there.....
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Questions:

1. Are we talking about glueing the 3 little holes on the backs of the silver driver assemblies as an alternative to taping them shut?

2. If I do want to glue those 3 holes shut, can I do it from the outside without destroying the innards?

3. Is Superglue as good as Elmers for this, or would it be too corrosive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back