EW9 (and ESW9) with iQube or Stax-SR001?
Feb 24, 2008 at 10:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DeTinux

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Since I registered here in january I already bought Audio-Technica CK7 and EW9. I ordered the ESW9 too, but don't have it yet. I have another € 400 to spend. I am considering two options:
  • An iQube amplifier
  • The Stax SR-001

They are both more or less the same price here. I will use it almost exclusively for solo piano (classical as well as jazz). I really, really love the sound of the EW9, but heard great things about the iQube as well as the Stax. I never listened to electrostats (am I very new to audio as an experience sui generis) Probably someone can help me?

Thanks in advance!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm electrostat all the way so, admitting my bias, I say the SR-001.

It has further potential too with the recent mods thread.

Admittedly some don't like the physical comfort so consider that aspect as well.

But I recently listened exclusively to Livewires for almost 3 months through a variety of very good portable amps (not the iQube though) and was really enjoying the sound of portable non-electrostatic systems. Then I listened to my Stax and recognised it was just that very much better (it just can't provide the isolation of the other rigs
wink.gif
).

If you're interested in iQube try PMing fkclo to enquire about the one he has on the FS threads. His equipment is always excellent (with a capital 'E') and he's explored a lot of amps so he could give you some good advice.

Good luck in your search for the right rig for you.

Feb 24, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks a lot. I probably have to listen to it myself then. How would you describe the sound signature of your SR 001? And I don't mind a certain lack of isolation, as long as others around me don't have to listen to my music. How's the leakage?

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot. I probably have to listen to it myself then. How would you describe the sound signature of your SR 001? And I don't mind a certain lack of isolation, as long as others around me don't have to listen to my music. How's the leakage?

The sound signature has been described around the place. Some say it's like the SR-007 (O2), just not to that level of resolution. It definitely has a top end roll off, but still produces good SQ across the spectrum.

Other around you will hear your music, but much less so than full size open headphones. It's tolerable for my wife when sitting in bed but if she really needs to get to sleep then I switch to the Livewires.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeTinux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks!

Is there anyone who can tell me if the Audio-Technica ATH-EW9 improve significantly when used with an amp? (The source is an iPod classic 6G 80 GB).

Absolutely no need for an amp with the iPod - save your money. The EW9 is superb for classical out of the iPod - immense soundstage. Need careful fitting to ears to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back