Everything You've Ever Wanted To Know About Balanced Armatures: by Eric Hruza from Sonion
Apr 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #46 of 69
Anyone has an idea about the 2 companies mentioned in part 2? I kinda have some names in mind... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #47 of 69
Actually, what I am saying is simply this: When you alter the length of the canal and the sound bores, you change the sound signature. The fit tips that manufactures provide do not change the canal length; nor do some 3rd party tips. But adding a custom sleeve does.

Apr 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #49 of 69
Quote:

Mmm, not necessarily. The distances are pretty much the same from spout to opening, provided the company does it the right way. It's just that acoustic silicone tubing behaves different from the plastic tubing in universals. But yes, it's unlikely that it'll sound identical, but it's not as difficult as one may think to get it to be 99% identical.

Heir has both universal and CIEM versions of the same IEM and all that have compared hear a difference and prefer the custom. It don't get closer.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #50 of 69
Quote:
Actually, what I am saying is simply this: When you alter the length of the canal and the sound bores, you change the sound signature. The fit tips that manufactures provide do not change the canal length; nor do some 3rd party tips. But adding a custom sleeve does.

http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2010/05/how-deep-do-you-insert-you-er4.html
http://rinchoi.blogspot.de/2012/12/the-effect-of-ear-sleeves-westone-4.html

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #52 of 69
This is very interesting. I especially enjoy the portion about "Where the market is going." The marketing aspect is becoming more important, as well as distribution, etc. He's saying that a lot of great models are failing because they don't have flames and skulls painted on them, and that a lot of low quality stuff is being sold in the $300 plus price range successfully because they're marketed correctly.

Thankfully, there will always be a market for very high quality headphones thanks to nerds like us :)

-sheldon

Apr 13, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #53 of 69
At a certain point, it seems ludicrous to argue with a person from a company that designs IEMs about the virtues of third-party reshelling.  For numerous reasons, what is he expected to say and how is that conversation useful?  His disapproval doesn't mean you're forbidden to reshell if you like.  He's not your dad.

That question seems better suited to a conversation with a reshelling company rep, whereas a number of other ones might be interesting to discuss with our UE friend.

What seems most pertinent (at least to me) is the significance of the variables which even the BA creator hadn't thought would matter. 

Apparently, those differences help to explain why IEMs with so many of the same parts can sound so different.  I'd be interested to know the aesthetic reasons for some of those differences between models and brands.  Are the designers looking for different kinds of sound and, if so, does it have to do with the house sound of the company?  Is the point to compensate for some other limitation?  Have Hruza's discoveries changed designers' approach to the character of the sound and the aspects which headphone enthusiasts want?

Do these minute discoveries change the recipe and, if so, how?

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #54 of 69
Honestly, that's little more than some playing to the crowd and spreading some FUD about every brand except themselves. Pure marketing push, little else.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #55 of 69
His take on measurements are a gross oversimplification. Can't help but feel he's missing variables but he doesn't provide anything to work with. Not his area of expertise though it seems

Other than that, interesting

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #59 of 69
can anyone explain about Dampers.. i'm kinda noob
well in Everything matters Part I ..that was hilarious when he mentioned that dampers were actually made for filtering blood.. 

Apr 25, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #60 of 69
Quote:
can anyone explain about Dampers.. i'm kinda noob
well in Everything matters Part I ..that was hilarious when he mentioned that dampers were actually made for filtering blood.. 

These damping elements are used between the speaker outlet and the ear canal to smoothen the frequency response. Various acoustical resistances and sizes are available.
Key features:
    1. Smoothen and shape frequency response
    2. Various acoustical resistances and sizes

http://www.seltech-international.com/en/Products/Acoustics/Sensors-accessories/Knowles-acoustic-dampers-screens-BF-Series.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back