Everything we know is wrong...
Apr 4, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Budgie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The measured performance can tell you whats wrong with a product, but not whats right with it.

I still ain't buying no stinking "pod".

I believe an open minded (blind?) test might surprise you ...

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:52 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManuLM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe an open minded (blind?) test might surprise you ...

Having an open source might be nice too. How many of you are locked into itunes, alac, and the apple apps store?

When Microsoft tied their OS to their browser the world cried foul. Now apple is doing the same thing. And it's even worse with the ipad. They are making their own chip, using their own OS, it only works with apps you can get from their istore and it won't allow you to play flash.

"The internet is supposed to be all about freedom and choice yet here comes Steve Jobs with an internet that is a completely closed system." [size=xx-small]NewsWeek Magazine[/size]

I'm not buying into apple's vertical-integration.

USG

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Those results don't look all that great too me.

x2. Nothing to see here.

"Channel separation was typically –50 dB, OK."

Seems like a really bung result. But maybe that's just me.
biggrin.gif

Additionally, the THD results are 7-14x worse than cheap dacs available.

Not sure what the point is!

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether or not the differences are audible is another question, but I didn't post this to say that an iPod out-performs every piece of high-end gear in the universe, but to demonstrate that it is not the dead, flat, lifeless-sounding crap many audiophiles pretend it is, and to inform all my fellow grumpy old men that that kid with the wires in his ears may not have it all so wrong after all.

But they are flat, lifeless crap. Measurements mean almost literally nothing when it comes to how a product actually sounds. The Audio-GD Compass was light years ahead of my iPod Touch 3G (which is touted as the best iPod outside of an iMod), and that's only $280.

Apr 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having an open source might be nice too. How many of you are locked into itunes, alac, and the apple apps store?

When Microsoft tied their OS to their browser the world cried foul. Now apple is doing the same thing. And it's even worse with the ipad. They are making their own chip, using their own OS, it only works with apps you can get from their istore and it won't allow you to play flash.

"The internet is supposed to be all about freedom and choice yet here comes Steve Jobs with an internet that is a completely closed system." [size=xx-small]NewsWeek Magazine[/size]

USG

What does that have to do with the subject at hand, exactly? That seemed completely out of left field.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does that have to do with the subject at hand, exactly? That seemed completely out of left field.

It was just another pet peeve about i-anythings.

USG

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

USG

Excellent post!
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #54 of 56
hey, I've never said All is good in the ipod. Just mentionned the sound, when flat EQ, is actually quite good, which is the topic here. EQ are quite disappointing on the pod.

Now I hate Itunes, and stick mainly to Cowon D2 since it allows me to manage my music in folders, as I always did, by hand :p

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Let no Apple opportunity go unbashed.

P

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But they are flat, lifeless crap. Measurements mean almost literally nothing when it comes to how a product actually sounds. The Audio-GD Compass was light years ahead of my iPod Touch 3G (which is touted as the best iPod outside of an iMod), and that's only $280.

Well, measurements "mean almost literally nothing" (pick a modifier, make a commitment) if you never look at them, don't take them seriously, and don't bother to relate them through listening to the sounds that they measure. But with practice, good comprehensive measurements (particularly FR) can pretty reliably predict how something will sound. Always useful in the world of pro audio. Very useful for consumers in this day of internet commerce.

And seriously - same file, same phones, same volume level - if you could reliably ID an iPod Touch from any other high-quality PMP, you would not be a subjectivist, you'd be a phenomenon. I don't doubt you heard a difference. I'd bet the farm it was a difference in gain.

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back