Eversolo DMP-A8 Streamer, DAP, DAC and Preamp
Nov 24, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #16 of 148
Clock, preamp, analog input, PS upgrades, DK about the processor...maybe the same.
Depends how you value SQ improvement and your pocket.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #18 of 148
Nov 30, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #19 of 148
iiWi Reviews Eversolo DMP-A8 w/ comparison to Gustard R26

Dec 4, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #21 of 148
Hey people can I output at the same time (the same stream) with usb and one other output (another usb or i2s or coax?)

Dec 4, 2023 at 12:43 PM Post #22 of 148
Hmm, this is probably a weird ask, but since the A8 can be a DAC, pre-amp, and player, I wonder if it is possible to play to an external DAC, but then have the external DAC output back into the analog inputs on the A8, and the A8 to then act as the pre-amp at the same time? The reason is that then any amp downstream can be connected just to the A8's analog outputs, and the user can get a choice of two DACs. Use the A8's internal DAC sometimes, but also have an R2R DAC or a super-analytical ESS DAC as an alternative option.

Also, the product page shows that there's a DSP suite in the A8. Parametric EQ, loudness correction, compressor (but no expander?), and delay. That doesn't seem to be present on the A6, and it appears to affect most inputs. Very interesting...
Yep I would be interested in the routing options of the A8 compared to the A6, is a loop back such as you describe permitted ? Then you could stream digital out, do some things like room correction, feed digital back in, apply DSP and do the final conversion? Also does the DSP including the FIR filtering apply only when the internal DAC is being employed? The manual would be helpfull but I can't get it to download from the Eversolo site.

Dec 4, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #23 of 148
Manual added in post #2.
Click to open/download or Right-click then Save as...

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #24 of 148
Manual added in post #2.
Click to open/download or Right-click then Save as...
Thanks for the manual link. Interesting read, the routing now allows the new I2S output to be chosen if you are sending in at least some of the digital input options. The second main point I see is that the DSP features operate on either the internal music player or any of the digital inputs, you can only hear the effect of any DSP via the analog outputs. There are QR links in this manual to two further manuals describing the DSP functions and the FIR component and how it operates with REW. The DSP overview is general but seems to refer to the PEQ as having fixed frequency bands, but this is possibly out of date already I think. The FIR manual is somewhat more daunting and the novice will need to read a lot of REW documentation to understand some of this. All DSP incidentally involves a resampling of the incoming streams to 48 kHz, and there are limitation on how high the incoming rate can be I,e. 192 kHz upper limit. Lots to peruse and absorb. I already use a miniDSP digital box for room correction Dirac Live and PEQ on the digital output of my DMP-A6, so I am looking at how easy each path is to achieve potentially similar results if I were to purchase the A8. Of course the DMP-A8 is really outsourcing the bulk of the room correction stuff to REW and just using the calculated filter to do the final correction calculation.

Dec 5, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #25 of 148
Is the A8 worth the upgrade if you use a A6 with a external dac?
You could for example upgrade the a6 with a lps ups. (Then it is still way cheaper than a A8) and a nice small form factor.

I won’t use the preamp part.

I understand the akm dac part sounds better analog, but if you use your own dac, I am a fan of the chord dacs, like the Qutest.

is a A6 not a better (cheaper choice) in that case?, or does the a8 still sound better (even if the A8 is used as a digital out streamer only)

Nowhere I see the test compared if you only use it as a streamer device, do the femto clock matter in that case?

Dec 7, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #26 of 148
I have just ordered the A8 here in Canada.

I originally was leaning towards the A6 but lack of analog inputs and remote was keeping me from committing. Then it was only this morning that I saw the A8 existed and is already released into the wild. Lots of boxes ticked with this model.

A8 will be replacing an aged, yet still somewhat capable, Cambridge CXN (first gen) that I’ve had for something like 7 years. Streamer will connect to NAD C368 which has Bluesound module so audio comparisons inevitable.

Hopefully will have the Eversolo early next week.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 148
Hey people can I output at the same time (the same stream) with usb and one other output (another usb or i2s or coax?)
Trying to bump this question to see if anyone has an answer :)

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 148
Is there any advantage to the A8 over the A6 master edition, when using as a (SPDIF or AES) streamer only? (That is, not using the DAC at all.) My main discriminator is the quality of the clocks, but the A8 and A6-master seem to have the same clocks (whereas the original A6 has an inferior clock).

Dec 12, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #29 of 148
Is there any advantage to the A8 over the A6 master edition, when using as a (SPDIF or AES) streamer only? (That is, not using the DAC at all.) My main discriminator is the quality of the clocks, but the A8 and A6-master seem to have the same clocks (whereas the original A6 has an inferior clock).
I would like to know that to! Because in that case the master edition + updated lps power supply is still almost 500€ euro cheaper than the A8

(I don’t care about dsp, preamp, dac is only nice to have for me)

Unless the A8 is so much better analog wise? because I actually really really disliked the A6 analog output, I can't explain what it was it had some clinicall sounding output. I like neutral sounding dacs, but hate clinical.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back