Eversolo DMP-A6 Network Streamer/DAC
Jan 6, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #542 of 815
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #546 of 815
I wish we would quantify improvements. Is using the A6 with a ~ $1,000 external DAC vs. the A6 Master with the same external DAC a sizable difference? Is it worth an additional $400? I don't doubt that there is indeed a difference. What's the return on investment? Would the money be better served to upgrade other components? Same question for the A8 as I have no use for its DSP and Preamp features. Thank you.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #547 of 815
Power supply improving digital sound? Haha
mRj.gif

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #548 of 815
I always take the word of people who trust lines on a graph more than their own ears. Whenever I bring out my favorite test tone I love to rock out to measurements

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #550 of 815
I only use the A6 for streaming (+ some local FLAC). Of course, it would be great to have a cheaper version without the DAC section, but I am not sure how much cheaper it would be. $600 instead of $800 at best? The thing is, as a streamer the A6 sounds clearer, more detailed and better balanced than any Bluesound or iFi streamer under $1000. People who tried $1000+ streamers say the A6 can compete with even higher priced dedicated streamers. This makes it a good deal even with a built in DAC for $800. The best/clearest sounding streamer under $1K shall we say?

I have recently spent a week exclusively with the A6 as a DAC too. Normally I use my Pegasus R2R with a SR Purple fuse (I know it sounds crazy, but the fuse indeed improves the clarity of the DAC). This experience hasn't changed my view. The DAC in the A6 is decent, if I really had to, I could probably live with it. Its performance is around your average $400-$500 d/s DAC. I wouldn't even say the difference is night and day between these two DACs, but switching back to my (upgraded) Pegasus after a week did reveal some obvious changes in sound. My R2R sounds clearer than the A6 DAC, there is a lot more 3D space with more depth, better breathability and instrument separation. More natural details are coming through, as it is easier to hear them in this more natural and airier presentation. Tone is also more lifelike with more refined textures, resolution is higher. A6 DAC in comparison sounds a bit congested especially in the upper mids and treble. Also the soundscape is flatter, but actually not too bad for a d/s at this price.

So, yeah, for me the A6 was worth it as a streamer for its sound and also the ease of use (that is night and day versus the iFi Zen Stream for example). If Eversolo comes out with a Streamer only device I might be interested, but I probably couldn't sell my A6 for enough money to make the change worth let's say for a $500 A6 streamer. A $1000 A8 streamer could be interesting too, but that is kind of the very top of my budget I would ever consider spending on a streamer only device. For now my A6 does the job and does it very well.
The A6 analogue out (using Tidal) sucks! We can safely ignore your opinion.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 1:05 AM Post #551 of 815
I wish we would quantify improvements. Is using the A6 with a ~ $1,000 external DAC vs. the A6 Master with the same external DAC a sizable difference? Is it worth an additional $400? I don't doubt that there is indeed a difference. What's the return on investment? Would the money be better served to upgrade other components? Same question for the A8 as I have no use for its DSP and Preamp features. Thank you.
This was exactly my dilemma in beginning of last year. I did audition a6 and a6 Master at the local dealer office for 45 min using high class external dacs (since that would have been my case). The external dacs were Mojo2, iFi iDSD Pro, TT2 and some Audiolab. I did not find any difference b/n a6 and a6 Master when used like streamers, neither for headphones, nor for speakers. The used headphones were HD800s and Stax 007 mk2, the speakers Klipsch the Sevens.
There was slight difference only when a6 and a6 Master were used with the internal dac, like a6 Master giving slightly more depth and body (according to me).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #552 of 815
The A6 analogue out (using Tidal) sucks! We can safely ignore your opinion.
Looks like, this thread is full of gentlemen these days.

I don't use Tidal and I don't use analogue out on the A6 for music. It is always better to refrain from commenting until you fully understand what you are reacting to, otherwise you might come across as aggressive and/or ignorant.
Not for your, but for other readers interest I mostly use Qobuz or local FLAC via Supra USB cable to my R2R DAC then balanced interconnects to my amp.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2024 at 4:27 AM Post #553 of 815
This was exactly my dilemma in beginning of last year. I did audition a6 and a6 Master at the local dealer office for 45 min using high class external dacs (since that would have been my case). The external dacs were Mojo2, iFi iDSD Pro, TT2 and some Audiolab. I did not find any difference b/n a6 and a6 Master when used like streamers, neither for headphones, nor for speakers. The used headphones were HD800s and Stax 007 mk2, the speakers Klipsch the Sevens.
There was slight difference only when a6 and a6 Master were used with the internal dac, like a6 Master giving slightly more depth and body (according to me).
Between A6 and master differences were small, the real difference started with the A8. So that’s why I think the better sound digital is a combition of things. Analogue the difference was huge, and digital more than enough for not liking the a6

So maybe the the power supply has
The most impact. But a the third party power supply almost cost 300 euro for A6. And messing with a device in warranty not my thing.

Jan 7, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #554 of 815
The streamer is exactly the same in the A6 and A6 Master. The difference is only some better-quality DAC components. If you are planning to use an external DAC, the normal A6 is enough for streaming. With the A8 it might be different, but I would only buy A8 if I was going to use its internal DAC. Which I am not interested in since I prefer R2R to d/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back