Ever misinterpret an acronym? Maybe you didn't... - LOL
Jul 14, 2006 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
I remember back in the 'BBS days' before the Internet was big, I used to use LOL as a signoff meaning 'Lots of Love'.

My Wife thought it was pretty funny how I got the meaning completely wrong, but maybe I wasn't...

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...d&string=exact

Turns out that is one of the meanings. Anyone else remember this?

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 23
i enjoy trying to BS my way through defining acronyms. Like S is usually software, or system, etc and P is usually process or phase. Wish I could come up with some examples right now, but I've sat through many a meeting trying to figure out what in the heck people are talking about. Makes for interesting times.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 23
speaking of, what does FTW mean? I see people type it, but I just can't figure it out.

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
speaking of, what does FTW mean? I see people type it, but I just can't figure it out.

From Wikkipedia:

"FTW", a backward acronym for "What" used when there exists an even greater degree of confusion than called for by "What".

Jul 15, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
From Wikkipedia:

"FTW", a backward acronym for "What" used when there exists an even greater degree of confusion than called for by "What".

I've always defined it as "For The Win".

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0
From Wikkipedia:

It's "For The Win".

Jul 15, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
It's "For The Win".

you mean
for teh winzor
eggosmile.gif

Jul 15, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
My Wife thought it was pretty funny how I got the meaning completely wrong, but maybe I wasn't...

About ten years ago, in a mountain biking channel on IRC, someone sent me a private message asking "ASL?". In my line of work, ASL stands for "Above Sea Level", so I responded by asking why he wanted to know the elevation ASL of my present location. I had no clue that he was actually asking for my "Age/Sex/Location".
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm

Back in the day (i.e. late-'70s), FTW stood for "Frank The Welder", the nickname for Frank Wadelton, an early mountain biking pioneer. Nowadays, it stands for "For The Win" (f0r 73h w1nz0r5!). I still think of Frank first when I see "FTW", though.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
liek zomg rofflecopter j00 iz rightz0rs. ECHO_ FOR TEH WINZ0R! i g0t pwned, lollerskates
tongue.gif

roflcopter.gif

It took me ages to work out what AFAIK stood for once I first saw it. And Im still not sure about IIRC, internet internet relay chat?

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #13 of 23
If I Recall Correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back